Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
strwberry2178

Does bacteria acne EVER go away?

I started using retin-a and benzaclin 4 years ago on my back, chest, and face because my derm. told me that my acne was caused by bacteria. Well...now I just use benzaclin and my back is pretty clear most of the month and my face usually breaks out before my period, even though I still use the benzaclin. I was just wondering if my acne will ever go away because of this. I use antibacterial soap too..so that might help...but am I going to have to use these medicines my whole life!? Thanks!

If you're breaking out around your period, your acne is almost definitely related to hormones, not just bacteria. You really don't want to be on antibiotics long-term, it's terrible for your body, messes with digestion, immunity, and a plethora of other things, so it's best not to think of those as a permanent solution. I also feel like you probably don't really need an antibacterial soap in addition to a topical antibiotic, it might be better to switch to something even more gentle. Antibacterial soaps can work for some, but be too harsh for others, and mess up the balance of your skin.

I'm on Benzaclin too, but I'm hoping that as I address my more internal, hormonal issues, I'll be able to switch that to plain old BP minus the antibiotic, although topicals like Benzaclin are definitely less harsh side-effect wise than oral antibiotics.

Is there any way you can get a second opinion and figure out a treatment that more directly addresses your hormonal issues?

Well..I would prefer to just be able to use soap and not the medicines at all. I've spent so much money on acne products over the past 4 years...it's ridiculous.

I'm also on Ocella right now..but I want to switch to ortho tri cyclen maybe...because I just don't want to be on this one anymore.

Well..I would prefer to just be able to use soap and not the medicines at all. I've spent so much money on acne products over the past 4 years...it's ridiculous.

I'm also on Ocella right now..but I want to switch to ortho tri cyclen maybe...because I just don't want to be on this one anymore.

What I'm finding more and more is that topicals just aren't enough if the issue's coming from inside. :( For some people, their acne is a surface issue and is easily treated by topicals, for others, there's something deeper going on. There are definitely multiple ways to address hormonal acne though, you could experiment with a low carb/sugar diet to try to keep hormonal spikes under control more holistically if you'd rather not go on a pill. But I've heard good things about ortho tri cyclen, so that's probably worth a try. For me, birth control just doesn't agree with me (it doesn't affect my acne at all, whether positively or negatively, when I'm on it now, and I'm pretty sure going off it because of other negative side effects was what caused issues for me in the first place), so I've decided to try Spironolactone... which apparently is a pretty good solution for hormonal acne.