Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

okay guys, hello im new here and all and i just want to go ahead and start venting about my acne. and see what type of information i can receive from you guys.

okay....i am 18 right now just finished high school. i guess i first started noticing i had acne in probably 8th grade. but either way it didn't really start bothering me until high school. all of high school i dealt with some pretty damn big pimples. i have a lot of small red bumps all over my face however..sooo i will please like some advice...here is my situation..i am a pretty active person i think, get normal amount of sun and what not, drink ALOT of water, eat healthy and all of that. so its not my diet or anything in that area...its just my face, my face is super prone to pimples. i have alot of red small bumps but every now and then ill get this red area that will just hurt....those always turn out to become huuuge pimples!! but i just want a clear face and to not have anymore damn breakouts!!! I currently use proactiv and i will tell you right now...its much better than what most people say. i know that if it wasn't for proactiv my face atm would be alot worse. !!!!how i care for my skin:::... EVERY MORNING: take a hot shower but avoid hitting the water with my face..when i want to get my face wet i put the water to lukewarm...wet it for a little while then run my hands over my face for a few seconds...then use the renewing cleanser ( benzoyl peroxide) about the amount of the size of a dime...massage that on my face for a minute or 2 then wash with room temp water or mildly cold water. pat dry then follow with the Revitalizing Toner, let that dry then i apply the lotion.

i do the same thing at night, and fyi i have been using rose water on my under eye to get rid of these dreadful dark circles i have. but thats besides the point, sooo...what am i doing wrong...my face gets better at times but then another breakout slowly come again.

Bump....only thread without a reply??! Cmon guys. I will be writing a decent writeup of my steps and Percautions when I get home tonight

Stop being gentle its not always best. thats why proactiv "seems" to help. It is helping but not 100% right? Throw out the proactiv cleanser and get a good detergent soap and wash twice a day with a washcloth and hot water. You have to get the oil and dirt off, its a must. the toner is fine but expensive i think its a rip. get good astringent like seabreeze its way cheaper. Use it until the cotton balls are coming up clean twice a day. use the BP if you want. It doesn't do much for me and once again its expensive. If you think i'm crazy and that being gentle is best, try this: wash like you normally do but then take a cotton ball and some of that toner and rub around a small area of your face and just see how much dirt, oil, and gunk you didn't wash off. I know, everyone says not to wash off all your oil, i say bull crap, cause if i don't consistently scrub the oil and dirt off my face i get clogged pores and pimples.

Stop being gentle its not always best. thats why proactiv "seems" to help. It is helping but not 100% right? Throw out the proactiv cleanser and get a good detergent soap and wash twice a day with a washcloth and hot water. You have to get the oil and dirt off, its a must. the toner is fine but expensive i think its a rip. get good astringent like seabreeze its way cheaper. Use it until the cotton balls are coming up clean twice a day. use the BP if you want. It doesn't do much for me and once again its expensive. If you think i'm crazy and that being gentle is best, try this: wash like you normally do but then take a cotton ball and some of that toner and rub around a small area of your face and just see how much dirt, oil, and gunk you didn't wash off. I know, everyone says not to wash off all your oil, i say bull crap, cause if i don't consistently scrub the oil and dirt off my face i get clogged pores and pimples.

thanks for the reply, much appreciated...money is not the issue here...i thought the BP for proactiv is the cleanser..? either way my toner is out right now, so im using a very generic one that has pretty much the same ingredients however. I will be writing my write up tommorow...couldn't get to it today...once again thanks for the reply.

I completely disagree with Mattsushi. Here's why:

-Being aggressive with your skin with do two things: Cause damage making your skin more vulnerable to infection, and increase oil production long term.

-Strong detergent cleansers are sulfate based. Sulfates are known irritants AND comedogens. This is why many people have "stubborn acne", because they keep using sulfates on their skin. They irritate your skin and clog your pores. Very bad.

If you're suffering from very oily skin, try cutting some things out from your diet. You can't expect to have nice skin if what you put inside you is junk.

Have you considered the regimen? I'm almost completely clear after a month. This is what I'm using:

-Dove Beauty Bar: This is very gentle and leaves no residue on your skin. It just cleans, nothing fancy and not irritating.

-Dan's BP: This kills the bacteria and dries out the oil. If your skin isn't making as much oil, you don't have as much to worry about.

-Eucerin Daily Protection Moisturizer: Protects and moisturizes efficiently, without clogging.

Thats funny, none of that stuff you think you know applies to me whatsoever. Not everyone is the same, we don't all have super sensitive skin. I have tried all that gentle crap and it doesn't work. I have cleared my skin by using those so called acne causing things you speak of. A good soap and lots of it to get rid of oil. A harsh astringent as a follow up. No moisturizer (don't need it). Exfoliate 3 times a week. Many people have stubborn acne because they listen to people like you who continue to perpetuate all this gentle natural bs.

Thats funny, none of that stuff you think you know applies to me whatsoever. Not everyone is the same, we don't all have super sensitive skin. I have tried all that gentle crap and it doesn't work. I have cleared my skin by using those so called acne causing things you speak of. A good soap and lots of it to get rid of oil. A harsh astringent as a follow up. No moisturizer (don't need it). Exfoliate 3 times a week. Many people have stubborn acne because they listen to people like you who continue to perpetuate all this gentle natural bs.

You must be one in a million then.

I agree with CelloisLove: try the Regimen. :)

You are right, not everyone's skin is the same and therefore, the treatment is also not the same.

But boy, I do envy you for having such tough skin, which doesn't dry from all the things you do.

I have a weird question for you. Where are you breaking out? Is it along the cheek area? That has to do with digestion. When I was in high school I had really bad bad huge acne too. I'm 20 now. It wasn't until I got out that I started to notice something...... my bowels. Are you going every day? I know it's a weird question. But once I started taking care of that problem my acne has increasingly gotten better. I suggest taking metamusial! It's seriously changed my life... if you're having this problem look into it! Hope that helps ;)

thanks for all the info and opinions every one...some good insight.

and yes to lipslikesugar i do go everyday,i have a good diet which in involves fiber.

My acne is kind of clearing up atm. Still have oily skin and what not, i need to start changing my pillowcases much more often. i have a feeling that's a major cause, because most of my acne is on my cheek. I always try to fall asleep laying down on my bed, back of my head resting on the pillow so im looking up at the ceiling. So that means most of my hair is on the pillow and then i almost always wake up with my face in the pillow.

updating this.... so yes like i said on the previous post up there ^^

i have been changing my pillowcases every 2 days. and on the second day of my fresh pillowcase i will just flip the pillow and use the other side that has not been used yet...

i still have alot of acne on my cheeks mostly...no where on my nose,chin,or forehead.

I have been taking 2 pills of fish oil, vitamin A, Vitamin C and vitamin D every morning, for about 2 weeks now with little to no results.

Hm, sounds a lot like me through highschool and it always got worse. I would have several(15+) smaller red ones, some would come to a head some would not, and get atleast a couple times a week a HUGE one that would last for a week or 2. If I used nothing my entire face no lyes would literally be swarmed. I just got it under control, less then 3 spots and no huge cysts.

The whole time i was using acne products to fight p acnes, the bacteria that is said to cause acne.

Later I found out its a natural fungas or yeast on my face that is causing a lot of it so i started using a znp bar for my face wash and it cleared me up alot when using bp aswell

so how did you find out that was your problem? either way i am done with high school btw lol

getting pretty desperate here. i cant take any more of this god damn acne. my face was getting pretty clear. but then i broke out....again....time after time i just keep breaking out all over my cheecks...now i also got one huge painful zit on my forehead. i mean this shit is getting ridiculous...i tried a strict diet and it didnt work...im thinking of flushing my liver.

Hi there!

I had very severe acne all through High School and nothing helped. I even used Proactive, which made my skin worse. The only thing that had a serious effect and got rid of my acne once and for all was Accutane, which was perscribed by my doctor. It is extremely strong modified vitamin A that dries out your skin completely. It can have some pretty serious side effects, but i researched it before I started taking it and knew several people who had taken it who were all very satisfied. I had to take it for 6 months and it made my lips crack and I had to use a fat cream to moisterize my skin and lips every day, but my acne disapeared and it was worth it.

dont use any benzoyl peroxide or any chemical crap on your face bro, use either plain water or purpose soap bar..its the best way to go do that for like a month if it aint cleared up yet then go to the doctor and get some prescription pills

dont use any benzoyl peroxide or any chemical crap on your face bro, use either plain water or purpose soap bar..its the best way to go do that for like a month if it aint cleared up yet then go to the doctor and get some prescription pills

really? I mean dans regimen has bp in it...I definitely think that accutane is a overkill for my acne. i dont have cystic acne just mild red acne on my cheeks. alot of redding and bumps. Isnt there an alternative? something not as strong as accutane?

really? I mean dans regimen has bp in it...I definitely think that accutane is a overkill for my acne. i dont have cystic acne just mild red acne on my cheeks. alot of redding and bumps. Isnt there an alternative? something not as strong as accutane?

yes there is, i use doxycycline ive been on it for about a month now my face has gotten alot better but now im gonna stop using any chemicals on my face just use either plain water or a small amount of soap after the gym..im pretty sure my acne should be gone within a month so ill respond back in a month and tell you if it worked lol but good luck bro

UPDATE!!!

making moves people! i have an appointment with a derm setup on Friday, hopefully i get some prescription. And, i just got Dans regimen in the mail, ditching the proactiv!

Edited by carbinered

Hello,

Just want to give you some words of encouragement, hang in there. I had mild to moderate acne in highschool so I can feel your pain. Ask your derm about clindamycin, Differin, and doxycycline or tetracycline. Have you ever tried Cetaphil Gentle Cleansing Anti-Bacterial Bar? Your acne may be caused from uncontrolled bacteria on your skin. I use doxycycline 100mg, clindamycin once in the morning (otherwise it will dry your skin out), Cetaphil anti-bacterial cleansing bar twice daily, Differen 1% at night, and neutragena 2.5% BP on trouble spots at night and sometimes morning. I have had bad experiences with Dan's BP, it may work for you though. I moisturize with Cerave moisturizing lotion in the morning, great moisturizer that is very light and non-comodogenic.

Just want to let you know that the majority of people grow out of acne, but there is no "cure" or miracle treatment. The best you can do is try to keep it under control, but until your body balances itself (hormones, digestion, etc.) you will get pimples. It may even get worse before it gets better, but it will get better.

Edited by Thomas H.

Try reducing the chemicals you put on your face.

I had my first dermatologist appointment last January, I went because my mom made me. I had VERY mild acne. Maybe two little redspots on my chin, and that was it. But my mom thought that I should get into a "good skin care routine" because my brother had REALLY bad acne and had to go through Accutane.

I went back today frustrated. I have some acne on my forehead, and a lot of my cheecks like you as well. None on my chin or nose.

He prescribed two NEW topical creams, some wipe thing I'm suppossed to use twice a day, NEW pills, and he wants me to switch my clensers. However, in my case, and possibly even you case (with the cheeck acne), I think the less we put on our face, the better.

Before I went to the dermatologist, I just used a washcloth and soap once a night, no problems.

Now I spend 20-30 in the bathroom every night doing a routine to see my acne getting continually worse.

Look for simple ways to clear acne. Dermatologists are smart people, but sometimes pouring chemicals on your skin will do more harm than good. Just be aware.

Good luck! And keep us updated.

UPDATE #2

Went to the derm. they tried to throw a bunch of what seemed "unneccessary" components for my medication which included a cleanser/mousturizer which is already in Dans regimen. i ended up not paying the $450.00 and ended up only paying for my first time visit and left with about 8 free samples of oracea i did my research and the side effects seem pretty serious, including yeast infection even amongst men like me. however, as my "acne" (which im guessing is now determined to be "rosacea" as oracea is made to treat rosacea.) got progressively worse with no real results from dans regimen i decided to take my first pill today. i didn't get any side effects at all maybe a little back pain but nothing bad at all. then again i heard it takes about a week of taking a medication to feel any side effects. either way, i hope oracea shows some results. im tires of these red mars,pimples, and small bumps all over my face.