Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Le_Chaim

Help- Retin A is making my skin more oily!

I had dry skin before I started using Retin-A Micro, and now it gets oily within an hour of washing my face! I don't use any other acne meds, and Retin-A Micro has been the only change in my skin care routine, so what gives? I heard Retin-A was supposed to dry out oily skin, not make dry skin become oily!

Can anyone shed some light on this or give me some advice please? Thanks!

Blot; that'll take care of the feeling.

I doubt that the Retin A is causing more oil. It is possibly the feeling of the medication itself that's making you think your skin is more oily. Or humidity in your area, or temperature, or other myriads of factors that can increase the perception of oiliness.

Blot; that'll take care of the feeling.

I doubt that the Retin A is causing more oil. It is possibly the feeling of the medication itself that's making you think your skin is more oily. Or humidity in your area, or temperature, or other myriads of factors that can increase the perception of oiliness.

I've considered that, but I doubt it's percieved oiliness. For one, I get oily during the day when I don't have Retin-A on my face, as well as in the evening after I have applied the medication. As for temperature and humidity, I live in an area that's relatively dry, and the temperature has not changed much since I started using Retin-A.

Any other ideas?

And Anti-Em, isn't it frustrating? How did you deal with it?

I'm having the same problem, but it may be because of the weather. During the winter, the product made my skin really dry. I'm not having that problem at all this time.

Since you don't think that's a factor, here is my only other guess:

Retin-a Micro and retinoids exfoliate your skin, so it could be that it is removing dead skin that was previously clogging up your pores and keeping the oil from reaching your skin's surface. I have EXTREMELY oily skin and if I don't exfoliate in some manner on a regular basis, I get a coating of dead skin on my face, which prevents me from sweating properly when exercising and makes my skin look very unattractive.