Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wasteofpaint

shaving and your skin

I am very inconsistent with shaving. Sometimes I'll try to shave everyday for two weeks, and then not shave at all the following two weeks. All i have is red marks and scars now so shaving is nowhere near as complicated as it used to be. But there is one thing that has always bothered me.

I've noticed every time after I shave I will feel oily for the entire day and sometimes two. When I let my facial hair grow out, my skin feels a lot more clean. Completely ironic considering first that facial hair and clean are seldom seen in the same sentence and secondly because hair has oil in it which completely contradicts the feeling on my skin. Is this due to irritation from shaving? If so, how do I reduce the irritation? I use shaving cream for sensitive skin and I have experimented with just about every multi-blade razor from 2-5. I now use 3 blade because I feel 2 is basically pulling the hair out and 5 is cutting too close. Its all really arbitrary though.

Do you get the same feeling of oiliness, does your face appear to be more red the closer its shaven? Is it something psychology for me, or is my skin really getting oily?

Edited by wasteofpaint

I get the same thing... not sure why either!

However, if I go a week without shaving my skin will get too dry...

I get the exact same thing. I'm beginning to wonder if it has anything to do with the shaving cream/gel that I use, more so than how often I shave. However, how often I do or do not shave may be a factor.

I do know that a lot of shaving gels and creams can contain ingredients that can cause breakouts, so maybe something in the cream is irritating or stripping too much moisture from your skin? As of tomorrow, I'll be switching to plain aloe vera gel as a shaving lotion.

I'll keep you updated if I notice anything.

I get that feeling too, it's gross. I suspect it might be due to my "moisturizing" shave gel... It's a shared can but I should probably buy something else for my own use since I figure moisturizing is not something my skin really needs.

I'm overdue for a shave, too.. I dislike it but I gotta stop leaving it so long, after two weeks of growth it's a real chore.

I am very inconsistent with shaving. Sometimes I'll try to shave everyday for two weeks, and then not shave at all the following two weeks. All i have is red marks and scars now so shaving is nowhere near as complicated as it used to be. But there is one thing that has always bothered me.

I've noticed every time after I shave I will feel oily for the entire day and sometimes two. When I let my facial hair grow out, my skin feels a lot more clean. Completely ironic considering first that facial hair and clean are seldom seen in the same sentence and secondly because hair has oil in it which completely contradicts the feeling on my skin. Is this due to irritation from shaving? If so, how do I reduce the irritation? I use shaving cream for sensitive skin and I have experimented with just about every multi-blade razor from 2-5. I now use 3 blade because I feel 2 is basically pulling the hair out and 5 is cutting too close. Its all really arbitrary though.

Do you get the same feeling of oiliness, does your face appear to be more red the closer its shaven? Is it something psychology for me, or is my skin really getting oily?

The same thing used to happen with my skin whenever I used to shave with a three bladed razor but after I stopped using a razor and switched to an electric trimmer I have no issues with my facial hair or my skin. You can get a close shave using a trimmer taking out the comb attachment and also the best part is trimming is far less time consuming and irritating than shaving. ;)

I have tried EVERYTHING as far as shaving goes, and have finally came to a back-to-basics regimen. I was previously using the Bump Fighter Razor, but just wasn't cutting close enough, AND it was giving me some irritation, plus the usual shaving bumps. I was also using an organic shaving cream made by Kiss My Face. I decided to switch to a Bic Metal Razor, these are sharp, much more so than the Bump Fighter. What I think it does is shave your hair from your skin at the proper angle, it seems engineered a little bit different than other disposables. It has a metal bar on it, kinda like an old-school razor would. It worked well, but not so much so with the KMF Moisture Shave. I ditched that as well, and went back to the old Aveeno, shaving snobs would most likely call this goo-in-a-can. I'd like to add that you can cut back on the hot water, and try using tepid water...not hot, not cold - lukewarm.