Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mary2010

Never Worn Makeup - Need Help

Hi you guys,

My acne is starting to go so really, what I have is some pigmentation (not a lot) and scars on my cheeks and nose/pin pricks/holes - whatever you want to call it.

I was told that Dermalogica treatment foundation would help, so I tried it out and I hated it - I could still see the scarring on my cheeks. It was just a different colour.

I saw a video tutorial of makeup and the girl was using Urban Decay foundation - which I really liked because it seems so easy to put on with the brush, so I thought I might go and buy it.

I messaged her first asking whether it'd be good for open pores and she said I'd need a silicone primer first, which Smashbox, GOSH etc. do.

To be honest I don't want to put on eye makeup etc. because I want to take this in small steps. I just want the marks covered first and not look like I'm wearing makeup, more like a cream or something, but something that will cover my cheeks properly.

I love in London and am around Oxford Street a lot, although I travel a lot throughout London so I'm open to suggestions on where to go for advice or places to buy products from.

Please help me with reviews or something. Not too overwhelming though. I hope you can structure your posts in a easy way for me to understand because I find I can't digest this stuff too well so it'll take me time.

:)

If there are specific spots you want to cover then I suggest just using a concealer. If you find one that matches your skin color, this might be all you need. You can just apply it to the spots you want and gently blend it out. Cream concealers (they're thick and pasty) probably offer the most coverage, in my opinion, but loose, mineral concealers are probably the most skin-friendly and do a pretty good job - especially over foundations!

If you find a concealer alone to be too splotchy and would rather use something on your entire face then you should use a foundation, like that by Urban Decay. A primer may or may not help - due to their gaining popularity, there are probably tons to try now! I have one by Philosophy, I believe it's called "The Present". It works fine - I'm not a huge fan of primers because I personally don't think they make much of a difference. They don't do much to control oil nor reduce the appearance of pores for me...but some people swear by them. I'm not sure if you could find this in England but if it is sold there, I would suggest Monistat's Anti-Chafing Gel. It is not sold as a makeup primer but many people use it as such and it is cheap - so! it would be a great way to see if primers would help you without spending a lot money. Also, there are a few threads about it here if you would like to learn more about it.

If you're clearing up, you should be cautious about what you use so that you don't get the acne back! Look for things that are non-comedogenic and take note of the ingredients used that way you know what works for you and what doesn't.

I'm not sure if you have a specific question about anything or not...let us know if there's something in particular you're interested in finding or want to know!

I don't have spots. I may have teeny bumps on my head but that is like one or two and even they're not noticebale. it my cheek scars/pits that are, and on my nose.

I saw something called urban decay foundation and it seemed to work so good on a video I saw of someone using it. I went in store and asked the lady to put it on me. She tried nirvana but it was too light, then she tried dream but I felt that didn't match my skin colour at all. I also hated it bacsue it looked powdery on my face and I hate that look. I don't mind my face looking like it has cream on it, but not makeup. It was good coverage though, it really did hide the pits.open pores/ scars which I was told it won't do.

I asked her if there is a creamy type one and she said there is one that is like a moisturiser but it is light coverage whereas the foundation was good coverage. I didn't try other brands. Oh, I just realised you wrote urban decay too!

If you find a concealer alone to be too splotchy and would rather use something on your entire face then you should use a foundation, like that by Urban Decay. A primer may or may not help - due to their gaining popularity, there are probably tons to try now! I have one by Philosophy, I believe it's called "The Present". It works fine - I'm not a huge fan of primers because I personally don't think they make much of a difference. They don't do much to control oil nor reduce the appearance of pores for me...but some people swear by them. I'm not sure if you could find this in England but if it is sold there, I would suggest Monistat's Anti-Chafing Gel. It is not sold as a makeup primer but many people use it as such and it is cheap - so! it would be a great way to see if primers would help you without spending a lot money. Also, there are a few threads about it here if you would like to learn more about it.

If you're a teenager (which I am assuming) use a light-coverage foundation and get a concealor stick for the trouble spots. A heavy-covering foundation will harm your skin rather than help it. If it's available where you are I suggest CG Clean Makeup, or, Maybelline NY Dream Liquid Mousse, or some form of power (mineral or not!) Look aout for ingredients like Talc, that will clog pores and make it worse, however ingredients like Mica are better for you skin and can help it. If you need tips on other things like proper coverage there is a book out there called Pro Makeup by Kit Spencer. It's really helpful to beginners or wherever you are on the scale. It'll teach you tricks to cover you acne well.

Have fun in the lovely world of cosmetics and always check the label! :D

Edited by ThePaperBagPrincess

Look aout for ingredients like Talc, that will clog pores and make it worse

Where did you get that Talc will clog pores? It's not comedogenic.

I'm new to makeup myself, and I've heard that mineral makeup is worth trying. Right now I'm interested in Lily Lolo mineral makeup. Its free from a lot of bad chemicals and they have cheap samples on their website that you can order to try. A foundation sample costs £1.25 and stuff like blush and concealer is about 75p. their website is Lilylolo.co.uk

If you want the least amount of coverage I would suggest buying a tinted moisturizer and then covering your marks/scars with a concealer. If you want full coverage then Urban Decay's foundation is good, but there are always others out there whether it be drug store or high end. The best drug store in my opinion is Revlon Colorstay, but there are mixed reviews that some people say it breaks them out while others say it was fine. I can tell you that one of the best high end foundations though is probably Make Up For Ever. It provides good even coverage and I'm not sure if it's clogs pores but I'm assuming it doesn't.

If you need a good concealer, the best one I have found is Kat Von D's tattoo concealer. It lasts FOREVER!!! And you only need a tiny tiny bit to hide imperfections.

i too am a beginner to make-up and i know what you mean by overwhelming. this is how i'm slowly taking it.

1. i realized that i can buy awesome make-up but if i dont know how to apply it its going to look bad and i'm probably going to hate the make-up when its my applying technique that's the problem so i'm starting at the methods of how to apply the make-up first. there's a number of ways to apply stuff but there seems to be a consensus that using brushes will make everything look better so i invested in 2 basic brushes right now.

i recommend getting a stippling brush to apply your make-up with. its so easy to use its really the idiots brush to applying foundation and other similar stuff with. right now i suck at knowing how to really apply make-up but this brush just makes everything easy for me and makes my make-up look even and like i know what i'm doing. cost me about $40 but its so worth it.

looks like this. in terms of brand i don't think it really should matter if you get it from one of the higher end companies.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff314/f..._comparison.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_TWMTNMSX8VQ/STvv...G_5905+copy.jpg

the other basic brush is the sephora airbrush #55 (don't know if you guys have sephora in england). it basically has the same purpose as a stippling brush but just uses a different technique in covering. i haven't really used mine much. http://i.ytimg.com/vi/GbuYLf28ymM/0.jpg

everywhere online.youtube.etc. everyone seems to reccomend one of these two brushes for overall use on the face.

here's two good videos about each method

(i know the dude doesn't look the best but he does a great way of explaining)

now these are great for when you use foundation on your entire face but i think that if you're looking to target and cover each individual mark then you need something else or one of those tinier brushes. i'm not really sure because right now i'm personally just dealing with light coverage on my entire face and don't really care if i still make some marks show.. someone else can comment on this.