Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NewEra

5 Yeats Post Acctune, Problems...

Hey people, i finished my accutane course in Sept 2005 (the thread can be seen in my signature).

Within the past few months ive noticed my skin is gradually getting bad again, small things like a build up of oil and spots consistently in areas they haven't been for years. It would seem my acne is returning slowly but surely.

Im just after some advice, ive spent three-four months trying to tell myself im just imagining it and trying different products and methods of facial care in order to try get it back in line, but nothing is working.

Ive been on most creams from my doctors before accutane and im not even entertaining that again (non of them worked for me). What other options do I have? Maybe some kind of antibiotics?

Or should I just ask for a referral to a dermatologist and see what they say?

Thanks

The topicals didn't work for you in the past when your acne was severe, but it doesn't sound like it's quite to that point yet. Perhaps they'll be more effective now?

I've been through endless topicals before, all of which made my skin worse :( is there any recommendations on antibiotics that i should try? I dont want to dive into another course of accutane if i can help it.

Thanks

If you'd really like to try antibiotics, Solodyn is a good one. It's time released so your body gets a constant supply of antibiotics. I had cystic acne. It did not keep all of the cysts away, but it did keep a good portion at bay. It totally knocked out little pustules.

Make sure to check out the antibiotic logs because there are a lot of different brands beside Solodyn.

Best wishes to ya.

If you'd really like to try antibiotics, Solodyn is a good one. It's time released so your body gets a constant supply of antibiotics. I had cystic acne. It did not keep all of the cysts away, but it did keep a good portion at bay. It totally knocked out little pustules.

Make sure to check out the antibiotic logs because there are a lot of different brands beside Solodyn.

Best wishes to ya.

Thanks for your replys siava, ive read the reviews and logs on Solodyn and it sounds like it works great for some people.

My only worry is that this drug wont be available within the united kingdom (all of the reviewers were from the US).

Is there any other name for the drug which my local doctor would recognise?

Thanks

Am i right in thinking Solodyn is a minocycline which is a tetracycline antibiotic? Hopefully if i told him that he would give me the closest alternative available within the UK.

How long did u take them for? Im guessing there only effective while you take them unlike accutane which works for years after.

I just worry about the side effects of taking a antibiotic every day for a long period of time.

Thanks

You are correct. It is minocycline. Hmm...I took it for about 3-4 months directly before going on Accutane because the cysts weren't stopping. Yea, taking antibiotics for a long time can do a number on you. I'm sure if you voice your concern to your doctor, he/she will work something out with you. If you do short stints (say...3 months on, 3 months off, etc.) make sure to wean when coming off of them. Antibiotics are notorious for causing acne flares if you stop taking them cold turkey. And unfortunately, I've no idea what an equivalent in the UK for Solodyn is or if it's even available over there. Sorry. :(

Best wishes to ya.

I tried Solodyn but and it didn't work for my cystic acne either. Although I found that Doryx helped out a lot with the cyst. I would recommend that one for you but it doesnt seem your acne is very severe yet

I've never had cystic acne, but my acne did get to the high end of the moderate stage around 5 years ago.

Right now id say my acne is minimal but is still something which bothers me and looks like it could become worse. I have small white heads under the skin in the T-zone and black heads on and around my nose. I also get the a few nastie red spots on my neck each week.

Thanks

Edited by NewEra