Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My skin is very dry and I was wondering if any of you retinoid users are putting moisturizer on before or after your retinoid application. I think I'm going to start doing this but I don't want it to make the tretinoin less effective. Any help would be very much appreciated :) I already apply moisturizer and jojoba oil in the morning and use an AHA product.

I've been using retin-A for a month, and after much experimenting and making mistakes, I've finally settled on what works for me.

To avoid irritation, it's best to apply retinoids to skin that isn't dry. I've found this to be true. However, after cleansing my face and waiting 20 or so minutes I found that my skin got extremely dry, and applying the retin-a after fully drying my face was too dry.

Now, I'll wash my face at night, and apply a small amount of moisturizer, then wait to apply the retin-a. I don't know if I'm screwing anything up, or making the med less effective, but it's a balance for me between extremely dry and irritating my face from putting a retinoid on wet skin.

My skin is very dry and I was wondering if any of you retinoid users are putting moisturizer on before or after your retinoid application. I think I'm going to start doing this but I don't want it to make the tretinoin less effective. Any help would be very much appreciated :) I already apply moisturizer and jojoba oil in the morning and use an AHA product.

You should stop the AHA product if you're just starting out with the retinoid. You're just going to irritate your skin and that won't do you any good.

http://www.atralingel.com/how/how_to_use_atralin_gel.html

How to Use ATRALIN™ Gel

• First, wash your face with a mild, non-medicated cleanser, like CeraVe® Hydrating Cleanser. Gently pat dry.
  • Apply ATRALIN™ (tretinoin) Gel 0.05% once a day before bedtime, or as directed by your doctor.
  • Squeeze a small amount (about the size of a pea) onto your fingertip. Dab ATRALIN™ Gel on your forehead, chin, and both cheeks. Using more ATRALIN™ Gel or using it more often than your doctor tells you to won’t make it work better or faster and could cause irritation.
  • Gently spread on your skin, avoiding your mouth, the corners of your nose, and getting too close to your eyes. Spread ATRALIN™ Gel away from these areas.
  • Ask your doctor if you can use CeraVe® Moisturizing Lotion/Cream after washing your face in the morning.
  • Like many other acne medications, ATRALIN™ Gel can make your skin more sensitive to the sun. Avoid sunlight, sunlamps, and other medicine that may make you more sensitive to sunlight when using ATRALIN™ Gel. It’s also a good idea to use sunscreen of at least SPF 15 when using ATRALIN™ Gel or any other topical medication. Ask your doctor if you have any questions about the medicines you’re taking.

Note that they recommend Cerave because it's in their product line. You can use any gentle, non-comedogenic moisturizer and any gentle non-medicated cleanser.