Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JayQ

It Just Doesnt Make Any Sense!

I was watching this documentary on these runway teens yesterday that were living on the streets and doing drugs and just plain living in absolute filth. Sleeping behind dumpsters living in lice and staph infested shelters, eating out of garbage, just nasty ass shit. They were all dirty from head to toe and yet their skin on their face i did not see any acne. This one chick had a little bit but barley noticable.

I am thinking how the fuk can they not be covered in it? Here we are trying our ass off to get rid of this shit day in and day out, constantly washing, using all this medication, changing our diets and everything and we are having to deal with this and not someone living on the streets. It pisses me off to no end and doesnt make any fn sense to me at all. I am sure there are some on the streets with this problem but you would think all of them would be.

The documentary did it on about 10 of them and only one i saw with very minor acne. I just couldnt believe it, ya they had lice infestations and some cases of staph but hell you would think acne too. I was so outraged the more i watched it. I was not wishing they had acne, i was just outraged because here i am and all of us here like i said having to deal with it living sanitary.

Edited by JayQ

i think the point you were supposed to get from that documentary is "hey, thank gracious I'm not them, and I have a home, and stable place to live and this is great. I'm going to go appreciate all that now." i mean, no offense here, but if you're going to watch a documentary that harrowing, and come out of it with thoughts of their skin, you need to get your head out of that acne bottle and look at life in a much bigger picture.

as for the acne, it isn't always caused by sanitary issues and such. theres so many other factors when it comes to acne, thats just one of dozens. if being dirty was the main reason then just about everyone in the old days would have been littered with it.

Edited by Rawlin67

1. Those who aren't genetically predisposed to getting acne don't usually get it no matter how they live.

2. Dirt, hygiene, washing face etc. has actually very little to do with acne.

If this is the case, then why the hell do we even bother with trying to fight it with all these diff regimens?

1. Those who aren't genetically predisposed to getting acne don't usually get it no matter how they live.

2. Dirt, hygiene, washing face etc. has actually very little to do with acne.

If this is the case, then why the hell do we even bother with trying to fight it with all these diff regimens?

Yeah... Hygiene and dirt do have to do with acne, NOT SAYING THEY ARE THE SOLE CAUSE, but the can further irritate the skin.

I agree with the poster who said that you should be taking away something different from the documentary than what you did. You should be thankful that you aren't on the streets with survival in the forefront of your mind.

As for acne, like others have also said, it is not caused by lack of hygiene. It is as multifaceted as the treatments. Hormones are the main culprit, along with genetic susceptibility.

I agree with the poster who said that you should be taking away something different from the documentary than what you did. You should be thankful that you aren't on the streets with survival in the forefront of your mind.

As for acne, like others have also said, it is not caused by lack of hygiene. It is as multifaceted as the treatments. Hormones are the main culprit, along with genetic susceptibility.

The reason why i was not thankful that i was not on the streets like them when watching this was because they chose to be on the streets. They ran away from their homes, it would be diff if they lost their homes and had to live on the streets.

Am i thankful that i do have a place to live and have nice things? Why of course, but my point was these teens chose to treat their bodies like this living in filth while all of us try to treat our face, body, etc like a precious jewel trying to get rid of this disease.

What is the one step you see and hear in every regimen? Wash your face or skin prior to applying treatments of any kind. Doctors will tell you the same. Its the most common thing you hear when treating acne. Being sanitary obvioulsy plays a role in the prevention of acne or it would not be suggested all the time. Also common sense would tell you that you need to wash your face and keep it clean. Like i said if acne is mostly genetic and hormones, then we are wasting out times then with all these face washing techniques and treatments then. This is what i am getting from this.

I remember a thread on here started by someone saying they were not ever going to wash their face, and everyone pretty much thought that was the stupidiest idea ever to prevent and treat acne. Am i wrong here?

Edited by JayQ

Oh, well sorry, I didn't read your initial post carefully. Sorry about that, my mistake. =)

As for not washing your face, hygiene practices have changed drastically, at least what we can glean from written history and other artifacts. I wash my face everyday because I feel most comfortable doing so and I wear makeup, so I need to. Why do I need to? Because society has conditioned me to think so.

It is the same for the practice of women shaving their legs. Is it necessary? No. Is it socially necessary in western culture? Yes. You do not need to do this, but most women (and men) would be disgusted if we did not. It is the subtle enculturation practices, and in a globalized society, acculturation also plays a role (gaining social norms from outside influences).

I think it is best to not generalize all those afflicted with acne as slaves to their regimes. It is a choice. Is it fair to have acne while you try your hardest to defeat it? No. But unfortunately we all know it's not always easy. I am not going to trivialize the issue either because I remember my difficult periods of acne. I still have it but I am content with who I am. It took quite a long while to reach that point. But I think it is the point to try and reach. Instead of asking why and being self-defeatist, it is best to take those steps, however small, to love yourself despite your imperfections. We all have them. <3