Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Del!

holding skin to a higher standard??

Ok well I've been doing the regimen for 18 days now and I read through a post a while ago that talked about holding your skin to a higher standard after starting. I think I am doing this and really badly, like to the point of obsession! Each tiny little dot I scrutinise and its driving me mad!! Anyone else finding this to be the case and has anyone got any advice? I really think I have issues with checking my face all the time, literal

ly, I look in the mirror close to 100 times a day! Its not healthy!!

Help, I'm going insane!!

I know how you feel -- don't have much advise except that I read an article that you're 10 times prettier than you think you are. It talked about looking back when you're older and you'll realize how much prettier you were than you thought -- helps a little?

But I wrote a post too about when we start to clear you constantly expect a big breakout or are really critical of smaller ones. Even if I have two or three small ones I want nothing on my face and when I look in the mirror those stand out and if I have a really good day I'm just waiting all day for the breakout.

It might not help right away, but taking pictures of yourself on a regular basis can help you to see exactly how much your skin is progressing. Being able to look back and see how far you've come might help put things in perspective for you.

its a mind game, one you have to conquer for yourself because there's really no other way to stop mirror searching other than avoiding public places and taking all the mirrors out of your own house, and that's silly.

see if you can limit yourself somehow, at least to how many times you look in the mirror at home. i know when i was first starting out the regimen, i made sure to only mirror check 3 times a day, one in the beginning, one in the middle, and one at night, because otherwise i would just obsess over what i saw.

Excellent responses, guys. And true! :D The taking pictures idea is a good one, and remembering that you don't see yourself correctly is also an excellent reminder, and encouraging yourself to stop the mind game is a great technique, too.

Think of it as your first step into the path of cognitive behavioral therapy by yourself. You know the action of looking in the mirror so many times a day is bothersome...so begin limiting it as rawlin suggests. Maybe even have SET times for when you're allowed to look: in the morning for your routine and makeup, in the middle of the day to make sure you don't have a smear (if you wear makeup) and then at night to wash your face or apply your routine.

Excellent responses, guys. And true! :D The taking pictures idea is a good one, and remembering that you don't see yourself correctly is also an excellent reminder, and encouraging yourself to stop the mind game is a great technique, too.

Think of it as your first step into the path of cognitive behavioral therapy by yourself. You know the action of looking in the mirror so many times a day is bothersome...so begin limiting it as rawlin suggests. Maybe even have SET times for when you're allowed to look: in the morning for your routine and makeup, in the middle of the day to make sure you don't have a smear (if you wear makeup) and then at night to wash your face or apply your routine.

Really good ideas and I AM going to try really hard! I think I will have to start a bit higher than three times a day though!!Maybe work my way down!!

i really know how you feel because i used to do that ALOT but somehow im better know. maybe because im not getting new bumps like i used to everyday, because ive realised that when i get one spot i tend to look in the mirror more often just to see if ive got any new ones.

just stick to the regimen and you will get less breakouts.

also taking pictures is a good idea. but i went to extreme and took pictures like everyday so basically it was hard to see progress because id be like omg my fce was so much better 2 days ago or yday etc take them like after a few days.

hope this makes sense and helps.