Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
csf

My doctor wont prescribe the optimum cumulative dosage?

According to some medical studies, the optimum cumulative dosage is 120-150 mg / kg of body weight for the best chance of avoiding relapse after discontinuation of accutane.

Though I'm only about 2 weeks into accutane, from my conversation with my doctor, I dont think he is aware of this optimum cumulative dosage thing, nor is he prepared to prescribe me within that dosage range.

I raised this optimum cumulative dosage to him at my last appointment and he just said there are many different studies on accutane. He said his usual practice is to prescribe accutane for only 4 months, around 0.5 - 1 mg / kg of body weight per day, and if condition gets better over time, he might even reduce the dosage. wtf??? :mad::mad::cry:

i think he's retarded (sorry to say that, but for a doctor to prescribe a drug of a dosage less than its maximum effectiveness as proven in medical studies is in my opinion, bad treatment, though not malpractice). :cool::lol:

I reckon at the end of my 4 month course, i would have got a cumulative dosage of only about 80 mg / kg of body weight, way less than the 120 -150 mg / kg of body weight optimum range. wtf????? :evil::evil::evil:

So, what can I do to get into the optimum cumulative dosage?

My derm said I would only need 4 months too and I was so afraid that it wouldn't be enough. In the end my skin didn't get better by month 4 so I ended up on 6 months. I'm sure by that point your derm will see that 4 months isn't enough. If he doesn't listen then you need to change derms as annoying as it is.

My derm said I would only need 4 months too and I was so afraid that it wouldn't be enough. In the end my skin didn't get better by month 4 so I ended up on 6 months. I'm sure by that point your derm will see that 4 months isn't enough. If he doesn't listen then you need to change derms as annoying as it is.

they always start you out weaker. for example, im 60kgs and from my understanding, it means i should be taking 60mgs of accutane daily for 6 months. the first two months i was on 20mgs and now im on 40mgs. i have 3 months left of my course and im well below the ideal cumulative dose. the doctor can simply raise it above it, for example if now take 80mgs for the next three months, it should reach the ideal dose. they often start you on a lower dose to prevent the initial breakout and scarring. anyhoo hope this helps :)

I'll try to get a different doctor cos I think it's important that I get into the optimum culmulative dosage. My current doctor keeps saying that he's conservative - not to my liking.