Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
duluxdog

Bad Hypertrophic scar help & Cica-Care

Hello. So i'm about 2 months after roaccutane course has ended, and things are doing okay. My acne hasn't come roaring back like I feared, I get some small spots but i'm pleased it has worked (-:

Unfortunately, I have some BAD looking hypertrophic scars (raised scars). Basically, they look like live fresh acne, only they are not.. they have been there for around a year and are DEFINITELY scars. My derm said so. I have another appointment with my derm coming up, but that's in September so i'm thinking about doing some things myself to my scars until then.

Basically, I need suggestions on scar treatment for Hypertrophic scars (NOT KELOIDS) and what to do with them.

Has anyone had experience with CIRCA-CARE SILICON GEL SHEETS? I've read they are quite good, and I can get them off a website here in the UK.

What other methods of treatement for hypertrophic scarring are available, so I can ask my derm to provide me with some treatment to finally fix this problem.

Please, any help is thankfully received..

Mederma and the silicone scar sheets are the best options available and work well for your type of scarring I believe.

No, Mederma is a gel that comes in a tube. Costs about 20-30 bucks here in the States. You use it 4-5 times a day on the scar. It is supposed to work very well for your kind of scar and it's invisible so it might be good for you.

My doctor told me he knows mederma works, but lots of people said it does nothing. But there are people on here who claim it works well. I guess you just have to try it. I have it but never use it, too much trouble to use 5 times a day I guess

Thanks for the help guys. I HAVE to try something. Leaving my face like this is not acceptable for me. Hopefully the derm will inject some shit into my face to make this problem go away at some point :/

When you mention your skin atrophied, what does this look like? Do you regret the shots because of this? Do you wish you didn't bother?

thanks.

I have found out about a silicon gel, also:

www.dermatix.co.uk

Does anyone know much about this?

I plan to buy a tube and see how it goes for 2 months.. it is quite expensive though, so I will use it on 1 scar for now and see whether or not it responds.

Does anyone know if silicon gel is as effective as the sheets?

I had two hypertrophic scars on my shoulders, one on each side.. The derm injected steriods in it about three times spaced 4 weeks apart... they are no longer there except for the discoloration.. Thankfully, it didn't atrophied(as Pete has experienced) I also had one pulsed-dye laser treatment on it and noticed that it faded a tiny bit. I stopped because at $200 a pop I could'nt afford 5 more(which the doctor recommened)... I figured that I won't wear sleeveless shirts until I come up with enough to invest in it..

Oh and I also tried Mederma(didn't help) and silicone sheets(didn't help either).. they both were so frustrating to me.. I didn't like em' at all.

Thanks v.much for the info Poe. I'm a poor university student soon so I can't really afford laser treatment. HOPEFULLY my derm will provide some treatment in 2 months time from now. If he decides he can provide treatment then it will be free (NHS=free health for all UK citizens..), though, which is great.

No problemos duluxdog smile.gif... Good luck in anything that you decide to do.

The silicone gel and sheets will help.........but they a very very long time to see the results. You must wear them for as many hours a day as possible and they are hard to keep on when you sleep. Mederma works well on some people, but again it takes a long time and you must remember to apply it often enough. Most people get tired of the wholee procedure and opt for a cortisone shot.

Yeah. Frankly, i'm hoping my derm will provide my face with some cortisone/kenalog/steroid/whatever shots to reduce my scars. But i'm not seeing my derm for another 2 months (we agreed that I should wait 4 months til after my accutane course until I go back.. incase my acne comes back or whatever). Until then, i'll try some stuff. I suppose if it's going to work then i'll at least see some TINY improvement after 2 months.. the gel and sheets have a 2 months minimum time before you should stop. It's worth a try.

Also, does the gel stay on okay during sleep? That's part of the reason I bought gel and not sheets, because I thought the sheets may come off whilst I eat (the scars are RIGHT in the middle of my left cheek) and if I roll over in bed.

how about obagi blue peel for hypertrophic scars on the back or shoulders. because I have tiny white hypertropic scars on my back and they are scattered; inkjecting cortisone will take time.

Hi. Like you, I had horrible cystic acne resulting in severe acne scars. My scars include rolling, icepick, and hypertrophic scars. Four years after accutane I decided to do something about my hypertrophic. I had kenalog injection every 2 weeks then every month. My insurance stop covering for it so I stop. But kenalog sure help alot! LMK if you found those silicon sheet effective. If anyone got rid of the discoloration once the scar is flatten, please let me know.

Btw, where is your raise scar located?

Kind Regard

How about cryo sugery for hypertrophic scars combined with cortisone shots. I have hypertrophic scars with hyperpigmentation. Should I have a peel done to alleviate the hyperpigmentation and then work with the scars. The diameter is about 1-2mm.

Cryotherapy has yielded ~40% improvement for my sebaceous hyperplasia which is similar to hypertrophic scars. I am hoping to complete one more cycle of cryotherapy then doing C02 pulsed laser to finish the job.

I had a nasty raised scar on my cheek. The doc injected it with kenalog once and it went down to skin level again. It was about I month old when injected so it might have went away naturally I dont know.