Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ManicDepression

Questions about fillers

hi guys

I ve got a couple of persistant shallow rolling scars (about 5mm diameter) which i dont think will disappear without a clinical assistance. I dont wanna undergo any kind of surgery or laser, but a filler may do the trick, so i ve got a few question for those who have an experience concerning fillers, since i m a total newbie. I dont know why but the idea of a filler repulsed me, maybe because it basically dont solve the problem, but now we have access to permanent fillers, right?...

1 - Does it become hard within your skin once injected? or is it natural looking, for example if you smile and stretch your skin, will a "bump of filler" appear?

2 - How long does it last, compared to what the doctor says? To those who have had non permanent filler (that lasts for 4 or 5 years or whatever), do you really feel that it had lasted the announced time?

3 - Are there any risks?

4 - Can we refill a scar if it is still indented after a few weeks, and can we remove the filler in case there is a problem?

5 - What makes you choose between a permanent and a non permanent filler? Do you choose a non permanent in case your scar would naturally fill with the years?

6 - What filler gave you satisfaction?

Thanx for the link Tamara

Meet Pete: price doesnt matter to me, i just want to feel good about myself again. I m sure fat transfert is worth considering, i m just doubtful about the reliability in time. I could get a filler injection in france or canada, i guess this enlarge choice and prices range

Can anyone with experience specifically answer my question?

I've had collagen--very temporary, doesn't work well.

Restylane-worked ok, my scar is fairly deep.

Both fillers feel firm afterwards, but are pretty pliable. For me, Restylane gave a bluish tint for a few days aftewards.

For me they looked pretty natural, but not a permanent solution.

I got 3 Restylane inj each about 3 mos apart.

Risks: over filling or underfilling and in some cases-calcifaction/hard areas. In some cases the calcified areas need to be excised-leaving a linear scar. Some people have allergy to collagen.

You can get touch ups-1 week or so later.

I'd be reluctant to get a permanent filler, in fact I don't know if that exists. I think there may be silicone injections coming to the market. I've read some where on acne.org about micro-droplet inj. of silicone.

Silicone has gotten a bad rap with breast implants, but I do believe that holds the most promise at this point.

Hope this helps!

I've tried both temporary and permanent fillers; permanents (Aquamid) don't actually fill any better than natural; in fact, they are probably worse, because your doctor will under fill more often than not, for fear of permanently over correcting. And, once it's in there, you have an effectively un-removable substance in your face. Fillers like collagen, are quite good, in that your doctor can overfill without any real detriment, but the results are fleeting. In a nutshell - there are no answers, as is typical of life.

So if i get it right, i d need more than 1 injection to correct my scar, because the doc wouldnt fill it completly the first time? well that s pretty wise if using a permanent filler.

Sapphire, did you get a 100% correction with those 3 injections of Restylane? This one is not permanent, right? actually i just read it lasts about a year, so why do you choose a correction that last only a year?

Collagen seems s fairly good idea, i think it is just banned in the US.

Ravenblack, why werent you satisfied with Aquamid? didnt you try to get your scars refilled once more? did you get no improvement after 1 shot and decided to drop it?

Thanx for your precious answers guys

In answer to "why not get a permanent filler?", I would have to say for myself that it is the risk of further complications, which seem to be common if not the norm with these synthetic things. Necrosis, infection, calcification, lumpiness, overfilling, migration of the filler to the outside of the scar to accentuate it rather than blend it...some of these things are very difficult to remove if something goes wrong, and you could end up with some serious problems that may make you wish you could have just found peace with your original problem. I don't have personal experience, though, so take my opinion for what it's worth...

Anybody out there familiar with all of the risks of permanent fillers?

So if i get it right, i d need more than 1 injection to correct my scar, because the doc wouldnt fill it completly the first time? well that s pretty wise if using a permanent filler.

Sapphire, did you get a 100% correction with those 3 injections of Restylane? This one is not permanent, right? actually i just read it lasts about a year, so why do you choose a correction that last only a year?

Collagen seems s fairly good idea, i think it is just banned in the US.

Ravenblack, why werent you satisfied with Aquamid? didnt you try to get your scars refilled once more? did you get no improvement after 1 shot and decided to drop it?

Thanx for your precious answers guys

I've had both good and bad experience with temporary fillers. I had Zyplast - bovine collagen - and loved the results. I did this for two years. My derm then told me that some of his patients who did fine during the skin allergy test were now having reactions with bovine. He wanted to change me to cosmoplast (human collagen). I should have left good enough alone! This collagen caused me to scar - not only at the injection sites but also where it was injected. I now have a white linear scar and two ice - pick like scars where he gave me an injection. The bad thing about these fillers is that the treatment is never ending. You really get tired of paying the money continuously. I also developed scabs from the injections that lasted for about 4-5 days...not too pretty.

I've worked with fillers for the past 30 years and have tried most of them with the exception of collagen. I've seen too many allergic reactions with collagen. the newer fillers seem to work very well, but it is very unpredictable as to how long they last. I have had clients who have seen improvement for up to 2 years and others that seem to metabolize it so quickly that it is not cost effective to keep using. Restylane ( HA) is a very good one but again, it just does not last in some people. I have had silicone injections in my own face ( when it was legal ) and I think it was the best one to date !! I had my first injections 31 years ago and the results are still great and I had no reaction whatsoever. Most of the other fillers I've tried ( Radiance, Juviderm, BioAlcamid etc. ) have bruised more and left some lumpiness. Artecoll, which is permanent can also cause granulomas ( hard lumps ) I really hope that silicone will be approved one day, it is very inexpensive and is totally inert, so there is no chance of an allergic reaction.

RicharSkin, You finally mentioned the silicone... BTW, why did you have Bio-Alcamid or some of the others if the silicone corrected your problem?

I had the other fillers done to correct other problems, like wrinkles etc. ( I'm not a spring chicken...LOL ) Usually I try most of the new fillers before I would recommend them to any clients, but Silicone is still my favorite one. It is only approved for intra-occular injection ( eye surgery ) not as a filler. Strange that if you can fill an eyeball with it to help detached retinas that they won't approve it for other uses.

I agree with johnchlebeck and RichardSkin, they both put it very well!

I did not get 100 % correction and why I chose that was to buy some time to see if Cool Touch laser would help and to let the scar "age" since it was a newer scar.

I don't know of any ban on collagen.

I have read on this board some time ago that an individual was getting microdroplet silicone--(I think) injections. The Dr. did a little at a time and she would continue until the area was filled in. It is my understanding that silicone is probably the best canidate for fillers, however are not on the market. My derm & PS think they will return someday, but who knows when???? When the FDA gets around to it...we'll have to wait and see...

Sapphire

hi i posted this in the bioalcamid thread, but no one replied.

there is something i d like to know, you know that in the morning scars look a lot less deeper than at night. I dont really know how to turn my question, so it s gonna sounds a little stupid...here it is :

let say you get the filler injected, and it totally corrects the "afternoon deepness", does your scar looks overfilled in the morning and underfilled at night? or does the differential deepness overtime not exist anymore?

in other word does your filled scar still look worse at night?

thanx