Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MaitoMike

Shingles while on Accutane.

I've been on accutane for nearly two full months now. During the second month, my dermatologist has increased the dosage from 40mg to 80mg (the recommended dosage for my body weight).

However, for about a week and a half now (perhaps more), I've been developing a rash on the palm of my hands and lately its been on my forearms. They're not that severe.. but form clusters and I can feel them burning occasionally when I sweat or put lotion/water on them. They also itch and irritate me at times.

I'm not entirely sure what it is but I can classify them as shingles. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what did you do to make your life easier?

If it's bilaterally (both sides) it is not shingles. The shingles virus (chicken pox, actually) lives dormant in the nerves and only manifests itself on one side of the body at a time. It's also associated with tiny blisters and in some cases, extreme, excruciating pain.

It's more likely you have an Accutane-induced eczema. That's pretty common. Heavy moisturizing, including use of petroleum jelly, will help a lot. Slather it on at night and wear cotton gloves, too. That will really help.