Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm on my second pack of Ortho Tri-Cyclen, and for the past couple weeks I've been breaking out horribly. I know bc is suppose to help with acne, so I'm wondering if this could be the bc cleaning out my pores...

I use Clean & Clear Oil Free Pore Control Cleanser on my face morning and night..

& Clean & Clear Oil Free Shine Control Moisturizer on my face every morning...

Differin cream on my face at night (since Feb)

I haven't been wearing any make up recently.

I'm on my fourth pack of BC (Yasmin), and I seem to be breaking out a lot more than usual as well. However, I don't think it's all because of the BC pills because I'm breaking out around my cheeks as well as my chin, and cheeks aren't usually related to hormonal acne.

Don't get discouraged though. I've noticed a HUGE difference after being on the pill; I think it's really helped out with my acne. Maybe you're going through a period of stress or something non-hormonally related that's causing you to break out. Where, particularly, are you breaking out? Jawline, around the mouth and on the chin is primarily where hormonally related acne occurs.

Cheeks horribly, jawline and forehead.. the only other time I've ever broken out this bad was the month after my first ever derm visit. I thought maybe the bc was just clearing out my pores.

OH MY GOD...I'M ON MY SECOND PACK OF ORTHO AND I'M BREAKING OUT HORRIBLY TOO!!! YOU'RE MY NEW BEST FRIEND!!! SERIOUSLY, I STARTED BREAKING OUT IN CYSTS ON MY FOREHEAD, CHEEKS, CHIN....I READ THAT THIS CAN HAPPEN UPTO 3 MONTHS IN BECAUSE OUR HORMONES ARE STABILIZING...SO DON'T WORRY....IF THINGS DON'T GET BETTER BY THE END OF MONTH 3 YOU AND I WILL HAVE TO GO BACK TO OUR DOCS.

BUT...I HAVE NOTICED THAT THE AREAS THAT AREN'T BROKEN OUT ARE MUCH NICER TEXTURE AND THAT THE MAKEUP SITS BETTER ON MY SKIN. BLACKHEADS I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW I HAD ARE COMING OUT. AND THE LITTLE PLUGS ON MY NOSE COME OUT SO EASY. I THINK IT'S WORKING, IT JUST TAKES A WHILE. DON'T WORRY. WE'RE IN THIS TOGETHER. IF YOU WANT TO CHAT EMAIL ME. I TOTALLY KNOW WHAT YOU 'RE GOING THROUGH ...YEHAAA...THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING...I KNOW I'M NOT ALONE ANYMORE wink.gifsurprised.gif

OH, BTW: WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT??? REFERRING TO ANOTHER POST. ALL ACNE IS HORMONAL. DO YOU REALLY THINK YOUR HORMONES CHOOSE ONE AREA OF YOUR FACE OVER ANOTHER? THAT'S A LOAD OF CRAP. I HAVE ACNE ALL OVER MY FACE BECAUSE MY HORMONES ARE OUT OF WACK. WHAT ELSE COULD IT BE???

HORMONES CLEARED ME UP BEFORE, SO IT'S DEFININATELY HORMONES. I'M A 25 WOMAN.

PLEASE COMMENT.

If you are a "25 WOMAN", I would suggest you handle things with a bit more grace. I, being a 19 WOMAN, am allowed to be just a tad less mature. Anyways. When I referred to "hormonal acne", I was referring to the breakouts that women have when they are just about to go through a menstrual cycle. Acne on your cheeks and forehead, however, are usually not menstrually related, typically (My dermatologist and gynocologist told me this, so I guess I still could be very much misinformed). Sure, I suppose there is a chance that it could be, but more often than not, it's testosterone, plugged skin, family history or bacteria that causes the flareups in your cheeks and forehead.

However, I do agree with you that all acne is triggered by hormones, but there are other factors that contribute to it as well.

If you find information that completely blows my words out of the water, please post it so I can be better informed on this topic. Knowledge helps. smile.gif

How can my pores be clogged so much if I use masks, and oil-free comedogenic (sp?) makeup, bp & differin cream, and wash my face twice a day...?

I wanted to try Yasmin after I heard good stuff about it here. Did you get it online or from your doc? I looked at the website, but my country´s not in the list! boohoo we suck.

gosh you guys are freaking me out. i'm due to start my first pack of ortho tri cyclene and hearing this isn't particularly good. anyone actually did NOT break out after taking bc?

Actually it might be really good, cause if its clearing out our pores now, then it might help control our acne really well, or atleast that's what I think. I could be totally wrong.. but the same thing happens when you use topicals or antibotics.

I definitely think testosterone is making my 16 yr old daughter break out. She has always had really great muscle tone for a girl without working out. When she was four yrs old ppl would ask me if she was a gymnist(lol), because her arms were cut. She started breaking out in Jan. She has her worst breakouts like clockwork at 3 days and 7 days before her period. Her worst areas are the cheeks. T-Zone is clear.

She has been trying Dan's reg for 10 weeks, it didn't stop the breakouts before her period. We have since been using Benzaclin(5% BP,1% Antibiotic) twice a day(for about 3 weeks) and it seemed to control her breakout this month!!!

I thought testosterone "was" considered hormonal acne??? Is over production of testosterone for a girl not considered hormonal ?

Well anyway we have a derm appt. on Monday I can ask her about it. She has only been to the derm once. I have lotz of questions for her next week.

An excess of testerone WOULD be a hormonal problem, because testerone is a hormone... the male hormone. Wouldn't birth control pills help her out in that area?

gosh you guys are freaking me out. i'm due to start my first pack of ortho tri cyclene and hearing this isn't particularly good. anyone actually did NOT break out after taking bc?

I definitely think testosterone is making my 16 yr old daughter break out. She has always had really great muscle tone for a girl without working out. When she was four yrs old ppl would ask me if she was a gymnist(lol), because her arms were cut.  She started breaking out in Jan. She has her worst breakouts like clockwork at 3 days and 7 days before her period.  Her worst areas are the cheeks. T-Zone is clear.

She has been trying Dan's reg for 10 weeks, it didn't stop the breakouts before her period. We have since been using Benzaclin(5% BP,1% Antibiotic) twice a day(for about 3 weeks) and it seemed to control her breakout this month!!!

I thought testosterone "was" considered hormonal acne??? Is over production of testosterone for a girl not considered hormonal ?

Well anyway we have a derm appt. on Monday I can ask her about it. She has only been to the derm once. I have lotz of questions for her next week.

sad.gif Birth Control pills did absolutely nothing for me but make my acne worse (othro-tri-cycline). Id never had pimples on my cheeks and it started. My doctor took one look at me after a month and actually apoligized to me for putting me on them. lol.gif

aaaaaacccccuuuuuttttttaaaannnnnneeee.

well, MY ACNE IS HORRIBLE. I 'M GETTING PLUGS IN PLACES I'VE NEVER HAD. I CAN'T DEAL WITH THIS. I HAVE A WEDDING NEXT WEEK AND ANOTHER IN ANOTHER MONTH...WHAT AM I GOING TO DO??? MY DOCTOR IS EVEN GONE???? FOR A HOLIDAY??? OH MY OH MY

I HATE ORTHOTRICYCLINE!!! I PROBABLY WOULDN'T HAVE HAD SUCH A BAD BREAKOUT ON ACCUTANE!!!

WFT???!!!!

Actually, using bp twice a day for the past two days, and once today (got a chemical burn today from it... grr..) my skin has cleared up quite a bit... and I haven't broken out any more, so I'm actually quite happy now. Maybe it's time for the ortho to do its job and keep me clear smile.gif

I suggest Yasmin 28. I've heard a few bad things about ortho, so I'm kinda glad I didn't go on it. Yasmin has not only helped reduce the acne on my jawline, mouth area and chin, but it's also given me lighter periods (like 2, 3 days), I get NO hormonal migraines, my boobs don't get sore (they used to be sore 24/7) and I don't retain water weight.

It's a really nice pill. smile.gif

can someone offer any advise? i have been on marvelon 28 for 3 months now( just ending 3rd month) and i was put on it stop my acne that i developed mainly on my cheeks from a previous birth control.

it has been 3 months now and hasnt done a thing and my pimples are consistant! how long do i have to wait for it to clear them up, the doc said give it 3-6 months, but i thought at 3 months they would be starting to go by now! i dont know why i have them on m cheeks? and they last for so long and wont go away. im not sure if its hormonal or something else?....

I'm on the third week of my third pack now, and I still break out on my cheeks, so I went to the derm and he put me on mino, which is helping bunches.. I don't know if the break out is from the pills or not, but this has really helped.

I am just finishing up my first month on Loestrin FE 1/20 and the jury is still out. I broke out worse than EVER in my life after the 2nd week (which is what prompted me to visit this forum and start posting...I was trying to figure out WTF was happening to my face!) I have always had a tendency to break out a bit, but for the most part, I have had really nice skin since I have been treating it for the past few years with prescription meds. Then, after 2 weeks on Loestrin, I broke out in HORRIBLE cysts on my cheeks. NEVER have had a cyst in my life!!!! I was freakin', lemme tell ya...

So I have since learned that Loestrin can actually HELP treat acne for some and make it worse for others. But you won't know until you have been on it for 3 months. My face has calmed down in the past week, but that's probably only because I went to the Derm and said "help!". He gave me a 30 day prescription for oral antibiotics and that has cleared me up completely. No new cysts whatsoever and the old ones are almost completely gone. But I definitely don't want to have to take orals forever, so if this crap happens again (after the 3 months) I will change to another birth control pill. Ugh, I can't stand the suspense! unsure.gif