Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Israfel

Low GI diet while cutting gluten and dairy works

Hi all,

Been reading the posts and following this forum with keen interest for quite a while now so I wanted to post my experience so far of clearing up my acne (touch wood) without resorting to topical lotions, antibiotics. I was reading a newspaper recently and became infuriated at a section giving advice to teenagers with acne informing them that there's no correlation between diet and acne :confused: , perhaps in some cases that's true but I guarantee for a hell of a lot of people on here diet will clear it up hence me posting this because what I did was a combination of posters advice from here (Cheers guys :surprised: ) and it really has worked amazingly for me.

I'll get a quick background out of the way. 30 year old male, quite bad acne since my early teens that just would not clear up. Tetracyclines had absolutely no effect, topical lotions (BP) had no effect. I went on Isotretinion twice, and while I didn't have the horrible side effects some have posted (just extreme drying of the skin which I could put up with), the acne always came back after 6 months to a year. Spending my life on and off a drug like that really isn't an option. As I'm sure many on here know, so I started looking into diet, not expecting much luck as I hadn't had any before but just to do something.

So I decided to conduct an experiment, I ate a lot of bread, probably 6 slices a day, maybe more. I loved bread, in fact add cheese into the equation and you had me in heaven. Toasted cheese sandwiches must be my favorite thing, and that was the problem. I had tried cutting diary out of my diet before but that really had no effect on my skin. The one thing I always seemed to have was bread. and when you think about it you never have bread on its own, add in butters, spreads, fatty sandwich meats, cheeses, mayo. Anyway, I'm waffling, I decided to cut bread out of my diet completely for a week or two.

Now, I thought if I'm gonna do this I'll try and do it properly, so I decided to cut out gluten and dairy as best as possible. So for a forthnight I'd stick to a low GI diet without the pasta/bread etc and also cutting out milk and cheese. Using Soya Milk instead. So my diet would consist of homemade rice dishes, salads, beans, lentils and a lot of fish, been eating a lot of tuna and salmon and taking Omega 3 supplements on top of this. I also decided to cut out coffee, something else I absolutely loved (probably 5 cups a day).

The change was almost instant, the first day or two I absolutely craved bread and all my usually vices but that passed and as the days passed I noticed how less greasy my skin was, my skin was pretty nasty starting but slowly but surely there were no new spots and the old ones were drying up and going. I couldn't beleive it was working and held off posting here about it. A month has passed now and my skin feels and looks great, not greasy, completely clear complexion. It's been great.

Now I'm still nervous and dubious as to whether it will come back but so far so good, I'll keep you posted (if people are interested) in how it's going. I'm not sticking to this diet absolutely rigidly, I have a few beers on the weekend and damn right I had a few burgers at my mates BBQ last weekend but it seems that as long as I'm good and strict with my diet for the rest of the week my skin can take it a few weekend treats.

I don't know, and doubt, that I need to be as strict on my diet as I am now, there probably are things I'll be able to reintroduce, for all I know low gi gluten (wholegrain pastas etc) or dairy might be fine. After my skins been clear for another while I'll try introducing different stuff and see how it affects me but I'll post about that in time.

SO what I have cut out

1. Milk/All Cheeses
  2. All Pastas / Bread
  3. Potatoes
  4. Spreads/cheeses/mayos/creamy dressings
  5. Coffee

and what I am eating

1. Wholegrain basmati rice
  2. Quinoa
  3. Porridge
  4. Salads (with olive old, balsamic vinegerettes)
  5. Home made curries, chillies, tomato based dishes
  6. Tuna steaks, salmon, cod, chicken
  7. Loads of fruit and veg

As I've seen on this forum before this probably won't work for everyone but hopefully it'll inspire someone to try it out and it'll work for them. An added bonus is I've lost weight on this too, looking and feeling healthier. Sorry the emails so big, even at that it doesnt cover everything I think. Any questions about the whats, hows and whys please ask and I'll try my best to help.

Other than that good luck guys.

Edited by Israfel

Sounds about right... this is essentially what I do as well. Emphasis on loads of veggies and fruits, and aiming for a serving of omega-3 rich fish most days of the week. I also find eating grass-fed beef a couple times/week helps a lot as well. Not only am I clear, but skin is positively radiant.

Im doing this and Ive found that the low GI and dairy have helped most, I dont seem to react to gluten though.

If I eat dairy I breakout under the jawline, every single time Ive eaten dairy I break out exclusively there first, I usually go months without eating dairy and I never get under the jawline spots, but then I'll have a chocolate bar and the next day I'll get a zit right under the jawline, its mental.

The low GI/no sugar thing has a massive effect on me aswell, if I stay away from sugary foods my skin is generally fine, last weekend I had a meal at a resturant for fathers day, and I ate alot of it I'll admit, but they must have put a load of sugar in the food because the next day I started breaking out in inflamed zits, its strange, I only get inflamed zits when I eat sugary foods or high GI foods, if I eat something that im allergic to (like soy) I'll break out in normal whiteheads but they are never inflamed, just loads of them, if I add sugar into the mix it always inflames my spots

Im doing this and Ive found that the low GI and dairy have helped most, I dont seem to react to gluten though.

If I eat dairy I breakout under the jawline, every single time Ive eaten dairy I break out exclusively there first, I usually go months without eating dairy and I never get under the jawline spots, but then I'll have a chocolate bar and the next day I'll get a zit right under the jawline, its mental.

The low GI/no sugar thing has a massive effect on me aswell, if I stay away from sugary foods my skin is generally fine, last weekend I had a meal at a resturant for fathers day, and I ate alot of it I'll admit, but they must have put a load of sugar in the food because the next day I started breaking out in inflamed zits, its strange, I only get inflamed zits when I eat sugary foods or high GI foods, if I eat something that im allergic to (like soy) I'll break out in normal whiteheads but they are never inflamed, just loads of them, if I add sugar into the mix it always inflames my spots

I'll have to keep that in mind about the sugar causing inflammation. I've been low carbing for almost 2 weeks and have no inflammation which used to be very common for me when I wasn't on antibiotics. It might have to do with candida decrease, but the change is so dramatic it has to be the diet too. No gluten or sugar seems to help. I don't know if dairy bothers me but I've only had small amounts and, in fact, I've never really been keen on dairy so it probably doesn't matter much for me.

Are you seriously blaming DAIRY for a chocolate bar breaking you out? What about the SUGAR? This is such a common misconception. People blaming CHEESE for pizza breaking them out, blaming milk for cereal breaking them out. I've been reading this forum for a while, and it's the carbs and sugar, -every - single - time.

Are you seriously blaming DAIRY for a chocolate bar breaking you out? What about the SUGAR? This is such a common misconception. People blaming CHEESE for pizza breaking them out, blaming milk for cereal breaking them out. I've been reading this forum for a while, and it's the carbs and sugar, -every - single - time.

I agree with you, there are bound to be certain cases where Dairy is the culprit, but as you pointed out, the consumption of dairy goes hand in hand with high GI, gluten and sugar rich foods such as breads (pizza bases, baguettes) and morning cereals. I've certainly found that severely restricting my gluten intake has drastically improved my skin in a very short space of time (I say restricting because there's most likely some gluten in porridge but this does not seem to affect me). The problem is we take so much refined sugars and carbs in without realising it. Very hard to break the habits of a lifetime, a lot my diet pretty much consisted of pasta, breads, cereals etc, wasn't easy cutting them out but my god was it worth it

Dont forget milk includes a lot of sugar, so saying dairybreaks people out is quite possible,

since cutting out ALL sugar my skin is now clear - after er, 17 years of acne. YES 17. and i mean allll sugar. i had like 5 goji berries today and that's it apart from xylitol

sugar was my culprit.

dairy and gluten too altho cutting these out didn't clear me till i cut sugar. i could experiment by having some raw dairy now to see but i'm not rocking the boat not with the clearest skin i've ever had!

Edited by suma

FWIW you could probably get away with lightly boiled potatoes/chips if you don't overdo the portion size. They're both quite low GI. Mashed and baked potatoes are both high GI.

FWIW you could probably get away with lightly boiled potatoes/chips if you don't overdo the portion size. They're both quite low GI. Mashed and baked potatoes are both high GI.

Cheers, I think so too, I just decided to cut them out as well just to be really strict on my diet when testing the water.

[*]Home made curries, chillies, tomato based dishes

Israfel, could you elaborate a little on how you go about making these types of dishes? I LOVE curries and basically anything made with tomato, so I would be interested in hearing about specific dishes you make. Thanks ;)

Edited by life_is_grand

Well I seriously dont know what else could cause my jawline acne, I literally NEVER get jawline acne, even if I went on a sugar binge Id break out on the chin and sideburn area with big inflamed zits, but never on the jawline, every single time, and I seriously mean every single time I eat a chocolate bar I always always get one or 2 zits under the jawline.

Dairy does cause acne, its not just the carbs and sugar

[*]Home made curries, chillies, tomato based dishes

Israfel, could you elaborate a little on how you go about making these types of dishes? I LOVE curries and basically anything made with tomato, so I would be interested in hearing about specific dishes you make. Thanks ;)

well, for example you could make a healthy Chicken Saag which is a favorite of mine. Tin of chopped tomatoes, chicken breast, chopped onion, garlic, loads of spinach leaves and whatever other veg you like ie mushrooms, cougette, chopped peppers. Stick it all in a pot for 15 with a few decent teaspoons of cumin, turmeric, pepper and a little ginger and you have a hell of a tasty meal. No need to add oils or salts if you don't want to, it'll taste great without.

I've just been looking at dishes I like and trying to do up my own healthier versions of them, so instead of buying a jar of bolognese (for example) put it together myself without the tons of oil,salt etc

ye believe good link, didnt feel like posting it tough.

Ive been trying to eat a diet like this but still slipping :(

PS do you listen to all their shows, i do :D except for some excersice shows, to much advertising i think.

Edited by joris

i found the gluten link about three years ago, but was never aware how serious the ramifications of cheating just once in while can be and how long it takes (1 to 2 years) to quiet the inflammation it may cause. the show really motivated me to be even more alert to gluten and to avoid it at all cost. the show also provides some valueable information on new methods of testing.

personally i have been listening to sean eversince he was the fooddude on youtube. i probably watch and listen 70 to 80 percent of the content he produces, like you i don't care too much for the exercise segments.