Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rafiki3

It's honestly ruining my life...red marks

Posted (edited)

I'm only a teen guy, I honestly don't remember how I get THIS many red marks and THIS bad. I know I had acne, but I know I never picked or ruined THIS many spots on my face. Anyways, I've had red marks for about 8 months...

I don't even have basically ANY ACTIVE acne anymore, it's just this hyperpigmentation/red marks ALL over my cheeks. It's honestly WORSE than active acne to me because I know it won't go away and it's just in my face.

If I feel my face, it's totally smooth. I have one or two indented scars which sucks, but almost everything else is smooth.

I've heard different things that these will go away and won't and honestly I don't know what to believe. This is ruining my self esteem. It's really impacted my social life which sucks cause I'm an outgoing guy and have friends but I know everyone is just staring at my face. I don't get why this has happened to me, I would be perfectly content with the every day pimples most teens have but I can't believe THIS has gotten THIS bad on my face...I can't even look people in the eye when I talk to them.

Will the red marks go away or what? I saw a dermatologist, he said I can't do anything about these scars until a few years. I AM IN MY HIGH SCHOOL YEARS. I CANT BELIEVE I HAVE TO GO THROUGH THE REST OF HIGH SCHOOL LIKE THIS. It's torture...He didn't exactly say why I couldn't do anything now, I don't know if he's right? Maybe because my face is growing. I really wish I could take care of it ASAP though...

Is there anything that effectively covers red marks/hyperpigmentation or ANY ALTERNATIVE THINGS I CAN DO TO MASK OR LESSEN THE APPEARANCE??? Please keep in mind I am a teen so I don't know if this matters...but I really CANT SPEND THE NEXT THREE YEARS OF THE MOST SOCIAL AND FUN TIME OF MY LIFE LIKE THIS. :(

I just dream about having the average pimple again and I can't believe I wake up to my face like this everyday. I'm sure I'm not alone but to be a teen guy and have to deal with this I'm really sad. I can't believe how much this has impacted me and I can't believe how disgusting the problem as gotten.

What can I do IF ANYTHING? Please help.

If it matters, the dermatologist put me on Dorox pills once a day and Epiduo for my face. I was already using a cleanser, acne.org BP, and a sunscreen moisturizor so I was on the regimen for a month or so. My dermatologist said keep cleansing and just use the Epiduo instead of acne.org BP so I'm kind of still on a plan...I put sunscreen on whenever I go out because I'm so paranoid and nervous the sun is going to damage my red marks and make them worse?? I don't know if that's true. But the sad thing is, I don't even go out as much as I want to with friends AND ITS SUMMER, because my red marks are holding me back...

Also, I don't know if BP actually makes red marks worse or not? I don't want to stop treatment because I'm scared then I'll actually get active acne again, but I'm going to be pissed if the BP in the Epiduo is actually worsening red marks? Does it? (Epiduo is 2.5% BP like the acne.org BP but also has something else in it.)

I'm an active athlete that eats healthy and drinks lots of water..

On a side note...it's nice to be here. This is my first post and I'm sorry to go on and on but I'm just so miserable and angry at my situtation.

Edited by Rafiki3

Posted

I can relate to you in every way possible. It's very very VERY discouraging, especially when you're so young and trying to find who you are as a person.

I hardly ever picked at my acne (but I wont deny that I have before) But I still got these horrible red marks, and scars.

I'm doing a Glycolic Acid 30% peel, and although it's no miracle after one use, after my fourth time around I started to notice that my red marks are less noticeable, and same with my scars. I got my bottle from Amazon.com.

Try it out! I've only been able to use it during breaks from school because I would hate to go to school with flaky skin, because it does peel off the top surface of skin each time. But I like it! And it's the only thing that has worked for me before.

So good luck! Also, think about taking some vitamins. Like E, A, and C.

Also, I noticed instead of using warm water to wash my face, I use just plain cold water. It doesn't make the redness stand out as much.

I really hope this information helps for you, because I honestly and truly understand how you feel.

Posted

Ok Homeboy I have the answer to your prayers! Its a little expensive but if your like me your desperate. And from what I have experienced its the expensive stuff that works. Try Dermajuv Acne Fading Cream. Now be careful, when I first checked this stuff out I thought they were full of crap. If you don't pick at your acne then you don't have ice pick scars right? Well this stuff does wonders for the RED marks. Mine used to last for months but this stuff speeds up healing or something. This is NO joke!! It helps so much. Please give it a try so I can know that I helped someone :) (PS- I got my jar for free. If you wanna know how message me and I will give you my secret ways to free products :)

Posted
Ok Homeboy I have the answer to your prayers! Its a little expensive but if your like me your desperate. And from what I have experienced its the expensive stuff that works. Try Dermajuv Acne Fading Cream. Now be careful, when I first checked this stuff out I thought they were full of crap. If you don't pick at your acne then you don't have ice pick scars right? Well this stuff does wonders for the RED marks. Mine used to last for months but this stuff speeds up healing or something. This is NO joke!! It helps so much. Please give it a try so I can know that I helped someone :) (PS- I got my jar for free. If you wanna know how message me and I will give you my secret ways to free products :)

u are starting to sound like an advertisement dude. complete fail !

Guest frogskinshoelace
Posted (edited)

I hear you man. Ive been there done that, and it fuckin sucks. It can totally destroy your self esteem. It was very difficult for me to just get out of bed and go to school everyday, knowing how miserable I would be for the next 6 hours. I kept on thinking that with the help of over the counter products, home remedies, and time, they would have been gone by the time I went to college. College came and I still looked like a fucking gargoyle. I started to cover them up with makeup to try and get some confidence back. This just made me go insane, literally. Im now going in to my junior year of college. I completely shut down my social life. I do have a good group of friends that I would hang out with often, but I just stopped doing anything. I spend my time at work (by myself as much as possible) and at home in my room.

I received my first laser treatment about 3 weeks ago. Thankfully, my marks look about 20% better. However, its very expensive (675$ a treatment) So my parents have been helping me pay for that. My dad just got done screaming at me for never doing anything, and canceling my dentist appointment for tomorrow. He gave me the old "You think my life was a bed of roses? You need to go out and face the world! Everyone has problems" bullshit. He doesn't know what it's like for people like us with red marks. I literally get dizzy and feel like passing out in public. Thats what 4+ years of living like this will do to you. He threatened to stop paying for my laser treatments. Fuck my life.

My suggestion to you is to seek laser treatment. You sound like a young me and I wouldn't want anyone to have to live a life like mine. Laser treatment is great for severe cases, and works faster than all other options. Explain to your parents how shitty you feel all the time. If they are good parents they will want to help you.

Edited by frogskinshoelace

Posted

Yep, you're not alone.

I went on accutane when I was 17 and my acne cleared up and my skin colour didn't look that bad.... but for some reason between 17-19 red marks started to appear and now my skin drys out easy and both of my cheeks and my nose are red. My face looks ok in some lighting and mirrors but dreadful in others. I also have indented scarring like yourself which casts shadows in the wrong lighting.

Next time you feel bad about yourself, just remember that you're far from alone. :)

Posted

Hey bro, I'm dealing with a ton of red marks myself and I know how you feel exactly. I'm turning 20 this year and I've been struggling with acne/redmarks since I was 16. Pretty much all my late teen years were wasted because of the mess that is my skin. Its pretty frustrating to know that a pimple would leave a red mark that would last for months even though I don't pick at it...

Keep your head up

Posted

Hi there! I clearly understand your pain and the whole ruin of the self esteem. There are several things you can try out : 3

1st - Of course I wash my face (I use the 3 in one by Garnier or the thingy by Garnier with a brush at the end - helps exfoliate)

2nd - What I do in the morning( after I wash my face) is with a cotton I apply some lemon juice on my face. You can leave it for the whole day or rinse it off after 30 min. I leave it for the whole day. (Side note - you can wash your face from time to time with rose water, but the effect is limited)

3rd - Then I apply a moisturizer. Ive tried many and none seams to work as good as the Nivea after sun lotion - it has aloe vera, and other vitamins, which make the skin really smooth. Oh yeah, and a factor 50 sun protector. Especially made for this type of skin.

4th - Then I apply a fond de tent ( I dont think you'ld want that since ur a guy, but I'll tell you anyway) by Vichy (Normateint, texture sebum proof) - its especially made for a "troublesome" skin.

Its good to wash with warm water as it helps clean the pores and prevents the appearance of other pimples. However you should rinse with cold water after that - to close the pores. So, before going to bed, you take a hot shower and let the steam smooths your skin.

5th - you wash your face again.

6th - again apply lemon juice and leave it for either the entire night ( you refrain from applying the BP again) or for like an hour or 2

7th - apply the BP, w8 some time for it to be absorbed into the skin and then apply the moisturizer.

I hate to bring it to you, but you'll definitely will have to w8 for several months for your skin to be cleared up.

The laser treatment and the chemical masks - I didn't have almost any pimples before using either of them. After that I had massive outbreaks and now I'm a GIRL in her 1st year of UNIVERSITY with her cheeks all messed up. So you should always have a thing or two in mind. O yeah, and I spent a MASSIVE amount of money too - with no effect.

But of course maybe Im an exception. You should take under consideration that at first you may see that your acne is getting worse. If you decide to take either of the 2 procedures - you should have a COMPLETELY clear skin, I mean COMPLETELY (meaning no bruises, no pimples). As the pimples might spread.

Oh yeah, Im on antibiotic - Tetralysal.

You may consider taking food supplements - like vitamin B complex, C, (A or Zinc) The last two I can't as they interfere with my antibiotic treatment

You should drink loads of green tea.

For the red marks you really need smth to boost the repair and growth of the skin cells. So today Im going to by the sebium AI by Bioderma ( or any product of that type, I didnt quite get the difference)

Or you can try and order Adaferin ( or the variation, daferin? dunno) which also helps the repair.

btw - you should do what your derm says. Why are you using the BP if she told you should use Epiduo....

Anyway, I hope that helps : 3

Don't worry - High school years aren't at all the best - the best are university ones : 3

Guest frogskinshoelace
Posted

Yes, keep using epiduo, its great. Ive been on that and monodox for about a month and Im completely acne free. I had laser treatment for my marks about 3 weeks ago, and they are about 25% better, the epiduo isn't causing any problems with that.

Posted

There's a lot of good advice/regimens on this thread, but what I do is mix a little bit of Neutrogena Healthy Skin (w/ AHA) with a couple drops of jojoba oil and use that at night.

Posted
I hear you man. Ive been there done that, and it fuckin sucks. It can totally destroy your self esteem. It was very difficult for me to just get out of bed and go to school everyday, knowing how miserable I would be for the next 6 hours. I kept on thinking that with the help of over the counter products, home remedies, and time, they would have been gone by the time I went to college. College came and I still looked like a fucking gargoyle. I started to cover them up with makeup to try and get some confidence back. This just made me go insane, literally. Im now going in to my junior year of college. I completely shut down my social life. I do have a good group of friends that I would hang out with often, but I just stopped doing anything. I spend my time at work (by myself as much as possible) and at home in my room.

I received my first laser treatment about 3 weeks ago. Thankfully, my marks look about 20% better. However, its very expensive (675$ a treatment) So my parents have been helping me pay for that. My dad just got done screaming at me for never doing anything, and canceling my dentist appointment for tomorrow. He gave me the old "You think my life was a bed of roses? You need to go out and face the world! Everyone has problems" bullshit. He doesn't know what it's like for people like us with red marks. I literally get dizzy and feel like passing out in public. Thats what 4+ years of living like this will do to you. He threatened to stop paying for my laser treatments. Fuck my life.

My suggestion to you is to seek laser treatment. You sound like a young me and I wouldn't want anyone to have to live a life like mine. Laser treatment is great for severe cases, and works faster than all other options. Explain to your parents how shitty you feel all the time. If they are good parents they will want to help you.

When I hear things like this makes me feel like I'm not alone. I've had a few fraxel restore treatments and to show you how severe my red scars are, there have been no improvements. The 'light' red marks from 'regular' pimples have faded 20% but with my severe red scars from huge cysts, nothing. I go for my 4th treatment and am very depressed about the whole situation and try my best to hide this from the world. I always wonder why this happened to me it's a killer. And now with even laser treatment failing, i really don't know.

Posted

It's disheartening to hear nothing really works.

I'm going to continue to use Epiduo as directed, but I don't even care about active acne. It's these marks that are already here that are ruining my life at the moment.

I really doubt I can get laser treatment.

I just don't know what to look into. Is there any possible treatments that I would not be able to do? I'm assuming since I'm a growing teen some of these might be harmful? Maybe because my face is still growing or whatnot, I don't know?

Is there anything I can do to lighten these marks. Any temporary solutions. I'm almost inclined to even try make up, I'm that desperate. But I'm worried that make up is hard to blend and obviously it might wipe away during the day?

Are there just any alternative solutions to mask red marks?

And if anyone is going to recommend peels or whatnot, are they definitely safe for a growing teen?

It seems were all stuck with our scars for years as many of you have said, and that just makes me more depressed.

Any more help and responses would be greatly appreciated.

Posted

Hey There

I am really sorry, first of all, that you have to go through this. I also have horrible redness on my cheeks (and still active acne also).

What I have found that really helps the redness go down is to use Manuka honey which I ordered off Amazon-- theres something about the honey that really helps to heal.

I also use a combination of vitamin E and coconut oil. Both are wonderful for skin healing, as is aloe vera gel. I know a lot of people use peels/laser therapy, but keep in mind that these are really harsh treatements and your skin has already been thorugh a lot. I would use natural for 4-6 months before I started doing any peels.

Also, remember that your life has value no matter what your face is on the outside. I know it sounds trite or stupid sometimes, but if you are a loving, caring person most people don't even notice skin problems. Only jerk strangers.

Hang in there kiddo, I feel your pain.

J

Guest frogskinshoelace
Posted

You should care about active acne. You need to stop it, because it just continues the cycle. Trust me Ive seen it happen. Are you on an antibiotic? That/epiduo worked wonders for me.

Thats a shame you cant get laser treatment. It is so damn expensive. I don't understand how it isn't covered by insurance. I think I speak for everyone here, that it is NECESSARY. If getting braces is, so should laser treatment for red marks. Red marks on the face are a much bigger problem than a crooked tooth, the way our society is.

The laser treatment Im getting is kicking red marks ass. Worth every penny so far.

Posted
You should care about active acne. You need to stop it, because it just continues the cycle. Trust me Ive seen it happen. Are you on an antibiotic? That/epiduo worked wonders for me.

Thats a shame you cant get laser treatment. It is so damn expensive. I don't understand how it isn't covered by insurance. I think I speak for everyone here, that it is NECESSARY. If getting braces is, so should laser treatment for red marks. Red marks on the face are a much bigger problem than a crooked tooth, the way our society is.

The laser treatment Im getting is kicking red marks ass. Worth every penny so far.

Frogskin

What type of laser treatment are you getting?

Posted

I believe it's V-beam, one of the best lasers for red marks out there.

Posted

Frogskin, don't get me wrong I do care about active acne. The Epiduo is keeping that under control. You just have to understand that I am completely miserable with these red marks and that's really what I'm focusing on. I'm not neglecting future breakouts, but since I am about 90% clear and my face is just full of these marks/scars, that is what is really bringing me down and that is what I am trying to address with help.

How much does laser cost? And I'm pretty sure most acne treatments are classified under cosmetics for insurance so they probably wouldn't help with paying that. Does lasers hurt too? I probably can't get it, it sounds effective though.

Are there any other effective ways to lighten, reduce appearance of the marks that are more low budget? Ramie, I'm not neglecting your post it's just that I'm nervous using random honeys/oils that people are just recommending to me on here. Can anyone else vouch for those products? Do they actually reduce the appearance of marks or what? How would I go about applying them? And if they end up not helping my marks, they definitely would not make them worse by any chance right?

I read the sticky article which suggested peels, apple cider vinegar, aha stuff, lasers...etc

Since there's so much to choose from, I don't know what will really work. And I just want to make sure it's safe for me to use as a growing teen.

Posted

What ever you do man, do NOT use hydroquinone on them. Derms always prescribe it for red marks, but to be honest, I think it's for brown marks. It made my red marks so sensitive and red that things like taking a shower became near impossible because they would turn bright crimson red! Fuck that, add to the fact that it suppose to take 6 months to do anything and it's pretty much counterproductive. Steer clear.

Guest frogskinshoelace
Posted

I hear you rafiki. Red marks made more more miserable than when I had acne.

I am getting a series of 2 lasers. Im not sure what the first laser was. Ill ask when I go in for my 2nd treatment on July 12th.

The second is smoothbeam, which is basically a more advanced vbeam. It is specifically for acne scarring/hyperpigmentation. Its not approved by the fda yet, and only the top derms in the country have them. It has been "experimental" for about 3 years, and the doctor said it has had such great results the company is going to start selling on a larger scale soon.

As far as pain goes, its temporary. The first laser I got felt like someone was flicking me with their fingernail. The Smootherbeam hurt a little bit more. It felt like someone was snapping a rubber band on my cheeks, and felt like a bee sting on the forehead. The pain only lasts a second or two after each zap of the laser.

Each treatment costs my 675$. This is because I am getting 2 different lasers for maximum results. Each derm will be different.

Posted

Haha of course i care about my active acne.... why do you think I'm on this site?? I am doing an integrative, natural approach and have an ND monitoring me.

Posted

Haha of course i care about my active acne.... why do you think I'm on this site?? I am doing an integrative, natural approach and have an ND monitoring me.

Posted
Frogskin, don't get me wrong I do care about active acne. The Epiduo is keeping that under control. You just have to understand that I am completely miserable with these red marks and that's really what I'm focusing on. I'm not neglecting future breakouts, but since I am about 90% clear and my face is just full of these marks/scars, that is what is really bringing me down and that is what I am trying to address with help.

How much does laser cost? And I'm pretty sure most acne treatments are classified under cosmetics for insurance so they probably wouldn't help with paying that. Does lasers hurt too? I probably can't get it, it sounds effective though.

Are there any other effective ways to lighten, reduce appearance of the marks that are more low budget? Ramie, I'm not neglecting your post it's just that I'm nervous using random honeys/oils that people are just recommending to me on here. Can anyone else vouch for those products? Do they actually reduce the appearance of marks or what? How would I go about applying them? And if they end up not helping my marks, they definitely would not make them worse by any chance right?

I read the sticky article which suggested peels, apple cider vinegar, aha stuff, lasers...etc

Since there's so much to choose from, I don't know what will really work. And I just want to make sure it's safe for me to use as a growing teen.

Hey Rafiki

I understand your apprehension to use oils. I switched to all natural as in raw, basic prodcuts only a few months ago. I use coconut oil a lot, and it never has made me break out. I would go on here and read the reviews on it. Vitamin E is a natural healant that has never made me break out. Lastly Apple Cider Vinegar is a great one, it does turn your skin red when you apply it, but it fades scars well and the redness/irritation goes away, if you leave it on at night in the morning it should be fine.

I have noticed that it is much easier to cover up my red marks with make up since I started using ACV. I don't expect anything to be a miracle cure, but remember your skin is an organ, and you are young, so you want to be as gentle with it as you can.

God bless

Posted

College is the most fun! Trust me, high school has so much drama and all the ugly kids in HS end up hot when they are in college, and all the 'beautiful' people end up ugly in their college years. I used to be the ugly girl in HS and now every guy hits on me in college and all the 'hot' girls from HS just look trashy now and guys just use them.

SO I would suggest to take MSM suppliments and take out dairy products so you can eliminate toxins. So, by the time you get to college you would have clear skin and no one would know u suffered from scarring in your high school days

Posted

The best healer for red marks is time.

But you "must" get your acne under control first, as it will only create fresher red marks over the already existing ones.

But the red marks will fade in time, but you need to leave them be.

I know its difficult because my cheeks and nose are red all the time.

Posted

Hey,

Well sadly i have the same EXACTTT! thing as you boy its sad look at my pictures and that picture is with no sunlight uuufff wait and see when i get in the sun it looks disgusting what im trying to say here is your not alone man like i feel you im a girl it looks more hideouse on a girl than on a guy take that as a compliment because like guys go through it not alot of girls usually girls have such a beautiful skin and smooth ohh not mee ): and like i hateee ettt when im talking to somebody and they seem to pay more attention to my acne i swear its like if there counting every one of them its awfully disturbing. I go to high school i was a junior got out a year earlier because i couldnt take it ppl looked at me diffrent as soon as i stopped using make-up; i didnt drop out but i got in this home school thing i was home schooled for like 3 months because apperently my acne started getting bad;to worst; to WORSTERRR! :cry: and sometimes i wouldnt even look in the mirror i would just look for a cute outfit to wear and pin my hair up and i was out :wall: i always thought why bother looking in the mirror if i wasent gonna like the view. Later my acne started spreading all over and my dad thought it was time to go to a dermatologist (ALL LATE RIGHTT?)lol we went to one at mexico (CHEAPER) lol i know we mexican haha and well what he gave me did help out ALOT! but it left alot of red spots and scarring i still have active acne like i get it even by my chin its sad yuw see the pictures. i would want some help if your using anything for your face and it seems to be getting better please tell me i also work in this restraunt and well whenver i work i put make up you could still see my acne when ppl order at the register they seem to like stop pause and i guess they can tell im hiding my acne but that will not stop me from working i need the money so i cant really do anything about it huh? :( dont think weird about me but this lady told me to use my pee lol i never tried it but she says it takes away all your scars and leaves your face smooth she said because our pee has alot of healthy stuff in it like proteins and all your body doesnt need in that time comes out through your pee. But anywho if your using anything and it seems to be working plz dont hesitate in sending me a message or reply OR ANYONE ELSE!

-R;(:

post-127509-1278680583_thumb.jpg

post-127509-1278680594_thumb.jpg

post-127509-1278680630_thumb.jpg

post-127509-1278680583_thumb.jpg

post-127509-1278680594_thumb.jpg

post-127509-1278680630_thumb.jpg