Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

You know, most of the time, I hate my life. Acne is a huge downer. I have horrible redness, broken blood vessels, and my acne is coming back just as bad as ever (from being off Accutane for over a year now).

But I've almost become indifferent about my situation at times. Sometimes I think (and I'm not about to preach to you, but just sayin'), "My acne is horrible. People judge me on it. My face is disgusting. But you know what? In the end, none of this will matter. I'll hopefully will be in Heaven with my God, and I know everything will be okay." Acne has truly opened my eyes and, in many ways, made me a better person.

- I feel much more humble that I would have previously.

- I am extremely non-judgemental about others' faces (I'm working on the personality part too)

- I know that the friends I have are my TRUE friends, and like me for who I am.

- I am much more sympathetic to others and their own personal problems.

These are just a few, but I hope that you can see at least a small positive side to acne. What are they?

This is a superficial one, but people with acne generally tend to age better because we have more oil in our skin. I would give almost anything to get rid of my acne right now but I also have to look to the future and understand that maybe having oily skin will lead to younger looking skin in years to come.

True:]! Smashley I've never heard that reason before either but it does sound logical :D. More reasons to be happy (:! Acne really isn't that bad. No, I don't just have 1-2 pimples. My back has been breaking out bad with cystic acne and my face too, but really, meh, I'm tired of letting it control my life. Not saying I have control over it, but I'm just sick of letting it run the course. Lets practice resisting acne =/. Practice makes better right :]. Acne fighters =p

This is a superficial one, but people with acne generally tend to age better because we have more oil in our skin. I would give almost anything to get rid of my acne right now but I also have to look to the future and understand that maybe having oily skin will lead to younger looking skin in years to come.

I thought of this too one day. Plus it has taught us all so much. Most of us will end up using natural products that will really help our skin in the long run. As a result of acne I have started using argan oil which helps with aging. Plus, most people have picked up healthy eating tips and their acne was really telling them that they were eating the wrong foods. When they clear it up, they will now know what their body needs, leaving them more nourished.

I'm less judgemental on others with acne also. When people make fun of others who have acne (or not even make fun of, just generally make light of their situation), I don't hesitate to tell them off or tell them to be more understand because they don't even know.

I can definitely say at this point in my life acne has left me off in the middle of a deserted road with very little hope of discovering how to get back on track. This isn't about my acne situation right now (my face is actually quite clear), it's about how acne has destroyed my social life + left me depressed and very ill. I can almost confidently say that I probably already have liver damage and/or bone loss and I'm stuck with candida that has practically taken over my life without me even knowing it. At the moment, much more bad things have come from acne than good things. This is hardly a learn from your mistakes situation anymore, it pretty much ruined my life.

I'll leave this post with one more pro, this site may have saved my life.

I thought of this too one day. Plus it has taught us all so much. Most of us will end up using natural products that will really help our skin in the long run. As a result of acne I have started using argan oil which helps with aging. Plus, most people have picked up healthy eating tips and their acne was really telling them that they were eating the wrong foods. When they clear it up, they will now know what their body needs, leaving them more nourished.

I'm less judgemental on others with acne also. When people make fun of others who have acne (or not even make fun of, just generally make light of their situation), I don't hesitate to tell them off or tell them to be more understand because they don't even know.

I can definitely say at this point in my life acne has left me off in the middle of a deserted road with very little hope of discovering how to get back on track. This isn't about my acne situation right now (my face is actually quite clear), it's about how acne has destroyed my social life + left me depressed and very ill. I can almost confidently say that I probably already have liver damage and/or bone loss and I'm stuck with candida that has practically taken over my life without me even knowing it. At the moment, much more bad things have come from acne than good things. This is hardly a learn from your mistakes situation anymore, it pretty much ruined my life.

I'll leave this post with one more pro, this site may have saved my life.

I find myself viewing my life from a similar standpoint at times. And in these times, it's hard to be positive, or even refrain from suicidal thoughts. It's not realistic for me to ask you (or anyone) to just "look on the bright side" and forget about your problems. I'm tired of hearing that. What I do propose is this: Moderation. I can't expect myself to forget about my acne problem or just "dissipate" my psychological obsession with my face. But I do believe that we can counteract our negative outlook with an even stronger positive outlook. I'm not sure what any of yall's "positive outlook" consists of, but I'm sure each of us has something to hope for.

@CheyCheyenne

'I can definitely say at this point in my life acne has left me off in the middle of a deserted road with very little hope of discovering how to get back on track. This isn't about my acne situation right now (my face is actually quite clear), it's about how acne has destroyed my social life + left me depressed and very ill. I can almost confidently say that I probably already have liver damage and/or bone loss and I'm stuck with candida that has practically taken over my life without me even knowing it. At the moment, much more bad things have come from acne than good things. This is hardly a learn from your mistakes situation anymore, it pretty much ruined my life.'

CheyCheyenne,

I also have very bad candida, which I developed from too many repeat prescriptions of antibiotics for acne. I don't know what the situation is in the US, but here in the UK doctors don't recognise the condition. I was told for a whole decade I had chronic fatigue syndrome, and 'treated' with drugs which just hid my rapidly worsening condition. I went from a perfectly healthy person working as a teacher, to hardly being able to get out of bed.

I am currently being treated by a naturopath (not sure of spelling) and I am seeing results, but so slow! and so expensive for the drugs. I don't go near doctors now.

At the moment I feel it has ruined my life too. No friends left - they couldn't understand why I didn't just get better - just shows how good friends they were! Unable to work, and it just goes on.

I am still hoping in a year or two, I might just get my health back. But for everyone else, beware of antibiotics.

Are you getting any treatment at present CheyCheyenne?

Edited by Ellie713

u can't be a man and cry about your face for too long

if u cant get rid of acne think of it as characteristic..in a way in which it defines u

do fighting, cover your mark with scars, if its that bad. at least you will have a courageous story to tell.

and thats a sure panty dropper :ninja:

Philosophically.. this is not how you want to feel, your not complete.

Acne is not just a blessing, it's also highly suffering. Mix the both. Make it neutral. And then forget about it all.

That's the philosophically correct answer. =] Gbye.

I love this thread. ^_^ Acne has definitely given me many blessings including humility, empathy, and a great opportunity to make friendships with some amazing individuals. I am immensely grateful for that opportunity.

@CheyCheyenne

'I can definitely say at this point in my life acne has left me off in the middle of a deserted road with very little hope of discovering how to get back on track. This isn't about my acne situation right now (my face is actually quite clear), it's about how acne has destroyed my social life + left me depressed and very ill. I can almost confidently say that I probably already have liver damage and/or bone loss and I'm stuck with candida that has practically taken over my life without me even knowing it. At the moment, much more bad things have come from acne than good things. This is hardly a learn from your mistakes situation anymore, it pretty much ruined my life.'

CheyCheyenne,

I also have very bad candida, which I developed from too many repeat prescriptions of antibiotics for acne. I don't know what the situation is in the US, but here in the UK doctors don't recognise the condition. I was told for a whole decade I had chronic fatigue syndrome, and 'treated' with drugs which just hid my rapidly worsening condition. I went from a perfectly healthy person working as a teacher, to hardly being able to get out of bed.

I am currently being treated by a naturopath (not sure of spelling) and I am seeing results, but so slow! and so expensive for the drugs. I don't go near doctors now.

At the moment I feel it has ruined my life too. No friends left - they couldn't understand why I didn't just get better - just shows how good friends they were! Unable to work, and it just goes on.

I am still hoping in a year or two, I might just get my health back. But for everyone else, beware of antibiotics.

I'm so sorry you had to suffer with this for a decade. I have been to many doctors and they all dismissed my symptoms and always tell me I look healthy and fine. About 2-3 years ago I started to change. I was no longer social or happy, self conscious...sick, tired, cold. It's sad because I thought this was the root of all my problems but since being on the candida diet, my gut still hurts, I'm depressed, I'm tired and sick and I'm still craving sugar. No one around me even cared when I figured it out, my dad thought I was crazy. The doctor I just went to didn't dismiss it because of all the yeast infections that I have had externally but she said there is no way to test for it + I should keep a food journal. It's too hard to stay on the diet although I have been trying. I don't know what treatment to get because the Candigone from the health food store was making me sicker. It's hard to even eat meals without indigestion, now and this just leads to me being extremely hungry and binging which ends up being so incredibly painful but I don't know how to prevent it. I was never like this before I developed candida. No one notices because that was so long ago and this is the person they know me as now. Candida may have permanently ruined my personality + my face. I never had any cystic acne until I stopped minocyclin which I am guessing I had candida at this point. I don't know anymore though. I can't pinpoint anything I just hope I can forget it all. What treatment are you using? It's sad that a friend of mine is on birth control, doxycyclin, and some other hormonal pill and I warned her but it's not like she will take me seriously. Hopefully if she gets it, it won't effect her as much emotionally.

its great that some of you can think of some positives that come from having acne, but personally, in my case, I cannot find any at all

Acne has changed me in every way possible, for the worst..nothing in my life has gotten better

The one good thing i guess that acne has given me is a better relationship with god. I try to pray more and be a better person because its like whenever i do something "bad" enough to make me feel very guilty like hurting someone or stealing something valuable i feel like imma wake up the next morning with a huge pimple lol

I do mind having acne, and wouldn't mind having it gone forever..... However, acne has put me through some experiences I am really happy I went through. If I had never gotten a spot on my face, then I would still be hanging out with the girl I thought was right for me, but now realize she is the most shallow person I have ever met. Not to mention my health, I try to eat healthy and avoid fast food because I believe that in certain cases, it can cause me to breakout. I also go to the gym 5 times a week, just because I think it helps with the overall condition of my acne and body. If I never had acne, I believe that I would probably be out of shape and hanging out with a bunch of shallow people. Acne has taught me so much in the last 5 years that if my acne does come back to the severity it once was, there is a reason for it.

@CheyCheyenne

CheyCheyenne,

I'm so sorry you had to suffer with this for a decade. I have been to many doctors and they all dismissed my symptoms and always tell me I look healthy and fine. About 2-3 years ago I started to change. I was no longer social or happy, self conscious...sick, tired, cold. It's sad because I thought this was the root of all my problems but since being on the candida diet, my gut still hurts, I'm depressed, I'm tired and sick and I'm still craving sugar. No one around me even cared when I figured it out, my dad thought I was crazy. The doctor I just went to didn't dismiss it because of all the yeast infections that I have had externally but she said there is no way to test for it + I should keep a food journal. It's too hard to stay on the diet although I have been trying. I don't know what treatment to get because the Candigone from the health food store was making me sicker. It's hard to even eat meals without indigestion, now and this just leads to me being extremely hungry and binging which ends up being so incredibly painful but I don't know how to prevent it. I was never like this before I developed candida. No one notices because that was so long ago and this is the person they know me as now. Candida may have permanently ruined my personality + my face. I never had any cystic acne until I stopped minocyclin which I am guessing I had candida at this point. I don't know anymore though. I can't pinpoint anything I just hope I can forget it all. What treatment are you using? It's sad that a friend of mine is on birth control, doxycyclin, and some other hormonal pill and I warned her but it's not like she will take me seriously. Hopefully if she gets it, it won't effect her as much emotionally.

I am getting treatment from a naturopath in London. If you look at this website - I can't post a link but it is called The Finchley Clinic - look at the 'health products' pages - when you get the blue screen the link is at the bottom right. It gives lots of information. Read the articles. It is possible that the medicine you used was too strong or it contained something that you have developed an allergy to, because of the candida.

Sometimes you have to take a smaller dose to begin, and then ramp it up. The medicines work by killing the candida, then they are released into your bloodstream to be processed and eliminated by the body. But your liver can only cope with a bit at a time. If you release too much, your system gets too toxic and you feel terrible.

I hope this helps. It is possible to recover completely, but it takes time. PM me if you need more info.

- I feel much more humble that I would have previously.

- I am extremely non-judgemental about others' faces (I'm working on the personality part too)

- I know that the friends I have are my TRUE friends, and like me for who I am.

- I am much more sympathetic to others and their own personal problems

Completely agree, it has really made me see people beneath the skin.

Because my acne already makes me stand out, I've used this to my advantage to not care what society thinks of me and do whatever I want :dance:

Also, I've noticed that people are more forgiving if you are rude to them, just because you have acne. I am not ashamed to say that I have done this once or twice

Muhahaha

a positive would have to be ... i learned quickly to be self-reliant. nobody's gonna help you get clear. yeah, someone can prescribe you things, but you make the choice whether to continue with treatment or to pursue other products. if you want something done, or if you want to change something, you gotta do it yourself.

oh, and i have to agree about the friend thing. that's a major positive. you know who's there because they like being around you .. not because of the way you dress, the way your skin looks.

Edited by indayden_den

Hey :), you know the other day I was looking at my skin and I noticed that I do have some acne scars, I am lucky they arent raised or pitted really, Just slight light scar tissue which never goes away (I am pale so they are similar to my skin colour and are noticable when you get close).

Rather than being angry ro upset that I have permanent scars I found myself looking at them with a smile pon my face. I was thinking about how my skin was clearing on my chest (where the scars are) and whether I would want to remove the scars.

I decided I didn't and I surprised myself. I felt sentimental about these little marks,

acne has been a huge part of my life for years and yes as you say it has taught me alot about getting past appearances and pushing yourself forward even when you feel like shit and enjoying the world with the full knowledge you are not perfect.

There are so many things I have learned from acne that although I hate it and want it gone forever I would not want to wipe away these marks left behind. I guess I feel the same way about my little scars as many people do about tattoos.

:wub:

If the scars were really raised or pitted I may feel differently I know but I am glad I can feel this way even between feeling really angry about it all

That message made me smile :) I guess we do go through a lot in getting these scars and after a while they do feel part of you. Luckily, I only have one very shallow pitted scar on my right cheek with the rest of them being fading red marks. I still can't wait to get rid of them though! :P

It's great to hear all of you respond with your own "blessings"!! Keep it up! It's great to hear the positive sides for each individual. I think just reading some of these replies can really encourage us all