Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pioudafm

Been on Minocycline (100 mg) for 6 months

My acne has been 99% clear for the entire duration and I have noticed zero side effects. The problem is that it is starting to become ineffective. I suppose the bacteria is becoming immune.

If it does increase in severity, I will probably switch to another drug. I am just curious how long I should really be on these drugs. I have had acne like this for about 3 years. I am 18 now and I am hoping my metabolism starts relaxing soon.

I really do not like the idea of taking drugs for a long term, but I can not stand having bad acne.

You can't live in antibiotics, you can't live using accutane. When you use an antibiotic and you are clear, you research for a regimen. Read, research, find the best regimen for yourself. If you got antibiotic resistance by bacteria, you will pass that to your children.

You can't live in antibiotics, you can't live using accutane. When you use an antibiotic and you are clear, you research for a regimen. Read, research, find the best regimen for yourself. If you got antibiotic resistance by bacteria, you will pass that to your children.

I do not intend on living on it. My doctor has credited my acne to my metabolism at the moment. I will attempt to stop taking the antibiotics during the summer and see what happens. I took very good care of my skin and the acne would still not go away, which is why I resorted to antibiotics, so I have a feeling that I will have to be on antibiotics until my metabolism slows down.

And, how could that possibly be passed to my children? I do not have antibiotic resistance. The bacteria has antibiotic resistance.

You make it sound like a disease...... dont jinx it yo!!! freaking me out, im only 15. Besides I wouldn't mind if it came back mild, its better than severe, why do u think i got prescribed Doxy(Mino, tetra family) and if it comes back the same then oh well(at least I can treat it before it gets bad, and that I have the knowledge i didnt have when I was 13 and started to get it.

If you use it for a long time, you increase the chances for antibiotic resistance BY bacteria. Acne bacteria live in your skin and will be there always. You need to find a regimen to control your acne, that is the goal of all of us here and also let your body to learn to deal with the problem by itself.

If you use it for a long time, you increase the chances for antibiotic resistance BY bacteria. Acne bacteria live in your skin and will be there always. You need to find a regimen to control your acne, that is the goal of all of us here and also let your body to learn to deal with the problem by itself.

There is nothing that has worked. I have given my body 4 years to deal with the problem. It has only gotten more severe. That is why I got antibiotics. I have tried different diets; I have tried excluding certain foods from my diet (dairy products, seafood, etc); I have tried washing my face once a day, twice a day, three times a day; I have tried a variety of different soaps; I have tried many over-the-counter products; I tried different shampoos; I have tried cleaning my pores multiple times a week; I have avoided touching any part of my face; I have tried removing dead skin; I have tried washing my bed materials every day with sensitive skin detergent; I have even tried sleeping on a towel. The antibiotics were a last resort and they worked flawlessly. My hygiene is certainly not the issue so it is most likely my metabolism. Metabolisms do eventually slow down so using antibiotics until then would in fact work.

And, I do not quite understand everyone's goal. If the regimen did not work previously, why would it work now? I would not recommend drugs to anyone that has not tried everything else in their power to prevent the acne.

If you have any idea what I could do to prevent the acne after getting off antibiotics, please inform me. Thank you.

I started breaking out around age 15 (35 years ago!). Skin care regimens have NEVER worked well at all for me (tried many). Use what works, especially if you have severe scaring type acne. I took accutane when I was 22 and it was basically a miracle drug for me. Stayed clear for a decade. Took another round of treatment then and was clear for another decade.

I started to break out again around 2 years ago (now age 50). Once again skin care regimens (tried a couple more) have little to no effect. Doxycycline pretty much clears it up completely though.

I suspect everyone's a bit different when it comes to acne treatments. Learn what works for you and do it. The post about passing on bacterial resistance to your kids is (IMHO) a load.

I started breaking out around age 15 (35 years ago!). Skin care regimens have NEVER worked well at all for me (tried many). Use what works, especially if you have severe scaring type acne. I took accutane when I was 22 and it was basically a miracle drug for me. Stayed clear for a decade. Took another round of treatment then and was clear for another decade.

I started to break out again around 2 years ago (now age 50). Once again skin care regimens (tried a couple more) have little to no effect. Doxycycline pretty much clears it up completely though.

I suspect everyone's a bit different when it comes to acne treatments. Learn what works for you and do it. The post about passing on bacterial resistance to your kids is (IMHO) a load.

Don't you feel a little concerned that you need to stay on the drug or you will get acne 35 years after your initial breakout? Minocycline was working perfectly for me but I can tell the bacteria starting to get immuned. I do not want to end up being stuck on antibiotics my entire life. I also do not like feeling dependent on an outside drug, but the feeling of having bad acne in public overwhelms that.

Well, I used to take antibiotics too and worked pretty well. I do not have to inform you, is your duty to find your regimen, BUT one thing is sure, the antibiotic you're taking will not provide the effect you need in the future. Antibiotics must be taken when acne is out of control or to eliminate it in order to follow some regimen. If you get this, good 4 you.

And for the kid of 18 ... you can have acne up to your 40, hopefully not but think of that. The mutated bacteria is pass to others, that is the reason like 10% of people died in hospitals due to infections.

I do not have to inform you, is your duty to find your regimen

I know you do not have to inform me. I did not say you had to. Informing me would just be the helpful thing to do in the situation. I came to this forum for help.

I have done research and tried every regimen I have researched and ever thought of. So far, nothing will help me in the future. I have been to a doctor and what he recommended was antibiotics. I suppose I should just stay on them.