Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rocket2010

study indicates acne is inflammatory disease

I read the clinical study on the board that indicates acne is an inflammatory disease, it that is true, why would Predisone, a strong anti-inflammory cause acne?

Does anyone know if small or short doeses of predison cause acne?

I remember when I started accutane serveral years ago I was given Predisone to counter act

the initial breakout.

I had to take a strong course of Predisone when I was a teenager due to a bad eczema flair up. I will say, my skin had never been clearer in my young life! However, I did gain about 15 pounds while I was on it. I guess for me it was a double edged sword.

Predisone always kept me clear although I only took it twice, it did work both times to clear my acne. I always thought it weird that acne medicine that reduced P.Acnes didnt work as well as the

anti-inflammatory meds. like Accutane or Predisone.

This study indicates that p.acnes may only be a reaction that contributes to acne and the actual

underlying disease is systemic inflammation.

Does anyone know of a good RX or otc that has strong anti-inflammatory properties besides

Accutane or Predisone?

Ibuprofen, Naproxen Sodium. Some allergy meds are useful for some, too. Zyrtec, Claritin, etc. There are some interesting threads about ranitidine as well, Zantac.

Prednisone is also an immuno-suppressant and messes with hormones; that may be one reason that longer use causes acne.

Cool thanks Wynne, you seem to know your stuff. I'm going to research Ranitidine. I'm starting to believe this is an immune/inflammatory disease for me. seems it's a different disease for everyone and the symptom is just the same, hence all the conflicting treatments and reactions.

Edited by rocket2010