Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Foreverdoomed

Can birth control stop hormonal acne?

I am 16, and i've had moderate to severe acne since i turned 14. Now that i'm 16, i've had non stop severe acne, especially on my cheeks.

I usually only get pimples around the time of my period, which tends to worsen when I am on my period. Before, my pimples would go away right after my period however now they are increasingly irritating me and growing in numbers.

I've been on many anti biotics such as tetracycline, minocycline, clindamycin tablets, and currently on Septra/Bactrim. NONE of these have worked.

I've tried a dozen topical creams such as stievamycin, clindamycin cream, and currently on tazorac and clindette pads.

NOTHING HAS WORKED. & my doctor won't prescribe accutane. My mom won't let me get it either and she is extremely stubborn and firm so no hope there. :/

Will birthcontrol fight my hormonal acne? or will it just increase the breakouts?

Thanks a lot!

I am 16, and i've had moderate to severe acne since i turned 14. Now that i'm 16, i've had non stop severe acne, especially on my cheeks.

I usually only get pimples around the time of my period, which tends to worsen when I am on my period. Before, my pimples would go away right after my period however now they are increasingly irritating me and growing in numbers.

I've been on many anti biotics such as tetracycline, minocycline, clindamycin tablets, and currently on Septra/Bactrim. NONE of these have worked.

I've tried a dozen topical creams such as stievamycin, clindamycin cream, and currently on tazorac and clindette pads.

NOTHING HAS WORKED. & my doctor won't prescribe accutane. My mom won't let me get it either and she is extremely stubborn and firm so no hope there. :/

Will birthcontrol fight my hormonal acne? or will it just increase the breakouts?

Thanks a lot!

Well I saw no one had answered this question so far so I thought I would. You might want to look around the forum for threads on birth control and how it worked for others. I've never been on it but I've read some threads that said even though birth control helped, the acne came back with a vengeance after they got off the pill.

Something you could try doing is bettering your diet instead. Drink soy milk/almond milk/rice milk instead of cow's milk (vanilla flavoured makes it taste even better), eat more fruits and veggies (apples, carrots, broccoli and pineapple are my favorites) and cut out sugar and fried foods from your diet. After eating this way for 3 months, I know my acne has significantly improved. It's also lightened my period a little, which is a huge bonus.

This diet can be a little difficult to stick to but it's really worth it in the long run.

btw you should still be able to eat whole wheat bread and lean meats like chicken and fish, etc.

There are threads that will suggest eating a stricter diet but imo your best bet is cutting out sugars and fried foods and dairy first. But if it's hard for you to cut out all 3, just do one group at a time and see if your skin improves. It might take a few weeks to see results but it's really worth it. :)

It worked for an ex-gf of mine. She was like 17 or so when we dated and still had faint marks where her acne had been. You should try it.

you can try it, or you could also try things like primrose oil or saw palmetto which are vitamins that are suppose to help with hormones....yaz has helped me a lot and I waited way too long to try bcp.