Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
raspberryheaven

My gynecologist said Spiro is not for acne? >:(

I'm having bad breakouts since I just switched my BC pills, so I decided to call my gynecologist to perscribe me Spiro since I've read so many good things about it.

But the tells me...Spiro is for hair growth and will not do anything for acne.

...what?

I told her I've been reading tons of things all over the internet saying how it is an effective acne treatment and she told me I was wrong? I didn't want to argue with her, so I just gave it up.

I just thought this was incrediblty weird. Anyone else had their doctors tell them Spiro is not related to helping acne at all? I'm just going to my derm instead. :(

Spiro is prescribed off-label for use against acne. What that means is it's not an established treatment for acne. Many doctors have not heard of it being used for acne. I'd suggest either finding a new doctor, or sending your current gyn. some good, clinical studies on its use against acne. You might have more luck with your derm, especially if you find some good research for them to look over.

Spiro is prescribed off-label for use against acne. What that means is it's not an established treatment for acne. Many doctors have not heard of it being used for acne. I'd suggest either finding a new doctor, or sending your current gyn. some good, clinical studies on its use against acne. You might have more luck with your derm, especially if you find some good research for them to look over.

That makes sense. I just figured she'd have some idea of it, since it seems to be such a popular treatment. Can a derm prescribe it?

That makes sense. I just figured she'd have some idea of it, since it seems to be such a popular treatment. Can a derm prescribe it?

I'm pretty sure it depends on your insurance...If you see an individual doctor who takes your insurance, they can probably prescribe anything. I have an HMO and I'm pretty sure they only allow doctors to prescribe things for conditions they're knowledgable in. That said, my derm. was the one who prescribed it.

raspberry my General practioner suggested and prescribed this for me. She just happened to up on the research, more than I was too apparently! I have heard of several people having issues. Just find the research and seek out a doctor who will help you and dont give up til you do! Good luck!