Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kat Kerfuffle

I've Been On Dan's Regimen for 4 and 1/2 Years

I've been on this regimen for a couple days and since I had light/mild acne on my face it cleared up within the time ive been using it! :surprised:

But I got dry skin and the BP made my skin red and peeling. I think i'll be buying jojoba oil soon haha. It feels so uncomfortable to smile, and when I turn my head my neck stings!!! My whole face stings too haha :think:

I'm not buying the Acne.org Jojoba Oil, but I'm going to buy an organic one from desert essence? i think its called haha!!! hopefully it helps *fingers crossed*

Hi Kat,

I have misgivings about getting into this routine. I am using Dan's cleanser, moisturizer, and lotion and what concerns me is that I'm reading some skin types still do not get used to it over time. I will order the jojoba oil to see if that helps based on your recommendation. I hope it does because when I apply the BP and then the moisturizer, my skin around my mouth and chin feels like its burning which it probably is, and therefore the redness, and flaking, dryness. I felt less burning with Clinique's Dramatically Different moisturizer. I took a couple of days off the BP because I couldn't handle the burning and realized I may have put too much on initially. Now I'm working up to more and hope that it somehow clears the cyst like pimples that generate deep in my chin and take forever to clear. It would be worth it.

Here's something I also think about, do you have any issues when it comes to people touching your face? For example, boyfriend kissing you on the face. I'm not sure I want to taste like BP all the time but I'd like to know if its really that big a deal or even an issue. Thanks in advance.

I've been on this regimen for a couple days and since I had light/mild acne on my face it cleared up within the time ive been using it! :surprised:

But I got dry skin and the BP made my skin red and peeling. I think i'll be buying jojoba oil soon haha. It feels so uncomfortable to smile, and when I turn my head my neck stings!!! My whole face stings too haha :think:

I'm not buying the Acne.org Jojoba Oil, but I'm going to buy an organic one from desert essence? i think its called haha!!! hopefully it helps *fingers crossed*

Jojoba oil, I think, is a must have. If I wasn't using jojoba oil, I'd probably still have very dry skin. I have extremely dry skin naturally, all over my body, so applying the BP without using jojoba would probably tear up my skin so bad I'd probably look like a lizard with flaking skin, lol. Even this far into using BP!

Hi Kat,

I have misgivings about getting into this routine. I am using Dan's cleanser, moisturizer, and lotion and what concerns me is that I'm reading some skin types still do not get used to it over time. I will order the jojoba oil to see if that helps based on your recommendation. I hope it does because when I apply the BP and then the moisturizer, my skin around my mouth and chin feels like its burning which it probably is, and therefore the redness, and flaking, dryness. I felt less burning with Clinique's Dramatically Different moisturizer. I took a couple of days off the BP because I couldn't handle the burning and realized I may have put too much on initially. Now I'm working up to more and hope that it somehow clears the cyst like pimples that generate deep in my chin and take forever to clear. It would be worth it.

Here's something I also think about, do you have any issues when it comes to people touching your face? For example, boyfriend kissing you on the face. I'm not sure I want to taste like BP all the time but I'd like to know if its really that big a deal or even an issue. Thanks in advance.

What skin type do you have? I have very, very dry skin naturally and my skin got used to the BP after awhile and also after adding jojoba oil into my regimen. You might want to also add in a lotion that contains AHA. I find that with my extremely dry skin, using regular lotion (Cetaphil, Dan's, etc) I will still have flakes..even AFTER adding jojoba oil to it. AHA basically sloughs off dry skin and speeds up cell turnover. It's all about getting your skin used to the BP, just go onto it slowly like Dan recommends and after awhile the side effects will go away too.

I try to not let people touch my face, even my boyfriend. It's probably really bitchy of me, but I tell him all the time to not touch my face. Or actually "Don't touch the chin", haha, cause that's where I'm most prone to cystic acne. Sometimes he doesn't listen and touches my face anyway, or kisses it, but he doesn't do it daily so it's never been a big issue.

I'm sure if your boyfriend touches your face all the time, daily, and hasn't washed his hands or has been eating greasy foods, you might have a problem with breakouts. But a little touch here and there shouldn't hurt. However, I did find when first starting the regimen that kissing made my face flake a lot because of the skin-to-skin contact and especially if your guy has a beard/stubble. So you might want to avoid it the best you can if you're having problems with flaking around your mouth. It's not very pretty to pull away from a kiss with flakes all over your face, but I've been there and done that so if it's happened to anyone I hope you don't feel alone hahaha.

P.S. My boyfriend currently and none of my ex boyfriends has ever commented on the way my skin "tastes": as in, they've never told me my skin tastes gross. So I don't think there should be a huge issue on how your skin might taste if someone kisses you.

What a great post Kat!

I just logged onto this site after having a bad break out after 4-5 years of being on the regimen with great success. But for the past month or go I've had uncontrollable acne on my forehead (my main problem area). You're post is the first I've read and it was so insightful I'm confident I can now fix this problem.

Like you I use Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser and Dan's 2.5 Benzoyl Peroxide. My typical regimen for the past 4 years has not included moisturizer mainly because I've never really felt the need for it. My skin stays relatively dry. When I do moisturize I use Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion. I would skip the occasional day and for a while was only applying BP once a day (would still wash my face twice a day). This has worked great for me up until now. I thought maybe my skin is finally building a immunity to BP? But I think it's more likely that this has been such a severe outbreak that my lax regime is being overpowered.

After reading your post though I think I need to be a little more gentle on my skin, use moisturizer and apply twice a day. Hopefully it works. Wish me luck!

What a great post Kat!

I just logged onto this site after having a bad break out after 4-5 years of being on the regimen with great success. But for the past month or go I've had uncontrollable acne on my forehead (my main problem area). You're post is the first I've read and it was so insightful I'm confident I can now fix this problem.

Like you I use Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser and Dan's 2.5 Benzoyl Peroxide. My typical regimen for the past 4 years has not included moisturizer mainly because I've never really felt the need for it. My skin stays relatively dry. When I do moisturize I use Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion. I would skip the occasional day and for a while was only applying BP once a day (would still wash my face twice a day). This has worked great for me up until now. I thought maybe my skin is finally building a immunity to BP? But I think it's more likely that this has been such a severe outbreak that my lax regime is being overpowered.

After reading your post though I think I need to be a little more gentle on my skin, use moisturizer and apply twice a day. Hopefully it works. Wish me luck!

I'm sure your new outlook on the regimen will work! My problem used to be with staying gentle. After 4 years, let's face it, it's easy to not be as gentle "barely touch your face" when washing and applying BP. And when I started to become even more lenient and started skipping morning applications and/or night applications and sometimes whole days, I had problems with constant breakouts. After diligent morning/night applications, it's gotten my skin back to what it used to be.

Hi Kat,

What skin type do you have? I have very, very dry skin naturally and my skin got used to the BP after awhile and also after adding jojoba oil into my regimen. You might want to also add in a lotion that contains AHA. I find that with my extremely dry skin, using regular lotion (Cetaphil, Dan's, etc) I will still have flakes..even AFTER adding jojoba oil to it. AHA basically sloughs off dry skin and speeds up cell turnover. It's all about getting your skin used to the BP, just go onto it slowly like Dan recommends and after awhile the side effects will go away too.

I try to not let people touch my face, even my boyfriend. It's probably really bitchy of me, but I tell him all the time to not touch my face. Or actually "Don't touch the chin", haha, cause that's where I'm most prone to cystic acne. Sometimes he doesn't listen and touches my face anyway, or kisses it, but he doesn't do it daily so it's never been a big issue.

I'm sure if your boyfriend touches your face all the time, daily, and hasn't washed his hands or has been eating greasy foods, you might have a problem with breakouts. But a little touch here and there shouldn't hurt. However, I did find when first starting the regimen that kissing made my face flake a lot because of the skin-to-skin contact and especially if your guy has a beard/stubble. So you might want to avoid it the best you can if you're having problems with flaking around your mouth. It's not very pretty to pull away from a kiss with flakes all over your face, but I've been there and done that so if it's happened to anyone I hope you don't feel alone hahaha.

P.S. My boyfriend currently and none of my ex boyfriends has ever commented on the way my skin "tastes": as in, they've never told me my skin tastes gross. So I don't think there should be a huge issue on how your skin might taste if someone kisses you.

Thank you Kat for the thorough advice! I would say I have normal to combination skin. I've never had oily or too dry issues as long as I use a daily moisturizer. Now with the BP, it isn't enough, and I get most dry around the mouth and chin with heavy peeling. Right now, I'm only applying the BP at night and I've switched to the Clinique mild face wash, and moisturizer because they are my favorites and don't seem to aggravate my acne. I have stopped touching my face and have started blotting dry my face and back; my acne so far seems to be lessening, especially blackheads. I also have stopped birth control to see if that makes a difference in the severity of breakouts I have. As far as application goes, I will work up to twice a day if once doesn't cut it but the dryness, peeling is driving me nuts. Hopefully the jojoba oil helps too. Anyway, I appreciate the Significant Other advice too :) Made me feel better about incorporating this into my lifestyle.

Hi Kat,

Thank you Kat for the thorough advice! I would say I have normal to combination skin. I've never had oily or too dry issues as long as I use a daily moisturizer. Now with the BP, it isn't enough, and I get most dry around the mouth and chin with heavy peeling. Right now, I'm only applying the BP at night and I've switched to the Clinique mild face wash, and moisturizer because they are my favorites and don't seem to aggravate my acne. I have stopped touching my face and have started blotting dry my face and back; my acne so far seems to be lessening, especially blackheads. I also have stopped birth control to see if that makes a difference in the severity of breakouts I have. As far as application goes, I will work up to twice a day if once doesn't cut it but the dryness, peeling is driving me nuts. Hopefully the jojoba oil helps too. Anyway, I appreciate the Significant Other advice too :) Made me feel better about incorporating this into my lifestyle.

Jojoba should definitely help with the peeling. Give it about 1-2 weeks to start showing results though. It's weird, but when I started using jojoba, my peeling didn't go away completely until exactly 7 days later. I still can't figure that one out; how exact the time frame was. I'm sure for others it might take longer or shorter time to work.

This regimen is really doing great for me! :surprised:

I still have these dang red marks, and I heard that Jojoba Oil also helps with red marks and so does AHA even though we dont know the %

Did you ever have red marks? How long did it take to fade them?

Hopefully jojoba and AHA will fade them fast before school starts! haha :rolleyes:

Here's a silly question. Do you wait until your face is completely dry before applying BP, or do you just pat your face dry with a towel after cleansing and while it's still moist/damp apply the BP?

Was your face slightly dry and a little bit flaky when you first started using the regimen? I have been on it for 5 days now, and my face is slightly flaky. How long did it take for this side effect to wear off?

Thanks

This regimen is really doing great for me! :surprised:

I still have these dang red marks, and I heard that Jojoba Oil also helps with red marks and so does AHA even though we dont know the %

Did you ever have red marks? How long did it take to fade them?

Hopefully jojoba and AHA will fade them fast before school starts! haha :rolleyes:

Hey dvozab! Glad the regimen is working for you <3 I still get red marks if I happen to get a pimple. They tend to last for about a month or two before finally going away. Red marks don't bother me though; though I know that a lot of people absolutely hate theirs. I don't like active acne on my face, I freak out when I have a pimple. But a red discoloration mark left by a pimple never bothered me so I never really looked closely enough to see how long exactly they last, etc, etc. What I will say though is I tried Dan's AHA for two nights and one red mark I had on my chin went away by half of what it was. So definitely try AHA if you're concered about red marks.

I'm not using Dan's AHA anymore because it caused a small breakout for me; though I'm not sure if it was the AHA, a smokey bonfire I recently had, or the fact that I'm sweating like a friggen pig now that it's summer. I might try the AHA again after a little while.

Here's a silly question. Do you wait until your face is completely dry before applying BP, or do you just pat your face dry with a towel after cleansing and while it's still moist/damp apply the BP?

Nope, I wait for my face to completely dry. I think if you put the BP on wet skin, it won't absorb like it should. I liken our skin to a sponge. Take a dry sponge and put water on it and it soaks it up like crazy. Drench a sponge in water, then try to add more water and it doesn't absorb like it should. Wait until your face is dry (about 10-15 minutes after washing) and let your skin SOAK UP the bp.

Hello Kat!

Do you use sunblock and if you do, which one do you use?

Thanks!

I don't use sunblock. I really should, but I don't What I do do though is try to limit my exposure to the sun. I'm not a big fan of moisturizers with SPF in them because most of them have that sunblock smell..which isn't bad, don't get me wrong, but I want all fragrance-free and/or naturally scented stuff on my face.

Was your face slightly dry and a little bit flaky when you first started using the regimen? I have been on it for 5 days now, and my face is slightly flaky. How long did it take for this side effect to wear off?

Thanks

Slightly dry and flaky? Hell no..when I first started the regimen my face was literally falling off!! Hahaha, for lack of better wording! I have EXTREMELY dry skin naturally (it runs in my family) and so when I first started the regimen my skin was dry, tight, flaky, red, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc. My symptoms didn't let up until about the 4th month. I incorporated jojoba oil into my daily regimen and that worked WONDERS for flakiness. Water hardess plays a big part in dryness too. So if you're having problems with dryness even after using jojoba, look into putting a softening system into your plumbing.

I've been living in a house with hard water for the past 2 months and my face has been so dry that I have to use about 8 drops of jojoba oil in my lotion, twice a day. And even after said drops are on my face, I'm noticing my makeup won't sit right or stay right during the day. However, yesterday my dad installed a water softener in the house and I can ALREADY feel my skin becoming less dry. Hard water also hinders the clearing-acne process. The regimen will keep you decently clear. But when using hard water, you will break out more than if you were using soft water.

And when I say breakout "more", I mean you will get maybe one-two maybe a couple more pimples a month as opposed to maybe one pimple every 5 months with soft water. When I lived in my previous house and had soft water, I broke out with one pimple every 5-6 MONTHS. My skin was ridiculously clear, ALL THE TIME. Now that I'm living in my new house that has (or had..new softener..YAYYY!) hard water, I've gotten maybe 5 or 6 pimples in the 2 months I've been living here, doing the regimen exactly like I always have been.

People think that just because it's water; it's all the same. Do a google search about hard water vs. soft water and it's amazing what you'll find. The reason hard water is called "hard" is because there are tons of minerals and metals in the water; and all these metals and minerals are going onto our skin and into our pores. Soft water dissolves the metals and minerals and gives cleaner, fresher water to wash with.

Edited by Kat Kerfuffle

Hi! I want to start the regimen soon and decided I'd follow ur detailed regimen! lol

However my skin is totally opposite from urs and is a very oily type of skin. What kind of moisturizer would you recommend?? and while i wait for dan's products I may have to try that neutrogena on the spot you so hate.... lol

Hi! I want to start the regimen soon and decided I'd follow ur detailed regimen! lol

However my skin is totally opposite from urs and is a very oily type of skin. What kind of moisturizer would you recommend?? and while i wait for dan's products I may have to try that neutrogena on the spot you so hate.... lol

If you have very oily skin, you'd hate using the moisturizer I use. Eucerine, though it's an amazing moisturizer, has a bad habit of being very oily. My brother hates Eucerine Plus just because of this fact. I would look for moisturizers that are oil-free and non greasy. If you buy it in the store, open it and try it on your hand before buying, lol. When first starting the regimen, I used the Cetaphil Moisturizer a couple of times. While it was good and non-greasy, it didn't help with my flakiness. So if you're not too horribly dry, maybe try the Cetaphil one. Take a look at the list of recommended moisturizers Dan has up: here.

NOTS isn't horrible, don't get me wrong. You can still get decently clear on that stuff; you'll still be doing the regimen. However, you will notice that the white cream consistincy will be quite annoying. I used to get comments all the time on "what that white stuff was" on my face, hahaha. I also think that, even though NOTS will clear acne, the formula isn't as potent as Dan's BP. I used NOTS for about 3 months before finally deciding to switch to Dan's BP. I'm sure there are people out there who are quite happy with NOTS, but I think over time people want to enjoy being clear without having to worry about white cream on their face all the time.

ok so i went out and decided to try neutrogena on the spot while i wait for dan's stuff to come (i only ordered the BP)

i couldnt find the neutrogena but i found spectro derm acne lotion which has 2.5% BP as well so hopefully this is an ok substitute. im gonna test it out for a week (asssuming thats how long it takes for my stuff to arrive) and see if it makes a difference or not, and maybe this will "prep" my skin newayz..

btw im still super scared of how my face will react so im trying on my forehead only rite now... you think thats ok? (that is where the worst of it is newayz, the left side of my face is surprisingly fine, and the right side has some scars healing)

hopefully ill climb out of my sinking depression from this and finally brave the outside world hahaha (yah it sounds extreme but as a fellow acne memeber im sure u know how it feels to go outside and have ppl tell you what happened to ur skin!? or dont worry its not THAT bad, mean while they never have had acne in their life lol)

needing motivation!!! :)

ok so i went out and decided to try neutrogena on the spot while i wait for dan's stuff to come (i only ordered the BP)

i couldnt find the neutrogena but i found spectro derm acne lotion which has 2.5% BP as well so hopefully this is an ok substitute. im gonna test it out for a week (asssuming thats how long it takes for my stuff to arrive) and see if it makes a difference or not, and maybe this will "prep" my skin newayz..

btw im still super scared of how my face will react so im trying on my forehead only rite now... you think thats ok? (that is where the worst of it is newayz, the left side of my face is surprisingly fine, and the right side has some scars healing)

hopefully ill climb out of my sinking depression from this and finally brave the outside world hahaha (yah it sounds extreme but as a fellow acne memeber im sure u know how it feels to go outside and have ppl tell you what happened to ur skin!? or dont worry its not THAT bad, mean while they never have had acne in their life lol)

needing motivation!!! :)

Good luck with the regimen! Give it some time and it'll work wonders! The key is to just be patient. You've probably heard this before but our skin has to get worse before it gets better. The first few months will be a little brutal, but in the end you won't have to worry about acne anymore and your skin will be clean and clear 95% of the time.

I've never tried Spectro Derm, so I can't tell you if it's good or not or if it worked for me. I'm familiar with NOTS and Dan's BP: never tried anything else.

Dan's stuff comes amazingly fast, btw. I live in the Adirondack Mountains in New York and Dan is in Cali and my stuff gets here within 4-5 days when I do USPS Priority mail. So I'm sure you're stuff will be there in no time.

Trying on your forehead should be fine. I personally do the regimen on my entire face. I even do my forehead and I never get acne there and never did. The reason I do my entire face is because I want my entire face to look and feel the same. Using BP every day, plus moisturizer, plus jojoba and/or AHA will change your skin texture. In the beginning, areas you apply will be dry and red but overtime it'll smooth out and become clear and flawless.

The regimen changes your skins texture and this is the exact reason I apply it on my entire face. In the beginning, my entire face was red, itchy, and dry and over time now my entire face is clean, smooth, flawless, and clear. I'm sure doing the regimen only on your forehead is okay, and I'm sure many people only apply the regimen to one or two sections of their faces and have no problems, but my way has worked for me for 4 years and that's just the way I do it.

But what I will say is the sooner you get your skin used to BP the better. Don't be terribly afraid of slathering BP all over your face. Everyone on this forum has experienced the side effects in the beginning and we all know what it's like. But, in my opinion, if you go very slowly at starting the clearing process..it's just going to prolong the side effect part of the entire thing. That's not to say to put the full amount of BP on your first night, but what I'm saying is to just ride out the side effects the best you can.

And I know exactly what you mean as far as depression is concerned. When I had acne, I didn't leave my room for days..sometimes weeks at a time. There came a point that I wouldn't leave my bedroom without makeup on because my family (dad in particular) loved to comment on how absolutely dreadful my face looked. People can be so ignorant! Just relax and keep it in your head that the regimen WILL clear you. It clears more people than it doesn't clear people. Just be patient and take it day by day with the bigger picture being clear and flawless skin within a couple months.

Oh, Kat, I'm experiencing the "hard" water you discussed earlier. I'm out in Las Vegas (from Alabama) visiting my mother... and my skin hasn't been this dry and flaky in about a month. Ugh. It's itching right now since I just applied my lotion and jojoba oil. I'm only staying another week, but hopefully my jojoba oil keeps it under control.

On the plus side, the atmosphere is so dry compared to humid Alabama that my whiteheads are drying up much MUCH faster than usual. So that's a plus... But this dry, flaky, itchy skin that I only had for about a week and a half has come back full force. Ugh! It's murder!

i woke up today and looking at my pimples they were red and now theyre not as inflamed but they definitely are pussing (yellow liquid i see in most of them) is this normal (using spectroderm 2.5% BP right now) is it better to leave these alone or pop???

Usually my whiteheads get HUUUGE after I put BP on them overnight. It's best NOT to pop them. They'll dry out on their own. It's a huge pain in the ass, but leave them be. When they dry out, they'll pop on their own. I'm still guilty to sometimes picking at them when they dry out... but it's best not to.

Oh, Kat, I'm experiencing the "hard" water you discussed earlier. I'm out in Las Vegas (from Alabama) visiting my mother... and my skin hasn't been this dry and flaky in about a month. Ugh. It's itching right now since I just applied my lotion and jojoba oil. I'm only staying another week, but hopefully my jojoba oil keeps it under control.

On the plus side, the atmosphere is so dry compared to humid Alabama that my whiteheads are drying up much MUCH faster than usual. So that's a plus... But this dry, flaky, itchy skin that I only had for about a week and a half has come back full force. Ugh! It's murder!

Hard water is BRUTAL!!! I just had a water softener installed (finally..thank God!) in my new house 2 days ago..and my skin is already softer and less dry. Just up the amount of jojoba oil you use. Since I've been living here, I've been using 6 drops of jojoba in my lotion as opposed to only 3 drops when I was living in a house with a softener. I also just put jojoba straight on my face in areas that are dry. AHA also helps with flakiness.

I wish more people knew the difference between hard and soft water. I can't stress it enough that hard water will not only cause breakouts, but also cause excessive dryness and redness. Many people who have acne might have it (or at least partly due to the fact) because they are washing their faces/bodies with hard water.

Water hardness is supposed to be between 200-800. When I tested my water before installing the softener, our water was at an 1800 hardness! No wonder I've been battling flakes and dryness for the past 2 months, haha. If you want to check out the hardness of your water, go to Walmart and buy a pool testing kit. Make sure, before you buy, that there is hardness indicating drops/testing in the kit you're purchasing. After 2 days of having my new softener in, my water is now at a 400 hardness.

i woke up today and looking at my pimples they were red and now theyre not as inflamed but they definitely are pussing (yellow liquid i see in most of them) is this normal (using spectroderm 2.5% BP right now) is it better to leave these alone or pop???

Usually when they're filled with white/yellow puss (whitehead) that means that the pimple is almost at the end of its cycle. To be honest, I get all happy and giddy if a pimple I have is starting to get a whitehead, hahaha. I have to admit that I used to leave whiteheads alone, but have gotten into the habit of popping them. And when I mean "pop", I mean I use tweezers and just gently squeeze the puss out it's cleaner than using fingers). Is this possibly causing scarring on my face? Maybe..but it's not significant.

I notice when I leave a whitehead alone, it will eventually get to the point of being so dried out that it'll get rubbed off in the shower..but this can be a few days after you first notice the whitehead forming. When I pop it with tweezers, I get all the gunk out and just saturate the area with BP and it goes away a lot faster. I don't know if I would fully recommend this method to others because it might cause scarring (I use extremely sharp tweezers), but for me it doesn't seem to cause a big deal.

Just wanted to bump this topic up because it is very helpful. I've been on the regimen for almost 5 months now and my skin looks better. It's extremely dry and flaky though, but I actually just bought jojoba oil a couple of days ago so we'll see where that takes me.

I've still been struggling getting rid of these darn red marks, but hopefully time can cure them. Thanks again for this post. It should definitely be pinned... gives hope to all the new regimen users.

Just wanted to bump this topic up because it is very helpful. I've been on the regimen for almost 5 months now and my skin looks better. It's extremely dry and flaky though, but I actually just bought jojoba oil a couple of days ago so we'll see where that takes me.

I've still been struggling getting rid of these darn red marks, but hopefully time can cure them. Thanks again for this post. It should definitely be pinned... gives hope to all the new regimen users.

Thanks for the bump! I've actually been thinking of writing another post similar to this but more detailed and thorough. Once I find the time, I'll write it :D

Jojoba oil did wonders for my dryness. Other things I found that helped:

1) Water softener and/or shower head filter;

Since moving to my new house this summer, my face got so friggen dry. I'm talking like "just beginning the regimen" dry...after 4 1/2 years! Installing a water softener helped and putting up a filtering shower head (that filters chlorine..you can get them at Bed, Bath, and Beyond and also Lowes) helped a lot too. Chlorine dries out your skin, so obviously if you filter it out..you should be good. People on public water will have chlorine in the water.

2) Steam;

Something as simple as taking an evening bath will help with dry skin. I noticed my skin was "smoother and less dry" when I was taking baths every night as opposed to only showering. I don't dunk my head under the water when I bathe..just lie back and relax and let the steam from the bath do the work.

3) Putting on jojoba oil BEFORE applying your moisturizer;

This may sound weird, but my moisturizer absorbs better and "sits" better when I first dab my problem dry areas with jojoba oil.

4) AHA....?

I have been test running Dan's AHA+ for about a month now. At first, I tried it and it broke me out. I tried it again about 2 weeks after the first and it again broke me out, yet I noticed it helped with flakiness and skin tone. I left it alone for awhile and just a few days ago I tried it again. As you can tell, I'm intent on his AHA to work for me. Am using it every other night in place of my moisturizer and so far *knock wood*, decent results.

5) Don't use too much BP;

I noticed this is a BIG problem people have. You have to find the right amount of Benzoyl Peroxide. Using too little won't get you clear, and using too much will make you overly dry. I noticed lately that I've had to cut back on the amount of BP I'm using because I've been using about a finger and a halfs worth; which is way too much and could be the reason I had a "dry spell" this summer. I'm basically clear as hell, but dry. So make sure to only use a finger lengths worth of BP.

6) Hot water;

Don't use really hot water. If your skin is dry already, hot water will only make it worse. Use cool to warm water and up the hot once your skin is nice and smooth and flake-free.

Edited by Kat Kerfuffle