Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kat Kerfuffle

I've Been On Dan's Regimen for 4 and 1/2 Years

That might be it... The "washing your face too soon" between applications. My face just feels... dirty...? I guess. It'll get oily or sweaty. I have a habit of wanting to wash my face when I get home from being out... whether it was being out since early in the morning or just 4 hours or so. I live in the South, so humidity is a huge problem down here and I sweat and get oily very fast... It leaves my face feeling so dirty and gross that I want to wash. What's the best solution to that?

And I just ordered Dan's BP 8oz. from this site so if it does work better than the Neutrogena BP (which I've heard it does) then I'll be sure to grab some AHA with it next time I order for spot treatment!

Sensitivity I guess just because my cheeks hurt even washing my face no matter how gentle I am... I guess I will just keep taking Advil since it does the trick pretty well. I'd just rather not rely on medicine. But I guess it'll stop after a while...

Thank you very much!

I've had that temptation to wash my face too early too, especially in the summer. But like hotglue said, you just have to resist the temptation to wash your face. It "feels" dirty because of the sweat and oils, but washing too soon will irritate your face more than the sweat and oil will. The oils you're feeling are most likely from your lotion and/or jojoba oil. Jojoba oil is a liquid wax ester, so I'm assuming since it's like a wax, it melts a bit in the extreme heat. It won't hurt your face, but will definitely make it feel like you're face is really oily and dirty.

If you're feeling really oily and sweaty, just try to sit and relax in a cool section of your house. Try patting your face dry with a napkin; just a plain, generic one. This removes any sweat and/or excess oils from your face.

Hey there,

Thanks for your encouraging thread! It brings a lot of hope to a lot of people, though I have had faith in the Regimen for a while. Dan seems like such a great guy!

But anyway--

What was your experience with the Regimen and blackheads? I am MOSTLY clear after 6.5 weeks (some days I'm super red and flakey, other days not so much, waiting for my jojoba oil to get here!), but I have a few clogged pores on my face. Most of them are on my chin, and my chin has been struggling the most of probably any part of my face. There are also a few on my forehead, but I am also using Differin on it.

My main battle at this point is red marks. They're fading so slowly... when were you clear of redmarks and acne?

Anyway, does BP get rid of these damn things, or does it always turn it into an inflamed zit? Is there any way I can extract them myself? The problem is that I got a few pimples that I thought were resolving these blackheads, but then they didn't. So basically, I went through the bullshit of having the zits but nothing really got brought to the surface... is this normal?

Lastly, do our faces love routine? I am thinking that this is pretty crucial. Does it hate it when we put a bunch of crap on it at night? (Or personify it? hehe).

Thanks a billion, and take care!

I finally stopped getting pimples, regularly, at about month 5 or so. The red marks were harsh in the beginning of the regimen, but faded over time and it helped that being on the regimen I wasn't getting "more" pimples to add even more red marks to my face. As of right now, I get maybe a pimple a month, sometimes a couple more. This is because I'm washing my face with hard water. When I was living in a house with a water softener, I would go months without getting a single pimple; even those monthly hormonal ones. So to answer your question simply; I stopped getting pimples around month 5, but will still get one or two occasionally. The regimen is not a cure for acne, but will control it greatly.

I think our faces love routine and will breakout when new products are introduced. I have never added anything into my daily regimen for 4 years; no masks, peels, exfoliating scrubs, etc. However, there was a time that I took away jojoba from my skin care regimen and my face retaliated by getting really dry. I also tried changing my lotion about 2 years ago, and my face retaliated by getting very dry and forming these things I like to call "irritation bumps".

Irritation bumps aren't necessarily pimples, IMO anyway. You might find you're getting these very small, pore-size red bumps on your face. They never come to a head and will go away once the "irritation" ends. The irritation that mainly causes these, for me, is dry skin. I don't normally get pimples on my cheeks, but if I'm being too gentle and/or not using enough jojoba oil I will get these little red bumps on my cheeks. I get rid of them by just rubbing a tiny bit (not much) harder when washing my face, just to get rid of old, ground in dry skin.

This might seem confusing since the regimen relies on gentleness, but if you're finding you're starting to get clear but still have these little red bumps you might want to try rubbing your face just a teensy bit rougher when washing. Don't scrub your face, just use enough force that you can feel the dry skin flakes coming off with the water. I never had a problem with "irritation bumps" while using a water softener, but the hard water I'm currently using dries out my skin more and because of that, I have to rub a bit harder when washing to remove excess ground-in dry skin my jojoba oil isn't taking care of.

As far as blackheads are concerned, I can't really help you with that. When I had acne, I got almost every form of pimple you could imagine..except blackheads. So because of that, I don't know much about them. All I can tell you is that by following the regimen, it's going to clean out your pores and skin over time. And clean and clear pores means no acne; no matter what kind. I'm sure the blackheads will go away over time, but I'm not sure how to temporarily get rid of them. But hmm, I'm not sure if Dan's new AHA might help. It's supposed to speed up cell turnover; you might wanna give it a try I guess; but this is just me assuming.

Hey again!

Wow, thanks so much for the detailed post!

Actually, I know JUST what you mean with the irritation bump thing. I had a few that I attributed to dry skin as well... also on my cheeks! I NEVER get pimples there ever (thank JEBUS) but when the BP started to creep up there with my moisturizer I got a few of them. Like you said, never came to a head and went away completely after being moisturized.

As for blackheads-- I think you're right, and I have added in AHA into my routine (though I think I've been using WAY too much). No matter what, I looked at my face in the mirror today and realized that I basically have clear skin... and the amount of scruitinizing I do every day and criticizing is actually the problem and not necessarily my skin itself. Even my redmarks are seemingly fading a lot faster these days... from the blogs and testimonials I've read, it seems like the first 6-7-8 weeks are the hardest, but then there is this big turnaround. I don't want to jinx it so I won't say I'm quite there yet, but... pretty much! I think in two solid months my skin will be totally, perfectly clear, even of the old redmarks. That will be the day...

So what I'm saying is that I was a hardcore skeptic of this Regimen and it took me 2.5 solid months of Differin to convince me to try it, and the improvement I've seen in 6.5 weeks far outweighs the 2.5 months of Differin. I DON'T GET BIG PIMPLES (or even little ones) ON MY JAWLINE ANYMORE. I HAD JAWLINE ACNE FOR 10 MONTHS SINCE MOVING TO JAPAN. It is SO nice to wash my face and feel... my face!!

Ok, sorry, rambling, but hopefully good and helpful rambling!

Thanks again for the advice and encouragement, and once these little blackhead things drain on my chin (you can't even see them, either) I will be ecstatic.

Last question: does jojoba help with evening out the complexion? i have heard almost nothing but amazing things about this product. Do you think it helps with redmarks? You said when you started to incorporate it around the 2 month mark your skin made a lot of progress. Is this true?

Thanks so much, Kat!

Hey again!

Wow, thanks so much for the detailed post!

Actually, I know JUST what you mean with the irritation bump thing. I had a few that I attributed to dry skin as well... also on my cheeks! I NEVER get pimples there ever (thank JEBUS) but when the BP started to creep up there with my moisturizer I got a few of them. Like you said, never came to a head and went away completely after being moisturized.

As for blackheads-- I think you're right, and I have added in AHA into my routine (though I think I've been using WAY too much). No matter what, I looked at my face in the mirror today and realized that I basically have clear skin... and the amount of scruitinizing I do every day and criticizing is actually the problem and not necessarily my skin itself. Even my redmarks are seemingly fading a lot faster these days... from the blogs and testimonials I've read, it seems like the first 6-7-8 weeks are the hardest, but then there is this big turnaround. I don't want to jinx it so I won't say I'm quite there yet, but... pretty much! I think in two solid months my skin will be totally, perfectly clear, even of the old redmarks. That will be the day...

So what I'm saying is that I was a hardcore skeptic of this Regimen and it took me 2.5 solid months of Differin to convince me to try it, and the improvement I've seen in 6.5 weeks far outweighs the 2.5 months of Differin. I DON'T GET BIG PIMPLES (or even little ones) ON MY JAWLINE ANYMORE. I HAD JAWLINE ACNE FOR 10 MONTHS SINCE MOVING TO JAPAN. It is SO nice to wash my face and feel... my face!!

Ok, sorry, rambling, but hopefully good and helpful rambling!

Thanks again for the advice and encouragement, and once these little blackhead things drain on my chin (you can't even see them, either) I will be ecstatic.

Last question: does jojoba help with evening out the complexion? i have heard almost nothing but amazing things about this product. Do you think it helps with redmarks? You said when you started to incorporate it around the 2 month mark your skin made a lot of progress. Is this true?

Thanks so much, Kat!

Yay thanks :) I feel good that I'm helping people with my post! I'm sure a lot of other people can relate to those little "irritation bumps". Thank God they're easy (or easier) to get rid of versus the average pimple, lol. I think for the most part, these bumps are causes by excess dry skin. Getting rid of the dry skin is key to getting rid of the little, insy, teensy red bumps.

I've been looking into AHA for a little bit now; as a spot treatment. I normally get one pimple a month, obvious reasons, and it's usually one of those big, painful ones. I actually have one right now. It's almost clockwork for me. Damn hormonal crap, lol. I'm hoping AHA can help with stopping these ones in their tracks. I'm also getting a water softener next week, so I'm excited as anything about that. I used to go months without a single pimple (even the hormonal ones) when using a water softener.

I still have the problem with being over critical of my face. If I see a bump, even just a little one, I will study it in the mirror and continue to do so until I can tell if it's actually a pimple or just a random red mark I just never noticed. I think we're all our own worst enemies as far are our faces go. There have been multiple times that I start freaking out over a pimple I see, go and show my boyfriend and he looks really close and says "where, I don't see anything!". Haha. I think once we realize that no one else really cares about our acne, we'll all feel even just a little better about it. I definitely know the depression that comes with acne; but it's really just a single-person thing. I have dated guys in the past who have had acne and I didn't love them any less because they had acne and I also didn't refuse to date them just because they had acne. Most people get pimples; some more than others, and it helps to know that we are the only one criticizing our own face.

And yes, I think jojoba helps even out your skin. I swear by jojoba oil. Once you start using it, give it a week or two to really show off. My dry skin didn't go away completely until after about a week of using jojoba oil. And yes, I think it helps with red marks and just the general complexion of your skin.

When I incorporated jojoba oil into my daily skin care regimen, my face improved greatly. And this was due to the fact that I had very dry skin when starting the regimen. Let me put it this way, before I started using jojoba oil, my skin would "crack". I couldn't eat in public or speak with my mouth opened very widely because if I opened my mouth too wide, my face would crack from the dryness. It was really bad. Jojoba oil made it so that I didn't have to lug around lotion and a mirror with me everywhere I went and I could move my face around without it cracking from the dryness. Even if you don't get as bad dry skin, jojoba will still be good to your skin. If nothing else, it'll balance out the oils naturally produced by your skin and that in itself might help calm breakouts.

You're absolutely right on all accounts-- yes, those irritation bumps go away SO much more easier than a pimple, and they leave no trace! Yes!

I'm even more excited to get my jojoba oil now! My skin does the cracking thing as well, but it's just a few flakes that I can peel off. It sucks but it's still way better than zits, and I know that this is temporary (you can fix dry skin overnight, really!). I generally don't need lotion like you did, hehe, but either way I am looking forward to taking my skin to the next level. I also don't use the same lotion on my face at night as I do during the day, and considering that you and I both agree that routine is critical, I am excited for my cetaphil lotion to get here soon as well (that is, if my mom actually sent it out... oh, the joys of living halfway across the world!).

You've mentioned that your skin didn't look 'tolerable' to you until around the 4 month mark. What's 'tolerable' mean? I also agree totally about our own worst critic thing, so I'm sure my skin is 'tolerable' now but it's not where I want it to be. When did your red marks go away? And when do women usually break out around the period? (I never paid attention to this until recently, and it turns out I broke out a week before and a little bit during... is this normal?)

Anecdote: I have a HUGE CRUSH on the judo coach at the school I work at (and he TOTALLY likes me too [zomg], but Japanese people are incredibly shy and awkward and the dating thing is like basically being back in middle school...), and he doesn't have flawless skin but I don't even THINK about that. I've seen him with a couple of shiners right on his cheek and I didn't give a shit (though I think the pressure is a little higher on women). Anyway, the point is I'm sure he thinks the same thing about me... except that being a 6'1" blonde in Japan with blue eyes is probably distraction enough from a few zits on my jawline, haha. Anyway, yes, to anyone still reading: RELAX, feel good, let yourself be happy and understand that really, you are your own worst critic. REALLY!!

Thanks so much again! PS, where in NY are you from? I'm from VT originally, so kind of close!

You're absolutely right on all accounts-- yes, those irritation bumps go away SO much more easier than a pimple, and they leave no trace! Yes!

I'm even more excited to get my jojoba oil now! My skin does the cracking thing as well, but it's just a few flakes that I can peel off. It sucks but it's still way better than zits, and I know that this is temporary (you can fix dry skin overnight, really!). I generally don't need lotion like you did, hehe, but either way I am looking forward to taking my skin to the next level. I also don't use the same lotion on my face at night as I do during the day, and considering that you and I both agree that routine is critical, I am excited for my cetaphil lotion to get here soon as well (that is, if my mom actually sent it out... oh, the joys of living halfway across the world!).

You've mentioned that your skin didn't look 'tolerable' to you until around the 4 month mark. What's 'tolerable' mean? I also agree totally about our own worst critic thing, so I'm sure my skin is 'tolerable' now but it's not where I want it to be. When did your red marks go away? And when do women usually break out around the period? (I never paid attention to this until recently, and it turns out I broke out a week before and a little bit during... is this normal?)

Anecdote: I have a HUGE CRUSH on the judo coach at the school I work at (and he TOTALLY likes me too [zomg], but Japanese people are incredibly shy and awkward and the dating thing is like basically being back in middle school...), and he doesn't have flawless skin but I don't even THINK about that. I've seen him with a couple of shiners right on his cheek and I didn't give a shit (though I think the pressure is a little higher on women). Anyway, the point is I'm sure he thinks the same thing about me... except that being a 6'1" blonde in Japan with blue eyes is probably distraction enough from a few zits on my jawline, haha. Anyway, yes, to anyone still reading: RELAX, feel good, let yourself be happy and understand that really, you are your own worst critic. REALLY!!

Thanks so much again! PS, where in NY are you from? I'm from VT originally, so kind of close!

I was really excited when I got my jojoba oil too, it's awesome. I love the smell of it too. In my experience, the fresher the jojoba oil, the more of a "smell" it will have. To me, it smells a bit like bananas. Really nice smell and great for your skin. I heard some people use it as a conditioner for their hair too. Here's a site with a list of uses for jojoba oil: website.

What I mean by tolerable, was my face wasn't peeling as bad and wasn't AS red as when I first started the regimen. I could go to college with my head held a LITTLE higher than when I went when first starting the regimen. After a little more time, and jojoba oil, my skin got to the point that I didn't have to lug around lotion and check my face in the mirror so often. There was a time, in the beginning of the regimen, that I didn't want to leave the house because my face was so red and dry and still pretty broken out too. When I say tolerable, I kinda mean the time when I actually knew the regimen was starting to work and settle my skin down a bit. Before that "tolerable" point, I was thinking of quitting the regimen because of all the bad side effects in the beginning (and my face wasn't even that clear).

I still have some red marks, and that's because I will still occasionally get pimples that cause them. But as a general rule, they go away within a few months. I think the red marks are a form of a scar, and scars stay for quite a bit. The red marks never bothered me that much, no one's face is 100% flawless from scarring and discoloration. Pimples bothered me, and that's why I'm glad I have that under control. I heard that AHA helps with red marks and getting rid of them faster, so if you're using AHA already, your red marks are probably going away faster than mine do.

Girls, on average, will break out about a week before their period and sometimes during their period. I always break out a week prior to getting mine; it's clockwork for me. Though, like I've said, when I was using a water softener I went months without breaking out; even with those hormonal, period-on-its-way ones. If you can, I'd look into installing a water softener. But if it's not an option where you are or money-wise (the one I'm buying next week is almost $600), you can always try washing your face with spring water instead of using the water that comes out of your taps and showerhead. Or you could use a clean bucket and wait for a rainy day and fill it with rain water.

How you would heat the water up and actually use it in the shower would be something to figure out in itself, since I'm a big believer that you should always wash your face with warm-hot water instead of room temperature and/or cold water. But it's something to consider. Hard water contains a ton of metals and minerals and is irritating to your skin and hard water also will leave some soap scum behind since it doesn't react very well with soaps, which is why you will break out more often when using hard water; even while on the regimen. Here's a link explaining the difference: website.

I'm living in upstate New York right now, near Lake George in the Adirondack Mountains. I hope everything goes well with you and the coach, hehe.

Concerning blackheads, hotglue01, I have to say that I haven't seen such an amazing disappearance of my blackheads... like... ever. Hahah. I had them ALL over my nose, in between my eyebrows in that thick, skin, and on my chin. I've used pore strips that hurt like hell and blackhead scrubs... nothing. The BP works amazingly well as far as I can tell. If they're not totally gone, they've lightened a great deal to a tolerable light brown instead of absolutely black. I couldn't be happier with the results! Tomorrow will be my one month on the regimen, and I think I'm getting the hang of it.

The most difficult part is NOT touching your face and being gentle. I was in a bad mood last night, frustrated, and my face was itching in the shower and I ended up scrubbing... :( But this morning I made up for it by being extra gentle in washing and applying BP and moisturizer. Hopefully I can learn a bit of patience and control from this treatment, too!

Another thing I wanna add to this thread! Something I recently found out;

:wub:

Tweezing

I know a lot of girls tweeze their eyebrows and/or other areas of their face. I do the same. Tweezing "will" make you breakout, unless you take the right precautions to protect your skin.

Firstly, make sure you use SHARP tweezers. Using dull tweezers will irritate your skin (IE: you're pulling more to get a particular hair out) and thus cause a pimple or so. Also, make sure your tweezers are constantly clean, each time you tweeze. Replace your tweezers often and wash them often. Tweezing may still cause a pimple, even while doing these two things. Tweezing is pretty rough on your skin, but for some girls (including myself) stopping our tweezing is not an option. But by replacing and cleaning your tweezers, you may be able to cut down on the amount of pimples you get from tweezing.

Cleaning your Makeup Brushes

I personally use makeup sponges to apply my makeup and I use a fresh one each time (a pack of like 30 is a dollar at the dollar store). But if you use brushes to apply makeup, make sure you clean them often. Bacteria builds up on brushes, especially eye makeup brushes and blush and foundation brushes. Oils from our skin can and will stay on our makeup brushes and over time can cause our faces to breakout. I recently found a great way to clean makeup brushes and you might want to give this a try. I watched this video awhile ago but felt the need to share it with everyone;

If any of you guys can't watch vids on your computer, I'll explain it all in text so just ask.

Kat,

Thank you so much for the article on hard water and skin. You seriously just helped me put together a puzzle I've been agonozing over for almost a year-- why did my skin get so weird in Japan? Answer: the water here is exceptionally hard. I also read a few testimonials about it (albiet short, but helpful, and this also explains why friends of mine living here too experienced skin changes, particularly the women).

HUGE NEWS: This also makes me realize that when I move back to the States for good in a year that my skin WILL go back to normal. I DON'T HAVE ADULT ONSET ACNE. :pray: (thank GOD)

So here is a helpful little website with some testimonials on the hard/soft water thing: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=7572

Anyway, as for blackheads: I'm not talking about those little teeny dots we all have on our noses or underneath our chins. What I have on my chin are raised blackheads that, while still obvious only to me, kind of make the skin a little red. They are pimples waiting to happen, as far as I'm concerned, but I have faith that DKR and AHA will eventually unclog them. Until then, my skin DOES look pretty good (hell, even I can admit that!).

Also, I will get the name of this cream my Japanese derm gave me that has helped pretty tremendously with my red marks in the course of a week. Seriousyl. I wouldn't believe it unless it were true. Not a miracle cure, since they've been hanging around for about 4 months anyway, but I'll let you guys know.

And as for jojoba oil-- you said it takes about a week to really start seeing the effects?

PS: thanks about hot judo guy! I'm ãŒã‚“ã°ã£ã¦ã„ã‚‹-- trying my hardest! Hehe.

Kat,

Thank you so much for the article on hard water and skin. You seriously just helped me put together a puzzle I've been agonozing over for almost a year-- why did my skin get so weird in Japan? Answer: the water here is exceptionally hard. I also read a few testimonials about it (albiet short, but helpful, and this also explains why friends of mine living here too experienced skin changes, particularly the women).

HUGE NEWS: This also makes me realize that when I move back to the States for good in a year that my skin WILL go back to normal. I DON'T HAVE ADULT ONSET ACNE. :pray: (thank GOD)

So here is a helpful little website with some testimonials on the hard/soft water thing: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=7572

Anyway, as for blackheads: I'm not talking about those little teeny dots we all have on our noses or underneath our chins. What I have on my chin are raised blackheads that, while still obvious only to me, kind of make the skin a little red. They are pimples waiting to happen, as far as I'm concerned, but I have faith that DKR and AHA will eventually unclog them. Until then, my skin DOES look pretty good (hell, even I can admit that!).

Also, I will get the name of this cream my Japanese derm gave me that has helped pretty tremendously with my red marks in the course of a week. Seriousyl. I wouldn't believe it unless it were true. Not a miracle cure, since they've been hanging around for about 4 months anyway, but I'll let you guys know.

And as for jojoba oil-- you said it takes about a week to really start seeing the effects?

PS: thanks about hot judo guy! I'm がんばっている-- trying my hardest! Hehe.

If your acne came about after moving to an area with very hard water, I would probably assume it's the water quality. Unfortunately, a lot of people don't think that the water they're washing with could actually be the cause or aggravation to their acne. Hard water contains tons of minerals and metals and is very drying. You probably also notice, while in Japan and using hard water, that your hair is kind of dry. When using hard water, my skin gets really dry. Even AFTER using jojoba oil and a lotion that contains AHA. That's why I'm really excited to get my water softener next week :D

In the year you'll be in Japan, the regimen will calm your acne down and keep your skin decently under control. But you'll notice you may breakout once in awhile, even while on the regimen. Like I said, I used to go months without a single pimple when using soft water. But when I use hard water, I get a couple of pimples a month; even while on the regimen.

Yep, jojoba oil takes about a week or two to take effect. First time I started using it, my dry skin was still there, and didn't finally go away until after a week of using jojoba oil twice a day. If you're planning on using jojoba oil only once a day in your lotion, instead of twice a day, it may take longer to take effect on your skin. Some people say jojoba oil creates an initial breakout (kind of like BP does when you first start using it), but I never experienced a breakout when I first started adding jojoba into my skin care.

Hi Kat

Thanks so much for posting your story - it is so good to hear from someone who has such a lot of experience using the regimen.

The question I would like to ask you is have you ever had any problems with the BP making you look tanned - a darkening of the skin? It's just that I've been on the regimen for 3 weeks, and had great results already - really my skin looks heaps better than before I started. Trouble is I'm Scottish and naturally very fair skinned and freckled. Today I suddenly noticed I've started to look darker, but only on my face which looks a bit weird compared to my white neck.

I appreciate this is better than acne. However I wondered if it might be temporary or if I've been perhaps using too much BP for my stage of use? One thing I've had trouble with is getting my BP supplies. I'm waiting for my delivery from Dan, but in the meantime have had to use what I could get - started with Proactiv, then managed to get some NOTS, now I am resorting to PanOxyl since Monday, which has been making me really red compared with the others. I am feeling a bit worried I'll have to stop if the darkening continues.

Any help you could offer would be so welcome. Thank you.

Hi Kat

Thanks so much for posting your story - it is so good to hear from someone who has such a lot of experience using the regimen.

The question I would like to ask you is have you ever had any problems with the BP making you look tanned - a darkening of the skin? It's just that I've been on the regimen for 3 weeks, and had great results already - really my skin looks heaps better than before I started. Trouble is I'm Scottish and naturally very fair skinned and freckled. Today I suddenly noticed I've started to look darker, but only on my face which looks a bit weird compared to my white neck.

I appreciate this is better than acne. However I wondered if it might be temporary or if I've been perhaps using too much BP for my stage of use? One thing I've had trouble with is getting my BP supplies. I'm waiting for my delivery from Dan, but in the meantime have had to use what I could get - started with Proactiv, then managed to get some NOTS, now I am resorting to PanOxyl since Monday, which has been making me really red compared with the others. I am feeling a bit worried I'll have to stop if the darkening continues.

Any help you could offer would be so welcome. Thank you.

Hey, hope you're doing alright! There could be a couple of reasons your face looks "darker" than the rest of your body.

BP makes you more sensitive to the sun and if you're outside a lot and/or tanning, your face WILL be darker than the rest of your body. And because you're so fair-skinned, you probably burn easier than others. The best way to stop and prevent this is to use a lotion that contains SPF. This will combat the suns rays a bit and maybe help with the darkening. I don't use SPF (smack smack, I'm bad hehehe), so you'll have to ask around on the forums for some good SPF-containing lotions.

If you mean darkening by being red, even a dark sunburnt-red, this is normal when starting the regimen. The products you've listed are things that I'm not familiar with, so I can't share too much info on that. The only thing I've ever used besides Dan's BP Gel is the NOTS, and I wasn't happy with the NOTS while using it. Once you get Dan's BP, it might help even out the discoloration a bit. However, the redness will go away after a couple of months. You're still very new to the regimen. For me, redness didn't start going away until about month 5 or so.

Everyone "reddens" differently. For some, they'll be a dark sunburnt-red, others will be bright, tomato red, and some, I'm assuming, can look more brown. The discoloration will most likely go away after a little more time on the regimen. Your skin is still adjusting. As long as you use the right amount of BP and the right BP, your skin will get used to it over time. Hope this helped! :surprised:

Got Dan's BP in the mail today! I love how it goes on smoother and a lot more easily than Neutrogenia Spot Treatment. It gets sticky right in the middle of spreading it on. Plus it's like, $6 for a .75 ounce tube. And $20 for an 8 ounce of Dan's.

YEAH!

:dance:

Got Dan's BP in the mail today! I love how it goes on smoother and a lot more easily than Neutrogenia Spot Treatment. It gets sticky right in the middle of spreading it on. Plus it's like, $6 for a .75 ounce tube. And $20 for an 8 ounce of Dan's.

YEAH!

:dance:

Yay, so happy for you! Dan's BP is a lot better than NOTS. For me, not only was it clear and went on clear but it also seemed to be more powerful and potent. My skin cleared dramatically after switching to Dan's BP.

Edited by Kat Kerfuffle

Hahaha I got the 16oz bottle of Dan's BP yesterday and started last night! :dance:

Look at my signature! hahahaha copied your regimen lololol, but for the lotion, how much AHA is in it? Im jw cause I wanna use it on my back as well!

Please reply! :shifty:

Edited by dvozab

Hahaha I got the 16oz bottle of Dan's BP yesterday and started last night! :dance:

Look at my signature! hahahaha copied your regimen lololol, but for the lotion, how much AHA is in it? Im jw cause I wanna use it on my back as well!

Please reply! :shifty:

Ohh, I like when people copy my regimen :D :D Hehehe.

Good luck with the regimen, give it some time and it should work wonders.

I've looked all over Eucerine's website about the actual amount of AHA in the Intensive Repair Lotion. I couldn't find the actual amount, what it did say something about a mild AHA, meaning it will help skin cell renewal like AHA but will not sting or irritate like AHA commonly does.

From Eucerine's Site:

For very dry, flaky skin, choose Eucerin® Plus Intensive Repair Creme and Lotion with Alpha Hydroxy. These formulations contain a patented combination of intensive moisturizers and an alpha hydroxy acid, for gentle exfoliation to smooth and soften. Yet, unlike other AHA moisturizers, it works without drying or stinging. Fragrance-free, pH-balanced and won’t clog pores. It is proven safe for the treatment of severely dry, flaky skin conditions.

Suitable for use even if you have sensitive skin:

• Clinically proven to be less likely to cause stinging than other alpha hydroxy products*

• Clinically proven non-sensitizing*

And the ingredients:

Water, Mineral Oil, PEG-7 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Isohexadecane, Sodium Lactate, Urea, Glycerin, Isopropyl Palmitate, Panthenol, Microcrystalline Wax, Magnesium Sulfate, Lanolin Alcohol, Bisabolol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone.

And from their FAQ:

Q: What does “AHA” mean? What does it do to the skin? Is it safe for sensitive skin?

A: "AHA" stands for Alpha Hydroxy Acid, a class of skincare ingredient that helps exfoliate the top layer of skin, to reveal the fresh new skin beneath. Although some AHA preparations are irritating and cause stinging– especially for sensitive skin– the AHA ingredients in Eucerin Plus Intensive Repair Lotion and Creme are less acidic and therefore less irritating than other AHAs. Eucerin Plus Intensive Repair products have been proven safe for use even on cracked or sensitive skin.

I really love this lotion. It contains mineral oil, which I know is usually a big no-no for people, but it's always worked for me and I missed it when I changed to another lotion. You may find this lotion to be kind of greasy (my brother doesn't like this lotion because of that), but I just pat my face with a napkin before going out to remove excess oil, and my face looks fine.

I have very oily skin, should I still use the Jojoba Oil. What would it do? How much should I use and how?

Edited by charper2013

I have very oily skin, should I still use the Jojoba Oil. What would it do? How much should I use and how?

Jojoba oil is good for oily skin too. It basically balances out the oils in your skin; it makes dry skin go away and I'm assuming oily skin becomes less oily. It's a great product to use.

I would use about 3 drops to start. Mix 3 drops into your lotion that you use with the regimen, mix it around in your palm with your fingers, and apply to your face.

Kat:

What do you use to wash your hands in between Regimen steps? I'm in my fifth week and have been using Dan's cleanser, but I'd like to use a store-bought product (to keep my use of Dan's cleanser on the same usage schedule as my other DKR products).

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!

Kat:

What do you use to wash your hands in between Regimen steps? I'm in my fifth week and have been using Dan's cleanser, but I'd like to use a store-bought product (to keep my use of Dan's cleanser on the same usage schedule as my other DKR products).

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!

Before applying my BP and then before applying lotion, I wash my hands with Softsoap Antibacterial Hand Wash (this soap). You can get this soap anywhere; from the dollar store, to Walmart, to KMart, Target, Loews, etc, etc. I've used several other handsoaps to wash my hands with before touching my face and this is the one I'm most happy with. The Dial Liquid-to-Foam handsoap isn't bad either: (this soap) but I find I go through it faster than the Softsoap one.

I've used Bath & Body Works handsoaps before and was NOT happy with them. I noticed that after washing my hands with them, my hands still held the fragrance of the soaps and I remember once breaking out while using the handsoap. I know that you don't wash your face with the handsoap, but I'm assuming some of the fragrance can stay on your hands after you rinse and while you're putting BP on, it can transfer to your face. And strong fragrance = a huge NO-NO!

The key is to also remember to rinse your hands completely. You might find you get clear and then have a breakout. One reason for that (among many others) could be that you're not rinsing the soap completely off of your hands between regimen steps, and any excess soap is going into your BP and lotion. Rinse your hands until you can't see anymore soap; whether that takes 10 seconds or a minute.

As for facial cleansers, I use Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser. I love this, and have never used anything but. You can get Cetaphil at Walmart or Target, or any grocery store or pharmacy.

Hope the regimen works well for you! Good luck.

Edited by Kat Kerfuffle

Thank you Kat for your advice regarding the skin darkening question I asked. You have really reassured me. :D

My stuff from Dan arrived today so hopefully things should keep improving from now on.

Thanks again. x

Hey Kat, I've got a little problem at the moment. I've tried not washing my face for good periods of time so that the BP can work effectively and my skin won't get irritated, but I find that quite a few whiteheads and cysts will pop up in the evenings if I don't wash my face like I usually do when I get home...

Typically I'd wash in the morning, then when I get home, then when I shower/before I go to bed. It seems excessive, I guess, but my face just feels dirty when I wait until right before bed to wash and use BP. Should I wash my face when I get home with cleanser but not put on BP? I'm just trying to prevent these random pop-ups in between washing my face in the morning and at night.

:(

Hey Kat, I've got a little problem at the moment. I've tried not washing my face for good periods of time so that the BP can work effectively and my skin won't get irritated, but I find that quite a few whiteheads and cysts will pop up in the evenings if I don't wash my face like I usually do when I get home...

Typically I'd wash in the morning, then when I get home, then when I shower/before I go to bed. It seems excessive, I guess, but my face just feels dirty when I wait until right before bed to wash and use BP. Should I wash my face when I get home with cleanser but not put on BP? I'm just trying to prevent these random pop-ups in between washing my face in the morning and at night.

:(

Whiteheads are usually a good sign. To me, whitehead means that a particular pimple is coming to an end very soon and this is the purpose of the BP. The new pimples might be caused by the BP bringing out any left over gunk from under your skin, instead of it being more a washing problem.

You've been on the regimen for a month right? If I remember correctly, I got a breakout around week 3 and 4, so it might be something that the regimen is doing by itself.

If you feel your face is really gross after getting home, you can wash your face I guess. But I'm really not sure if you should apply BP or not, it depends on when the next time you'll put BP on. If you take a shower after being home and wash your face and do the regimen, but then don't wash your face again for another 20 hours, that might cause breakouts in itself.

Make sure you're not doing anything else to cause breakouts either. Rubbing your face too hard, picking at pimples, rubbing sweat off your face, sleeping/napping in makeup. If, when you get home during the day, you take a nap while wearing makeup or having sweat and dirt on your face, that might be your problem too and that might be why you didn't breakout when you washed your face after getting home.

Sleeping or taking naps while wearing my makeup almost always causes me to breakout.

Yeah, I just finished my first month. Typically I wash my face in the morning, then wash around 5 in the afternoon after I get home, and won't wash until maybe 10/11 that night when I shower at night before bed. Sometimes I do take a nap in the afternoon... but I typically don't wear make up anymore. My face usually does get oily when I sleep. So maybe that plays a role in the whitehead production?

It'd probably be about a 5 hour period between the time I get home, wash my face, then shower before reapplying BP.

Yeah, I just finished my first month. Typically I wash my face in the morning, then wash around 5 in the afternoon after I get home, and won't wash until maybe 10/11 that night when I shower at night before bed. Sometimes I do take a nap in the afternoon... but I typically don't wear make up anymore. My face usually does get oily when I sleep. So maybe that plays a role in the whitehead production?

It'd probably be about a 5 hour period between the time I get home, wash my face, then shower before reapplying BP.

I wouldn't necessarily say that washing your face three times a day is a good thing, but if you're finding that by not washing your face three times a day it's causing a breakout, than I'd keep doing it I guess. Everyone's skin is different and what works for one person might not work for another.

Going 5 hours without BP on your face isn't horrible, but I, for instance, wouldn't let my skin go that long without BP on.