Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kat Kerfuffle

I've Been On Dan's Regimen for 4 and 1/2 Years

Hi, everyone. I've been on Dan's Regimen since I was 18 and I'm now 22 years old; so that makes 4 and 1/2 years of clear skin. I've been wanting to write a long post on here for awhile..maybe some advice for people just starting the regimen or long-time users even. I hope that even just one person benefits from the stuff I write in this post, that's kind of the purpose of it, hahaha.

Anyway, my name is Kat and as I've said, I've been on the regimen for 4+ years. When I was 18 years old, I just broke out suddenly and the break out wouldn't stop. I always had pimples when I was a teen, but nothing as brutal as the break out I had when I was 18 years old. My skin care was like it had always been: just a store bought acne wash; once a day and nothing more or less.

The summer of my 18th birthday, my face broke out to the point that people were noticing and making comments. I don't remember exactly, but I had to have had at least 25+ pimples on my face; mainly on my left cheek and chin area. By the end of the summer, my face was so broken out that I didn't want to leave my bedroom to let even my family see my face. I was really going through a bad, depressing time. I had no control over my face.

A few things could have contributed to my sudden breakout: breakup with my boyfriend, I was working in a diner and handling greasy foods and equipment (and had the habit of picking my face, all the time), I had recently moved to an area that didn't use a water softener (when my face was used to being washed with softened water).

Whatever it was, I was desperate to find a cure to my problems. I couldn't continue being locked in my bedroom and running to the mirror every 5 minutes to see if I had a new pimple. It was driving me crazy. So I went online and did a search for "acne" and Dan's website came up. And after starting his regimen of skin care, my skin started to clear up. And cleared up to the point that I have gorgeous skin and get compliments on my complexion almost constantly.

I've had some issues here and there, and with trial-and-error I found my perfect batch of products and tips and tricks to good skin. Here's what I've learned:

Switch from NOTS to Dan's Benzoyl Peroxide.

I was never big on buying things online, so when I first started the regimen I opted to go to Walmart and buy Neutrogena On The Spot. And while it works..decently, it isn't perfect and to be honest, I don't think I would have ever been completely clear if I had stayed on that stuff.

First off, it's a very small tube and the stuff is creamy white and goes on CREAMY WHITE. I can't even tell you how many times someone told me I had something white on my face; and it was the NOTS. After about a month on the regimen, I bought Dan's Benzoyl Peroxide online and the stuff is great. Bigger bottle, cheaper in the long run, ships fast, and goes on clear. I also think it's more potent or powerful than the NOTS, because my face cleared DRAMATICALLY after switching to it.

Jojoba oil, jojoba oil, jojoba oil!

When I first started the regimen, I got horrible redness and dry skin. I still get dry skin, here and there, even after 4 years of starting. And that's just because I have extremely dry skin; naturally. But jojoba oil really helps with the dry, flaky skin that nothing seems to get rid of.

I just recently decided to start buying the Jojoba Oil from Dan's website too because I kept going to Vitamin Shoppe by my house and buying "Pure" Jojoba Oil. The stuff wasn't working for me. Come to find out, it was expired as all hell and was sitting on their shelf for years and years. After doing further research, I found out that there is, in fact, a difference between "organic" and "pure". Organic, especially certified organic, is the purest form of the oil you can get and extremely regulated. However, manufacturers can put the word "pure" on their bottle without having to answer for it. And, go figure, I'm actually saving money by buying Dan's organic jojoba than going to Vitamin Shoppe and buying their "pure" stuff...

Jojoba oil also gives a great evenness to your skin and makes it extra soft. I went through about 5 months of not using jojoba in the 4 years I've been on the regimen, and my skin texture and evenness changed while not using jojoba. I also think jojoba helps clear your skin, on its own, because it balances the oils of your skin.

Gentle touch! And stay gentle...

As the years passed by of using the regimen, I found I wasn't as gentle with my skin as when I first started. I was wondering why the regimen wasn't working anymore, when I started having little breakouts here and there 3 years into the regimen. I found out the reason was because I was washing my face too roughly, and applying benzoyl and lotion too roughly. Just wash your face gently, barely touch it, don't pick at pimples in the shower, and that's it. Remember that irritation..obviously..irritates pimples. So be nice to your face and it'll be nice back. This also goes for picking. Don't pick at pimples; why acknowledge their existence and prolong their stay?

Time heals all wounds...

There is no overnight cure for acne. While Dan's skin care regimen is IMO the best out there, it still will take months to get your skin clear. Unfortunately, acne is not a nice fighter. Pimples form overnight, but take awhile to actually go away. So annoying. Sometimes you wish they would go away as fast as they come. You have to remember to be patient and not give up the regimen. Just relax and follow Dan's regimen EXACTLY, and your skin will eventually get clear.

About 6 weeks into the regimen, I was still experiencing redness and dryness really bad. And my skin was still broken out some. I was actually on the verge of stopping the regimen; I didn't think it was working..only making my skin look like a boiled lobsters. And my skin was so flaky that I had to take a bottle of lotion with me wherever I went and check my face in the mirror every few minutes. But I'm glad I stuck with it; I incorporated jojoba oil into the regimen and after a little bit, my skin started clearing and becoming beautiful.

You'll start to know your skin after awhile...

Before I started the regimen, my face broke out wherever it felt like it and whenever it felt like it. I never knew where or when I'd get a new pimple. But after awhile on the regimen, I started to understand where and when my face would breakout. For instance, I know that I breakout with at least 1 pimple, on my chin, every month. Cause I'm a girl, enough said. I also know that I never breakout on my forehead or sides of my face, but am prone to pimples on my chin and sometimes on my upper lip and apples of my cheeks. After awhile, you'll start to know your skin and that in itself is awesome because it's like having a sense of control when before your breakouts might have been out of control.

Don't get cocky

After awhile of having clear skin, you're going to think your skin can handle anything. But this is WRONG. True, after awhile you can start being more lenient with your skin, but it's still delicate and will breakout if put through too much.

After 4 years of using the regimen, I thought my skin could handle anything I threw at it. I was getting very lenient with the skin care; though still following twice a day with washing and benzoyl peroxide and lotion. One weekend, I thought it wouldn't hurt to sleep in my makeup. After all, my skin was clear and I trusted the regimen completely. However, you have to realize that you can rely on Dans regimen..only if you treat your skin decently. It took me about 2 months to finally clear my skin up from about 4 nights of sleeping with my makeup on and I've learned my lesson that my skin isn't perfect; it still needs care to keep clear.

Don't falter from the regimen just because people are around.

A lot of people feel weird if they have someone over and they put their benzoyl peroxide on with the person right there. I read on these forums once, someone saying he didn't put his benzoyl on for like 2 nights in a row because his girlfriend was staying with him and then he had a bad breakout. If you feel weird, just go in the bathroom and put it on and run the shower or something. I'm at the point now that I don't care who sees me put my benzoyl on. I put it on while sitting in the kitchen, with my boyfriend eating breakfast right next to me. When we first started dating, that's the time I was sleeping in my makeup (I felt weird putting cream on my face in front of him). As I've said, I learned my lesson and now I don't care who sees me put my benzoyl on..as long as I put it on!

More Laundry

Something I didn't realize when starting the regimen was that I was going to have more laundry than I was used to. By laundry I mean more towels to wash and more sheets to wash. It's always a good idea to change your towels regularly. I, personally, don't use mine for more than 4 washings (two days). I also change my sheets (including fitted, flat, and pillow case) twice a week. It may seem a little much for some people, but it's amazing how many oils our sheets have on them as the days go by. And especially with pillow cases; our faces may touch them throughout the night; so they have to be clean. Dirty pillow cases and you're bound to get a pimple or so from the ground in oils. Make sure you use hot water and a good quality laundry detergent to wash bedding and towels; it kills bacteria vs. cold water. Also be sure to change your pjs regularly. This may seem a no-brainer to some, but I'm assuming some people will wear the same pjs for a few days before changing them. Again, oils and dirt while sleeping are not good.

Wash Your Hands ALL THE TIME

Make sure to wash your hands before applying Benzoyl Peroxide and then again before applying lotion. Wash your hands, dry them, and then DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING except for the bottle of Benzoyl and then your face. Touching door knobs, walls, chairs, tv remotes, and mirrors is not a good idea because there is always bacteria on these surfaces. And acne is built up bacteria and dirt; so why contribute to it? It took me awhile to learn to just wash my hands, dry, and then apply my creams and lotions without touching other things; but now it's a habit of mine.

If you have to touch your face for whatever reason throughout the day, wash your hands first. But avoid touching your face. Picking at acne and skin will worsen the situation. I got out of the "picking" habit quickly after starting the regimen. When washing your face in the shower or sink, just glide water on your skin, apply cleanser and wash off within seconds. Don't rub too hard, don't pick at pimples (being in the shower doesn't somehow make the picking-habit O.K. to do, something I learned over time), and go by the saying "Look, Don't Touch". It's amazing that by just rubbing your face a little harder when washing it may cause a breakout. Skin on the regimen is very delicate and needs to be treated with extra care. The more steps you take to ensure your skin is clean and untouched during the day, the more your skin will thank you by clearing up.

Water Softener VS No Softener

I've used both softened water and hard water while on the regimen. I am actually currently living in a house that does NOT have a water softener. I did find that my skin was softer and more prone to NOT having breakouts when I was living in a house with a water softener installed, however in the 2 months I've been living here KNOCK WOOD my skin has been decently clear; and as I've said we have no water softener installed here. I assume that if you're really having a hard time keeping or getting your skin clear, you might want to install a water softener in your home (or ask your parents about it), but I don't think it's extremely necessary after your skin has cleared up and is regularly cleaned and benzoyled-up. Do a google search for "acne hard water" or "acne water softener".

However, I will say that even though the hard water hasn't KNOCK WOOD bothered my skin that much as of yet, I am still planning on installing a water softener in my new home within a month or two; only because I know that softened water is better for your skin and hair (and dishes..), and my skin has been dryer than usual because of the water quality I'm currently using.

Take Dan's Test if You're Still Having Problems with the Regimen

Even after 3 years of being on the regimen, I needed a little advice about some problems I had suddenly started having. I was starting to have sudden, minor breakouts and they wouldn't stop; even though I was following the regimen exactly. I came on acne.org and took Dan's new Advice Test (http://www.acne.org/advice.php) and found out the reason I might have been having a minor breakout was due to the fact that I was taking too long to apply my Benzoyl Peroxide and in turn was touching my face more than I should have.

So I advise anyone who is having problems clearing up, to take that quiz and see your results. After taking the advice the results gave me, my skin cleared up in a matter of a week or so. Also, if anyone has a question they'd like to ask me, I'm here to help answer some questions..so just ask :)

What I use, and have been using for 4 years:

Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser (twice a day)

Dan's Benzoyl Peroxide (twice a day)

Eucerine PLUS Intensive Repair Lotion (this lotion has AHA in it) (twice a day)

6 drops of Jojoba Oil in lotion (twice a day)

My daily regimen:

I take a shower in the morning and wash with Cetaphil; gently. I then wait about 10 minutes after my shower, wash my hands, and apply Benzoyl Peroxide. I then wait until all of the peroxide has dried, wash my hands, and apply Eucerine lotion with 6 drops of Jojoba Oil onto my face.

About 12 hours later (I like to keep my intervals of washings between 9-14 hours apart), I will take another shower (I'm OCD with showers, lol) and do the same as the morning regimen. I avoid touching my face throughout the day and night and yell at my boyfriend if he touches my face, hahaha!

I hope my post has helped even just one person on these forums. Don't give up on the regimen, follow it exactly and you're bound to have great results. The first few months were pretty brutal for me, but I'm glad I stuck with it because I'm actually proud of my skin now. Something I couldn't say when I was 18 years old. Have a great day everyone! :dance:

Edited by Kat Kerfuffle

Great post (:

Why did you choose that cleanser instead of Dans?

Even though I don't doubt Dan's cleanser works, I just started the regimen using Cetaphil and I never had a problem with it so I never felt the need to change my cleanser.

Same with my lotion. I personally love the Eucerine lotion I use. It has AHA (alpha hydroxy acid) already in it. One time when I went to the store, I couldn't get that particular lotion and opted to get the plain Eucerine lotion. Big mistake. I had problems with dry, flaky skin while using the plain Eucerine; even though I was using jojoba oil with it! After going back to the Eucerine with AHA mixed with jojoba oil, my dry skin subsided.

Thank you for your post. It is very insightful. I've always wanted to know if the regimen can last the test of time, and you provided us a glimpse of that. Thank you so much for the time you took to post. I've only been on the regimen for four months, and have experienced great improvement on my skin. Here are some questions I have for a veteran user like yourself:

(1) How many pumps of BP do you still use day and night?; (2) Have you had any skin reactions using BP for so long? I'm just afraid of the long-term effect of using BP (considering that it is a harsh chemical put on the skin) and what BP may cause in the future; (3) Finally question, Have you ever incorporated other skin care products with the regimen and was the regimen less effective?

Looking forward to your input. Thank you again.

Thank you for your post. It is very insightful. I've always wanted to know if the regimen can last the test of time, and you provided us a glimpse of that. Thank you so much for the time you took to post. I've only been on the regimen for four months, and have experienced great improvement on my skin. Here are some questions I have for a veteran user like yourself:

(1) How many pumps of BP do you still use day and night?; (2) Have you had any skin reactions using BP for so long? I'm just afraid of the long-term effect of using BP (considering that it is a harsh chemical put on the skin) and what BP may cause in the future; (3) Finally question, Have you ever incorporated other skin care products with the regimen and was the regimen less effective?

Looking forward to your input. Thank you again.

I'm so glad the regimen is working for you! I remember my skin didn't finally become "tolerable" until after 4 months or so of starting the regimen. After 4 months, my skin started getting used to the Benzoyl, redness subsided, and dryness went away; along with my breakouts.

1) I use a finger length of BP morning and night and have always done so since getting my skin used to it when first starting the regimen 4 years ago. After doing Dan's skin care regimen morning and night for 4 and a half years, I don't even have to look in the mirror when applying BP anymore. I also know when I put too much BP on one side of my face or too little. It's like second nature now. I remember when first starting the regimen, I would sit in front of the mirror when applying the BP, and now I just sit and watch tv when applying BP or sometimes I'll watch a video on youtube or something.

2) BP "is" a really harsh chemical on your skin, however I believe that skin becomes used to it. If I were to stop using it all together, I think my skin would hate me and breakout in retaliation. Using BP alone, I'm sure, will wrinkle your skin over time. Incorporating the right lotion and especially Jojoba Oil into your skin care regimen will make your skin soft and dewy. I don't know how my skin will be another 5 years from now, but so far my skin has adjusted fine and is used to being slathered in BP all the time. My profile pic was me about 5 months ago, and my skin is pretty clear and soft in the picture.

3) I have never incorporated anything else into my skin care regimen. I think if I had, I would have had breakouts throughout the years. Once my skin became adjusted to the "cleanse, BP, lotion+jojoba regimen", I never felt the need to incorporate anything else. If my skin is a little dryer than usual one day, I'll dab a little jojoba oil onto the dry sections; as opposed to some who would exfoliate with a rough pad or something. Instead of facials, I just rely on the jojoba oil to soften my skin. If you have a problem with dry skin, try the Eucerine PLUS Intensive Lotion I use. It has AHA in it and that will help exfoliate dry skin over time as opposed to just plain, fragrance-free lotion.

I've been a victim of the "pretty package" syndrome. I walk through a store and see a product for a facial or mask or lotion or cream and want to try it. But I've learned to just trust in my skin care regimen and pass the product right by. My opinion; if it's working, don't add and don't subtract.

IRONHIDE: Not sure who's facebook that is; it takes me to a bad link. My facebook is facebook.com/rightkerfuffle

Thanks Kat for all your inputs, I really appreciate it. A few more questions, if you don't mind. I stopped using make-up since I started the regimen, just to get rid of any variables that may contribute to skin irritations and to allow my skin to just heal and breath. I used Bare Minerals thinking it is a lot more gentle than the conventional make up out there. However, after much research on the ingredients of Bare Minerals I found that it does clog pores and cause irritations (at least it does for my very sensitive skin).

So my questions are: Did you continue using make up while on the regimen? If so, what did you end up using? What has been your experience with make up while on the regimen?

Thank you Kat!

Thanks Kat for all your inputs, I really appreciate it. A few more questions, if you don't mind. I stopped using make-up since I started the regimen, just to get rid of any variables that may contribute to skin irritations and to allow my skin to just heal and breath. I used Bare Minerals thinking it is a lot more gentle than the conventional make up out there. However, after much research on the ingredients of Bare Minerals I found that it does clog pores and cause irritations (at least it does for my very sensitive skin).

So my questions are: Did you continue using make up while on the regimen? If so, what did you end up using? What has been your experience with make up while on the regimen?

Thank you Kat!

No, I don't mind questions at all! And thanks so much, I'm glad my post is helping some people out on here.

I, too, stopped using makeup right when I started the regimen. But after about 2 weeks, I was going somewhere formal and wanted to wear makeup..so when I went to put makeup on, I was using a thick, creamy foundation and found that when I put it on, it sloughed off dry skin and made my face look really cake-y and gross.

I went to the store soon after that incident and looked for different makeup to try. I wanted something that covered like a foundation, but wasn't a cream because it wasn't working with my constant dry skin when first starting the regimen.

I bought L'Oreal True Match Powder (target link) This stuff is AMAZING. It's a powder, but covers like a foundation. Obviously, you buy the shade that matches your skin. I still use this stuff, even after 4+ years, as my primary foundation coverage. I just use a makeup sponge and apply it gently and it lasts all day and comes off great with Cetaphil Cleanser.

After that, I apply a pressed powder to my whole face. I've always used Covergirl Clean Pressed Powder. I've been using it since I was about 13 and never felt the need to change it; even after starting the regimen.

The makeup you choose is entirely up to you, but in my personal opinion, I would stay away from gunky, thick foundation creams. I'm sure some of them are non-comedogenic, but if there's something thick and goo-ey on my face all day, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if I'd break out from it. Stick to powders. Once your face clears nicely, you won't even need anything heavier than a pressed powder.

I've never used Bare Minerals before, so I can't say how they'd work for me.

And to answer your questions:

1) Yes, I continued using makeup while on the regimen. I try not to wear it everyday, however. And when first starting the regimen (the first few weeks), I tried to avoid makeup all together. When I was working full time about 3 years ago, I wore makeup 5-6 days out of the week. It didn't irritate my skin at all. I didn't like wearing makeup that much though because I always thought wearing makeup all the time would catch up with me, lol. As of right now, I wear makeup maybe once or twice a week. If I chose to wear it more often, though, I don't think there'd be any breakouts from it.

So those are my products; L'Oreal True Match Powder and Covergirl Pressed Powder. I use all the other girly stuff like eyeshadows, liners, lip gloss, etc. I remove eye makeup with Jojoba Oil. I've also found that tweezing causes pimples (ie: causes irritation that in turn causes pimples). Unfortunately, for most girls, stopping their tweezing is out of the question lol :snooty:

I'm glad to hear it took someone over 4 months to feel like their skin was "tolerable" because I'm at month 4 and I still have red/irritated skin days, and some minor breakouts -- I'm trying to figure out if it's something I'm doing....

So many people are clear in 6 weeks, 8 weeks, etc. and I'm on 4 months and still not completely clear yet. Do you still breakout or have small blemishes? I was like you and had a horrible breakout all of a sudden after just occasional pimples up until then -- although I was 10 years older than you were.

Thanks for the post!

I'm glad to hear it took someone over 4 months to feel like their skin was "tolerable" because I'm at month 4 and I still have red/irritated skin days, and some minor breakouts -- I'm trying to figure out if it's something I'm doing....

So many people are clear in 6 weeks, 8 weeks, etc. and I'm on 4 months and still not completely clear yet. Do you still breakout or have small blemishes? I was like you and had a horrible breakout all of a sudden after just occasional pimples up until then -- although I was 10 years older than you were.

Thanks for the post!

I remember very clearly the first couple of months were horrible for me on the regimen. My parents kept telling me to stop using the products because my skin was extremely red and dry and not even that clear of pimples. I started the regimen in August of my 18th birthday and my skin didn't become clear and redness-free (and dryness free) until about December or January. There were days I thought I had looked better with just pimples as opposed to pimples, redness, and dryness.

My advice would be to stick with it. After 5-6 months..if your face is still really red and dry, try to see if you're doing anything wrong. Use jojoba to combat dryness (after incorporating jojoba into my regimen, the dryness went away in a week or so) and redness will fade as your skin becomes used to a fingers length of BP.

And yes, I still get days where I will just randomly breakout with a pimple or two or three. Normally it's due to because of something I did to get the pimple. Using dirty towels, touching my face throughout the day, tweezing, sleeping with my face smooshed against a dirty pillow case, being sloppy with food, etc, etc. The regimen isn't a "cure" for acne. You will still get pimples here and there, and everyone is different. For instance, I still do get pimples, but the last pimple I've had (KNOCK WOOD, lol!!) was about a month ago and it lasted about 3 days. This is as opposed to when I was 18 and was breaking out with a new pimple daily and sometimes twice a day.

Thank you SO MUCH for your post. I've been dealing with moderate to severe acne on and off for the last fifteen years or so. For some reason, this program gives me hope, more than Proactiv, SkinID, other kits, and all those derm scrubs/pills I got in my early 20's from the doctor. I had sort of given up in a way until I started doing some research, found this website, and now I've been on the regimen for a few weeks now. I have been reading through a lot of posts and was hoping to come across a post like yours regarding experience over the years as well as make up information.

I stopped using makeup once I started for the same reason you stated: eliminate the variable. I had an event to attend over the past weekend and I decided to try out make up. I used my makeup products in much of the same way I used to prior to starting the regimen: I used Lacome liquid foundation and pressed powder, all applied with clean makeup brushes, along with little blush and eye makeup. I found that, despite the quality of the products or the application, the makeup would not "sit right." It was blotchy and patchy where my skin was dry and flaky and ended up looking horrible! I ended up taking off almost all of it and wearing a light dusting powder once I re-applied the regimen and the moisturizer was absorbed. I haven't tried any make up since. I'll try your TrueMatch powder and see what that does for me.

I don't wear makeup everyday usually, but I would like to have something for special occasions. Thanks for your tips.

Question: for make-up remover, I used Neutragena's makeup remover towelettes, although I was a lot more gentle than I had been in the past. I am using the Clean and Clear cleanser that Dan recommended right now (applied gently for 10 seconds), but I would think that, to effectively remove makeup, something would need to be added to really get that makeup off the skin. I used the wipes gently, wiping until relatively clean, then followed up with the regimen. Does this seem reasonable or is there something else I could be doing that might be just as/more effective but less damaging?

Oh, and I appreciated your comments regarding the NOTS and the whiteness: one of my students asked me about "the funny white marks" on my face this morning. I think I may be ordering Dan's version of the BP. Clear stuff=better than white stuff:)

Thank you SO MUCH for your post. I've been dealing with moderate to severe acne on and off for the last fifteen years or so. For some reason, this program gives me hope, more than Proactiv, SkinID, other kits, and all those derm scrubs/pills I got in my early 20's from the doctor. I had sort of given up in a way until I started doing some research, found this website, and now I've been on the regimen for a few weeks now. I have been reading through a lot of posts and was hoping to come across a post like yours regarding experience over the years as well as make up information.

I stopped using makeup once I started for the same reason you stated: eliminate the variable. I had an event to attend over the past weekend and I decided to try out make up. I used my makeup products in much of the same way I used to prior to starting the regimen: I used Lacome liquid foundation and pressed powder, all applied with clean makeup brushes, along with little blush and eye makeup. I found that, despite the quality of the products or the application, the makeup would not "sit right." It was blotchy and patchy where my skin was dry and flaky and ended up looking horrible! I ended up taking off almost all of it and wearing a light dusting powder once I re-applied the regimen and the moisturizer was absorbed. I haven't tried any make up since. I'll try your TrueMatch powder and see what that does for me.

I don't wear makeup everyday usually, but I would like to have something for special occasions. Thanks for your tips.

Question: for make-up remover, I used Neutragena's makeup remover towelettes, although I was a lot more gentle than I had been in the past. I am using the Clean and Clear cleanser that Dan recommended right now (applied gently for 10 seconds), but I would think that, to effectively remove makeup, something would need to be added to really get that makeup off the skin. I used the wipes gently, wiping until relatively clean, then followed up with the regimen. Does this seem reasonable or is there something else I could be doing that might be just as/more effective but less damaging?

Oh, and I appreciated your comments regarding the NOTS and the whiteness: one of my students asked me about "the funny white marks" on my face this morning. I think I may be ordering Dan's version of the BP. Clear stuff=better than white stuff:)

Hi, painted1, I'm so glad you're finally having some hope for the future with Dan's regimen! If given time, it truly works wonders. Unfortunately, most people expect to see results overnight (as did I) and are disappointed when their skin doesn't improve within a week or two.

The makeup experience you had was identical to mine. The foundation kind of "gunked" up in little balls of dry skin colored by foundation. It looked better to just not wear makeup, lol!

Thicker makeup, like cream foundations etc, would probably require special makeup removers. I personally use jojoba oil (for eye makeup removal); it's already incorporated into your skin care regimen and I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to pour a little on a towel or napkin and wipe your face with it. In my personal opinion, makeup remover "towelettes" have a lot of fragrance on them, along with alcohol and other chemicals. Things that do NOT go with Dan's regimen and will actually hinder the results you would have otherwise achieved with the regimen alone.

The reason I love the L'Oreal True Match Powder as the foundation I use is because it covers blemishes and spots well, but is light enough that Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser takes it all off. And Cetaphil, like it says, is a very gentle cleanser. It barely even suds up, but it will remove the L'Oreal Powder.

If You want to wear makeup but don't want to really effect the way the regimen is working, I would focus on eye and lip makeup. Avoid foundations and face powders and just wear eye shadow, eye liner, mascara, and maybe some lip gloss. That way, your face isn't being slathered with foundations and powders yet you still look made up enough to go out. Like I said, once your skin clears completely, makeup will be something to enhance, not coverup.

My makeup regimen: When I wear makeup, at the end of the day I will put a little jojoba oil onto a wad of toilet paper and wipe any mascara or eye liner from my eyes. I then just take a shower as usual and wash my face as usual. Maybe, if I feel like I wore too much makeup that day, I will pump out a little extra face wash..but not much. Wash gently, as usual, pat your face dry after the shower or sink washing. I then go over my eyes with a little more jojoba oil to make sure that any left over eye makeup is removed, and that's about it. I then apply the BP and lotion+jojoba oil as usual.

And yes, I would definitely switch to Dan's BP. In my opinion, it's more effective than NOTS and doesn't go on white. My brother used to make fun of me when I was using NOTS, because I always had white cream on my face hahaha.

IRONHIDE: Thanks so much :) I just added you back.

Excellent post. Thanks so much for coming and sharing your story. I know threads like these are always so helpful and encouraging for new people. :)

Did you have many ups and downs of breakouts - even small ones - and red/irritated days even a few months into the regimen? I know you said it took about 4 months to feel like your skin was tolerable, but even after that did you still have bad days? I have been having a week or so of great days - no redness etc. - then to have another week or so of redness and irritation. I'm trying to figure out if it's the new bottle of BP I'm using or just that I'm still adjusting -- even though I feel like it's been enough already!!

Did you have many ups and downs of breakouts - even small ones - and red/irritated days even a few months into the regimen? I know you said it took about 4 months to feel like your skin was tolerable, but even after that did you still have bad days? I have been having a week or so of great days - no redness etc. - then to have another week or so of redness and irritation. I'm trying to figure out if it's the new bottle of BP I'm using or just that I'm still adjusting -- even though I feel like it's been enough already!!

Hi, TMB :) I'm happy to hear you've made it to the 4 month mark! I too was experiencing bad and good days in my 4th month on the regimen. I started the regimen in August (4 years ago) and in November, I clearly remember having to take a day or two off of college because I couldn't get my dry skin under control. And yes, my face was still red most of the time in the 4th month.

My opinion, I would stick to the half-year mark. If, after 6 months, you're still experiencing redness and dryness, I wouldn't necessarily stop the regimen but I would take a look at my daily lifestyle and the products I'm using. By 6 months, my skin was basically regulated by the BP and redness and dryness was at a minimum until finally there just wasn't any redness or dryness left. My breakouts stopped once I hit the half-year mark too, and after that I would only break out maybe with one pimple every few months. Up until 6 months, my skin was still experiencing, as you put it, "bad and good days".

And this isn't to scare you or make you anxious like "Oh crap, I've been on the regimen for 5 months and I'm still experiencing breakouts and redness, I hope it gets 100% better by the half-year mark...." I'm just saying this because once you hit the 6 month mark, and you're still experiencing problems, you need to look at what you are using and doing. For instance:

1) Are you washing your sheets and towels regularly?

2) Are you using enough BP and are you using Dan's BP (which, IMO, is superior to NOTS)

3) Have you incorporated jojoba oil into your daily skin care routine and are you using enough drops in your lotion?

4) Are you washing your hands before applying BP and lotion and MORE IMPORTANTLY are you washing all of the soap off when you do so?

5) Are you wearing very heavy makeup more than two or three times a week?

6) Are you sleeping in your makeup? (I've found that sleeping in your makeup is one of the worst things you can do, even just taking a nap while wearing makeup.)

7) Did you add things to your daily skin care regimen that shouldn't be there? (IE: rough exfoliating, different oils, scrubs, harsh cleansers, creams other than BP, fragranced lotions, facial masks and peels)

8) Do you still pick at pimples?

9) Are you applying makeup with dirty sponges? (I use a fresh sponge applicator every time I put makeup on. I get mine at the dollar store; about 20 for a dollar)

10) Are you applying the BP gently and only long enough to spread on your face? Same with washing?

And to answer your questions, yes I will still get a pimple here and there. My face is not cured of acne, just like no one's else will be. But I have any acne I may get under control...if that makes sense. Hormones play a huge part in getting pimples and I know that most girls will get a pimple every month for obvious reasons. If you're on the regimen and it's been working for you and all of a sudden you breakout with a pimple or two (or three), don't panic, it's probably just a flux in hormones and it's playing on your skin for the time being. Just be sure to stick with the regimen, and it will keep most breakouts away; even hormonal.

About 6 months to a year after starting the regimen, I would go months without getting a pimple. I think my record, while on the regimen, was 6 months without a single pimple. This was also due to the fact that I was living in a house with a water softener. After the water softener broke in the house and I had to use hard water, I found out I broke out more often (though not horribly often). After switching to using hard water, I get maybe a pimple a month, sometimes 2 or 3 pimples a month (which usually clear in a matter of days). This is the reason why I'm investing into a new softener for my new house. If you're having a hard time clearing up or staying clear, I would look into investing into a water softener. Last time I checked, in Loews they were like $300-$400. Not cheap, but it's better for your skin in the long run.

The last time I had a bad breakout was back in December of 2009. And by bad breakout, I mean I had maybe 6-8 pimples on my face. The reason for my sudden breakout was because I thought that I could do anything to my skin because I assumed that Benzoyl Peroxide would save me from my own stupidity, lol. I slept in my makeup for a night here, and a night there, and then another 2 nights. 4 nights of sleeping with my makeup on and it took me 2 months for my breakout from it to clear. For awhile there, I thought Dan's Regimen had finally come to an end for me and stopped working; but it was just working extra hard to clear my stupidity of sleeping in my makeup haha.

I will also still experience dry skin here and there, and this is due to the fact that 1) I have dry skin naturally and always have and 2) I'm using hard water to wash with, and hard water is very drying to your skin. To combat it, I use extra jojoba oil. When I was using soft water to wash my face with, I put 3 drops of jojoba into my lotion, twice a day. But now that I'm using hard water I use 6 drops of jojoba in my lotion, twice a day.

I think a lot of peoples problem when starting this regimen is that they expect improvement within a few weeks, and for some I'm sure that works, but for most it will take months to get your skin clear. Another big problem that I see is people incorporating other products into Dan's Regimen. After 2 weeks of using BP, people will start experiencing dryness and start using a peel every few days to get rid of it, or someone will use a cleanser that isn't recommended by Dan, some people will put other acne-fighting ingredients on their face along with the BP because they see their face isn't improving within a week or two.

It's important to realize that the reason Dan's Regimen is so popular is because it works. And his regimen is set on the "cleanse, BP, lotion" method. The only other things you should incorporate is jojoba oil and/or AHA into your daily regimen. Once you start adding other things to your face, you're in your own hands hahaha. :whistle:

You're great!!!! This was amazing and so extremely helpful and motivating -- I'm definitely sticking with it and hope that sometime I get to write on here with just as positive a message.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I just wanted to add something to this post for new users too;

New Texture to Your Skin

Something I didn't expect while on the regimen was how much my skin texture would change. Soon after starting the regimen I noticed two things about my new skin texture:

1) More visible pores. I liken this to the fact that the BP is oxygenating your skin and opening your pores. If I remember correctly, my pores became less visible as my skin became used to the BP. But even after 4 and a half years, my pores are still somewhat visible. I guess you could use a pore minimizer to help, but I have never used and don't recommend using anything other than your regimen products.

and

2) More visible peach fuzz. This might sound gross, but about a week after using BP, I thought it was making my face grow hair. This will sound weird to some, but I'm sure other people have experienced this. Everyone has peach fuzz on their face; girls, guys. And after being on the regimen for about a week, I noticed more peach fuzz on my face. Whether this was do to pores opening or the fact that I was scrutinizing my face more often, it still seemed like I had more peach fuzz on my face. As of right now, I don't have any facial hair whatsoever. Just the normal amount of peach fuzz that everyone has, but I still swear that I grew more peach fuzz, even just a little bit, by being on the regimen.

Getting Rid of Flakes

I notice that when I have flakes, even while using jojoba oil, they are easiest to get off with a tweezer. I've heard a lot of people picking at the flakes with their fingers, but IMO, it's cleaner and safer for your skin to use tweezers. Make sure the tweezers have been cleaned (I use an antibacterial hand soap for mine) and just pluck the flakes off. This has helped me in a bind multiple times and I'm sure will help others too. This is temporary though. If you're suffering with bad dry skin, just add more jojoba oil to your face (I swear by jojoba oil) and/or use a mild, fragrance-free lotion that contains AHA. These two things combined should get rid of the dry skin. I use Eucerine PLUS Intensive Repair Lotion (which contains AHA).

Oily Skin

After using lotions and oils, your face most likely will look oily. Even though I love the lotion I use, it has a bad reputation of leaving a very oily sheen; and I don't deny this fact. It will be too expensive, in the long run, to keep buying special "oil blotting sheets". Even the cheapest will lead into some high costs if you follow the regimen for years; believe me I've been there haha. I have found that a napkin will work just as good to remove excess oil from your face. Before applying makeup, I ALWAYS pat my face with a napkin or two. If I don't, my face will still look oily even after using pressed powders. The key is to make sure you use napkins; paper towels won't work (for me anyway) and neither does toilet paper (didn't work for me either). It doesn't matter what type of napkin; just the generic, household type. More expensive, thicker napkins may or may not work. I have found the cheaper napkins work better. Take the napkin and just PAT your face with it. Do not rub your face with the napkin; it'll irritate your skin and cause breakouts. Because the BP has been absorbed into your skin, patting your face with a napkin should not remove any BP. It is only removing excess oils from your lotion that were not absorbed into your skin. If you feel your face is too shiny or your makeup still looks oily even after applying your compact powder, you might want to try this.

Thanks for all the advice. It's great to know that it really works!

I've been on it for about a month and it's pretty much a roller coaster. My acne is concentrated on my lower cheeks, around the sides of my mouth, and on my chin a bit. Everything else has cleared up amazingly in the past month. My forehead has never looked better, even scars on the upper apples of my cheeks and sides of my face are better. My blackheads on my nose are completely gone. It's working, for sure! But I have cysts on my cheeks... Painful, horribly red cysts. Some are whiteheads, and some aren't.

One of my biggest problems is sensitivity. It almost hurts to wash my face, even when I'm extremely gentle. One or two mornings I'll wake up and my cysts are so inflamed I'll have to take Advil to reduce the swelling and pain. They also itch, too. It's VERY difficult not to touch my face when it's so itchy... Did you have this problem? Is it just my face getting used to the BP?

And I have a weird combination of dry/oily skin. My nose and forehead get very oily, but my cheeks and around my mouth are SO dry. Usually a light facial with jojoba oil will help with the flakiness, so that's getting under control... but my face is still really sensitive. Any advice?

Thanks for all the advice. It's great to know that it really works!

I've been on it for about a month and it's pretty much a roller coaster. My acne is concentrated on my lower cheeks, around the sides of my mouth, and on my chin a bit. Everything else has cleared up amazingly in the past month. My forehead has never looked better, even scars on the upper apples of my cheeks and sides of my face are better. My blackheads on my nose are completely gone. It's working, for sure! But I have cysts on my cheeks... Painful, horribly red cysts. Some are whiteheads, and some aren't.

One of my biggest problems is sensitivity. It almost hurts to wash my face, even when I'm extremely gentle. One or two mornings I'll wake up and my cysts are so inflamed I'll have to take Advil to reduce the swelling and pain. They also itch, too. It's VERY difficult not to touch my face when it's so itchy... Did you have this problem? Is it just my face getting used to the BP?

And I have a weird combination of dry/oily skin. My nose and forehead get very oily, but my cheeks and around my mouth are SO dry. Usually a light facial with jojoba oil will help with the flakiness, so that's getting under control... but my face is still really sensitive. Any advice?

The regimen really does work wonders. The only thing I regret is not taking a BEFORE picture before starting. I used to photoshop all of my pictures when I had acne so it wouldn't show, lol.

A month is still very new to the regimen, so everything you're experiencing is normal. As I've said, for the average person, it will take months to get your skin clear. I stick by the 6 month mark. By 6 months (for some sooner, for others a little longer) your skin should be clear, itch-free, redness-free, dryness-free, etc, etc.

The itching when starting the regimen is almost unbearable, I still remember it. Just try not to scratch your face because the more you touch your face, the more you might break out. The regimen works on products, but it also relies on gentleness. This means not too much rubbing when washing, gentle touch, and no picking or scratching. After awhile, not touching your face will become just as much of a habit as picking at pimples is. 4 years into it and I never touch my face. If I have an itch, I just leave it alone. I don't sleep with my face smooshed in my pillow, and I never pick at pimples. My face is literally untouched unless I'm washing it, applying BP, or applying lotion. Oh, and if I put on makeup..and even then, I use a fresh sponge; not my fingers.

The itching will get better over time. It's just a reaction to the BP that is normal and to be expected.

The big, red pimples are the worst. I still get those from time to time; especially that special time of the month. I love hormones. And this is 4 years on the regimen. Unfortunately, sometimes you just have to ride some things out. I've been researching Dan's AHA as a spot treatment for these particular pimples; the ones you feel coming on days before they do, big, ugly red ones that are painful as all hell. Like you, I too use Advil to help with the pain and swelling. I would recommend looking into Dan's AHA like I'm doing. It's supposed to be good as a spot treatment to stop these big ones from coming to the surface.

Now when you say sensitivity, do you mean that it burns to wash your face? If so, this could be one of two things: 1) Your face is still getting used to the BP. As I've said, a month on the regimen is actually still very early on it. You still have a bit to go before your face starts settling down. But no worries, it'll be worth it in the end, you'll see.

or 2) You're washing your face too early after doing your morning regimen. Even after 4 years of using BP, I notice that if I wash my face 7 or less hours after I last washed my face and applied BP, my face will burn. Basically what I'm saying is if you take a shower at noon and do the regimen and then wash your face at 7pm and do the regimen again; you're doing it too soon. I find that if I don't let the BP sit for at least 8 or 9 hours, my face will burn when I wash it. This is because the BP is still somewhat fresh on your face.

It's always a good idea to do the regimen twice a day at about 10-12 hour intervals. If you take a shower at 9am, then you should wash your face and do the regimen again at 7pm-9pm that night. Currently, my work schedule doesn't allow me to do this. I get up at 6am every morning, go to work for about 6 hours, take a shower at noon, and then I don't take my nightly shower until 10pm. But I'm still keeping the hourly intervals at a decent space apart.

And if you mean sensitivity as in the pimples you have hurt, than you can either take Advil like you're doing to help with the pain and swelling and/or just wait for those pimples to go away.

After awhile, the flakes around your mouth will go away. And if you have oily skin, try the napkin technique I talked about in my last post on this thread.

Edited by Kat Kerfuffle

That might be it... The "washing your face too soon" between applications. My face just feels... dirty...? I guess. It'll get oily or sweaty. I have a habit of wanting to wash my face when I get home from being out... whether it was being out since early in the morning or just 4 hours or so. I live in the South, so humidity is a huge problem down here and I sweat and get oily very fast... It leaves my face feeling so dirty and gross that I want to wash. What's the best solution to that?

And I just ordered Dan's BP 8oz. from this site so if it does work better than the Neutrogena BP (which I've heard it does) then I'll be sure to grab some AHA with it next time I order for spot treatment!

Sensitivity I guess just because my cheeks hurt even washing my face no matter how gentle I am... I guess I will just keep taking Advil since it does the trick pretty well. I'd just rather not rely on medicine. But I guess it'll stop after a while...

Thank you very much!

Hey there,

Thanks for your encouraging thread! It brings a lot of hope to a lot of people, though I have had faith in the Regimen for a while. Dan seems like such a great guy!

But anyway--

What was your experience with the Regimen and blackheads? I am MOSTLY clear after 6.5 weeks (some days I'm super red and flakey, other days not so much, waiting for my jojoba oil to get here!), but I have a few clogged pores on my face. Most of them are on my chin, and my chin has been struggling the most of probably any part of my face. There are also a few on my forehead, but I am also using Differin on it.

My main battle at this point is red marks. They're fading so slowly... when were you clear of redmarks and acne?

Anyway, does BP get rid of these damn things, or does it always turn it into an inflamed zit? Is there any way I can extract them myself? The problem is that I got a few pimples that I thought were resolving these blackheads, but then they didn't. So basically, I went through the bullshit of having the zits but nothing really got brought to the surface... is this normal?

Lastly, do our faces love routine? I am thinking that this is pretty crucial. Does it hate it when we put a bunch of crap on it at night? (Or personify it? hehe).

Thanks a billion, and take care!

Edited by hotglue01

Oh, Serendipty:

I just saw your thread and I know EXACTLY how you feel. Before my acne breakout this winter I would normally wash it maybe 3 times just to get off all that crap from our faces. I live in Japan on a small island about 300 feet from the ocean so trust me, I GET how humidity makes your face feel gross :)

That said, I have found that washing a 3rd time never does anything but irritate the face. Honestly. Make sure your makeup is good and non-comedogenic so that if it does get sweat in it it's not going to irritate your skin. As I'm typing this my forehead itches like there's no tomorrow from walking in and out of hot, unairconditioned classrooms and teaching lessons while sweating...

Just resist that temptation because it will do no good! Hope that helps a little :)