Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Werkzeug

Scripted meds & government subsidies

After browsing the forums I noticed that many users lament their lack of insurance, presumably health insurance, which prevents them from getting the acne treatment they need. I also saw posts claiming that accutane cost people hundreds of dollars... :confused:

Forgive my ignorancre, but what does this mean? Do you need health insurance to fund the purchase of medication, even with a prescription? Is this an American thing or does it affect people the world over?

I live in New Zealand, where we seem to have government funding for certain medications to increase affordability. I have received the following products on prescription to treat my skin conditions.

Ketopine/Ketoconazole anti-dandruff shampoo - comes in 100ml bottles, $3 each

(I swear by this stuff, it really works fantastically)

Doxcycline (antibiotic) - One complete course for $3

Accutane (isotane/oratane) - You guessed it, $3

I didn't even have to see a specialized dermatologist to start accutane. My regular GP organised a blood test and sent away for permission, and I was sorted.

Please note, I don't wish to boast about my country, though I am proud of being able to buy real working treatments for so little cost, and avoid "brand name" stuff...

I simply wish to ask why people in other areas don't appear to have access to this sort of thing.

Here in America it's all about what you can pay for. For instance, my parents have really good insurance so all my prescriptions are $5 US, but I've seen other people with the same insurance (different benefits) paying $25 for prescriptions. Many others have no insurance at all and have to pay full price for medicine, no matter how much it's needed. The wealthier you are, the better health insurance you're likely to have. It's sad, but it's true.

This has been a really hot topic in our government lately.

Edited by Lady Odd Duck

Here in America it's all about what you can pay for. For instance, my parents have really good insurance so all my prescriptions are $5 US, but I've seen other people with the same insurance (different benefits) paying $25 for prescriptions. Many others have no insurance at all and have to pay full price for medicine, no matter how much it's needed. The wealthier you are, the better health insurance you're likely to have. It's sad, but it's true.

This has been a really hot topic in our government lately.

Thanks for the informative response. That clears up some of the confusion for me, but yeah it is sad to think that people have do deal with that extra element of stress when trying to get treatment, and not just for acne issues.