Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sincerelywithlove

For Those Who've Cut Dairy Out of Their Diet

What do you eat/do to make up for what you're losing by consuming dairy (esp. calcium)? I would like to cut dairy out of my diet as I'm quite confident it's causing many of my breakouts. I usually have a large bowl of cereal every morning with a lot of [skim] milk and if I eat something cheesy for dinner (e.g. lasagna) I can expect a large red bump the next day.

I have a lot of trouble eating properly. I'm horrible for buying loads of candy and other empty calories. I've cut out pop and juice, which I found quite easy, but candies have been tough. I don't eat them too often, but when I do, I eat a lot of them. My trouble is consuming healthy foods and cutting out dairy is cutting a lot of what I eat.

I guess my concern is, if I cut the dairy and start eating a diet full of fruits and veggies, am I going to be lacking calcium or other nutrients?

There is no vital nutrient in dairy that you can't get somewhere else.

Green vegetables, bony fish like canned salmon and sardines, beans, and nuts all have calcium.

Edited by King Rat

King Rat has a solid reply...

The dairy industry wants you to believe that milk is a great source of calcium when in fact its not! Your better off eating tons of broccoli and other greens for your daily calcium supply.

Also look into non-gluten grains like quinoa, buckwheat and millet. That way you can have some form of cereal while eliminating the milk. There's also many different milk options like almond milk, I've never tried but heard its awesome.

PANIC

Calcium from any dairy product is infact detrimental to bone health and is not a good source of calcium, have a read of Cordains Paleo book for more info.

Yep - kelp, wakame and hijiki; nuts and seeds (like almonds and sesame); blackstrap molasses; beans; oranges; figs; quinoa; amaranth; collard greens; okra; rutabaga; broccoli; dandelion leaves; kale

That was from wikipedia.

For a milk substitute I like hemp milk, it's delicious! Vanilla unsweetened is the way to go.

There are many substitutes you can take such as soya and almond milk. If your finding cutting out dairy is hard then do it slowly. Dilute your milk with water when having cereal (it's not that bad). Try low fat cheese, e.g cottage cheese.

Like others have said milk no longer has many nutrients unless your having un-pasturised milk but that's another story.

Edited by universe

Yeah, milk doesn't really have any nutrients that can't be found elsewhere.

The only problem I encountered with cutting milk out is that it no longer allows me to eat pizza. It's incredible how much of my diet pizza used to compose.

Dairy products that come from cows are made for cows. Notice how baby cows end up weighing over a ton. Basically the protein in cow dairy is too much for a human and it actually causes our bodies to leech calcium from our bones to digest it. You probably lose more calcium from eating dairy so if anything you'll need less calcium without eating it.

milk is a great source of calcium and phosphourus. you could supplement these things i suppose.

you could also get calcium from beans and greens, like collards, kale, mustard.

i agree there is a strong relationship between dairy products and breakouts, but they are not the cause of acne, as then everyone who ate dairy would break out.

Dairy products that come from cows are made for cows.

LOL!! Do you know what caviar is? FISH EGGS. Do you think fish eggs are "made" for humans, or are they "made" for fish? If they're made for fish, why do you think so many wealthy humans consider caviar to be a delicacy? :)

The same could be said for every other food we eat, too (short of human breast milk). Apples grow on trees, and existed before humans ever evolved; so do you think apples are "made" for humans? How about carrots? Those things grow in the ground! Do you think they were "made" for humans? How about sardines, which swim around in the oceans of the world. Were they "made" for humans? Shall we go over every single food eaten by humans, other than human breast milk? Do you see what a ridiculous argument it is to say that cow milk isn't "made" for humans? We don't eat foods based on ludicrous arguments about what every food is designed for, or intended for, in some deep philosophical sense; we eat foods based on their nutritional content, taste, and the ease of obtaining them.

Notice how baby cows end up weighing over a ton.

ROTFLMAO!! Yeah, but baby cows drink a hell of a lot MORE milk than we do! Hey, an animal which grows even bigger than cows is the whale! Should Eskimos avoid eating whale blubber, because if they do, they'll grow as big as a whale, and develop an irresistable urge to start swimming around in the ocean? :D

Basically the protein in cow dairy is too much for a human and it actually causes our bodies to leech calcium from our bones to digest it. You probably lose more calcium from eating dairy so if anything you'll need less calcium without eating it.

LOL!! Yeah, right.

heya, ive found drinking oat milk has helped heaps. oats are also an anti inflammatory. they've added a lot of vitamins to it too. ive tried soy and rice milk but they add too much sugar. more sugar = more acne.

You can take calcium tablets, and they also have calcium-enriched orange juice. You just have to look for "added calcium" on the carton.

Unless you're avoiding citric acid, too... :ermm:

Dairy products that come from cows are made for cows.

LOL!! Do you know what caviar is? FISH EGGS. Do you think fish eggs are "made" for humans, or are they "made" for fish? If they're made for fish, why do you think so many wealthy humans consider caviar to be a delicacy? :)

The same could be said for every other food we eat, too (short of human breast milk). Apples grow on trees, and existed before humans ever evolved; so do you think apples are "made" for humans? How about carrots? Those things grow in the ground! Do you think they were "made" for humans? How about sardines, which swim around in the oceans of the world. Were they "made" for humans? Shall we go over every single food eaten by humans, other than human breast milk? Do you see what a ridiculous argument it is to say that cow milk isn't "made" for humans? We don't eat foods based on ludicrous arguments about what every food is designed for, or intended for, in some deep philosophical sense; we eat foods based on their nutritional content, taste, and the ease of obtaining them.

Humans are a creature of this earth. Therefore, we have grown and evolved around eating the natural sources of energy that the earth provides. Fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, and animal meat are all things that we were meant to eat and have been eating since the dawn of our kind. You're right when you say that the foods you listed were not made for humans. But, WE were essentially made for THEM. Our bodies are designed to digest, absorb, and utilize such things. That is not the case with milk.

Why do you think newborn animals stop drinking their mother's milk after a certain number of months? Because it is no longer a suitable or necessary source of nutrition. Cow milk is for baby cows just like human milk is for baby humans. That does not mean we can not get away with consuming things that are not necessarily "meant" for us (this is made obvious by the copious amounts of seemingly healthy people who enjoy dairy on a regular basis), but it is not ideal. It has nothing to do with philosophy.

Calcium from any dairy product is infact detrimental to bone health and is not a good source of calcium, have a read of Cordains Paleo book for more info.

everything i've seen about dairy and detriment to bone health is the result of EXCESS dairy consumption. That's a big distinction. Think what happens when someone has 1 glass of red wine versus 1 bottle. The glass has significant demonstrated health benefits. The bottle will get you liver damage and a host of other problems.

Humans are a creature of this earth. Therefore, we have grown and evolved around eating the natural sources of energy that the earth provides. Fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, and animal meat are all things that we were meant to eat and have been eating since the dawn of our kind. You're right when you say that the foods you listed were not made for humans. But, WE were essentially made for THEM. Our bodies are designed to digest, absorb, and utilize such things. That is not the case with milk.

And why, pray tell, isn't it the case with milk?

Why do you think newborn animals stop drinking their mother's milk after a certain number of months? Because it is no longer a suitable or necessary source of nutrition.

No, there's a much more prosaic reason than that, and you very well know it: it's no longer available to them. If it were still available to them, they'd be lapping it up with abandon! :dance:

Here's a little experiment you can try yourself: take an adult, fully-grown cat or dog, and put a saucer of cow's milk in front of it. Report back to all of us what happens! :angel:

Cow milk is for baby cows just like human milk is for baby humans. That does not mean we can not get away with consuming things that are not necessarily "meant" for us (this is made obvious by the copious amounts of seemingly healthy people who enjoy dairy on a regular basis), but it is not ideal.

Yes, and the same thing could be said about ANY food that we humans eat, other than human breast milk. But we eventually get to the point (after infancy) where we _must_ start eating other foods than human milk (trust me, nothing would please me more than to _continue_ drinking it...the idea of Jessica Alba's invaluable assistance in such a project comes immediately to mind).

It has nothing to do with philosophy.

In your case, I think it has EVERYTHING to do with philosophy. Why else would you make the ridiculous statement that newborn animals eventually stop drinking their mother's milk because they apparently know in some fundamental way that it's no longer "suitable" for them? :) :wall:

Here's a little experiment you can try yourself: take an adult, fully-grown cat or dog, and put a saucer of cow's milk in front of it. Report back to all of us what happens! :angel:

Most cats at least will actually have problems with this. They enjoy it, they will lap it down. However, they will struggle with it afterwards, without going into too much detail, their bowel movements will struggle. Most are lactose intolerant. I never give my cats milk, and know most people are the same, its bad for them is the understanding, however they do like it.

Most cats at least will actually have problems with this. They enjoy it, they will lap it down. However, they will struggle with it afterwards, without going into too much detail, their bowel movements will struggle. Most are lactose intolerant. I never give my cats milk, and know most people are the same, its bad for them is the understanding, however they do like it.

Exactly! Animals have the same problems with lactose intolerance that many humans do. However, that's a far cry from the silly claim a previous poster made, who seemed to be implying that animals have some kind of innate "natural wisdom", and know better than to drink milk after infancy! :lol:

If you give it to them, they sure as hell will drink it, even if they get sick afterwards! :rolleyes:

i agree there is a strong relationship between dairy products and breakouts, but they are not the cause of acne, as then everyone who ate dairy would break out.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that everyone who ate dairy would have acne if it was the cause. The cause of acne is not that simple. Some people can be lactose intolerant and not breakout if they drink milk. However some people may cease to breakout if they don't drink it at all.

First of all we are not "meant" to eat anything. There are just different levels we have adapted to different foods. Those who were able to use the available recources the most effectively survived.

The frequency of decreased lactase activity ranges from as little as 5% in northern Europe, up to 71% for Sicily, to more than 90% in some African and Asian countries

Clearly shows that different groups have very different tolerance to dairy. So at least some people are somewhat adapted fo dairy products. Far from perfectlly of course, but saying that our bodies are not meant to digest dairy at all is just wrong.

That study is useless, it doesnt specify anything about the rest of their diet, it also depends on the quality of the milk being consumed and the capabilities of the person drinking it.

You don't need as much calcium as people think. What you need are the nutrients your body needs to use it like D and magnesium and to not consume things that inhibit absorption or deplete it.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that everyone who ate dairy would have acne if it was the cause. The cause of acne is not that simple. Some people can be lactose intolerant and not breakout if they drink milk. However some people may cease to breakout if they don't drink it at all.

I agree... that would be like saying avocados cause me acne so it should cause everyone acne. The body is so complex.... everyone reacts differently to foods and toxins. It's all about genetics... I have a friend who has the clearest skin I have EVER seen and the nicest body and she eats CRAP ALLL DAYY.... candy, trans fatty foods, just JUNK... But I have a feeling... it's going to catch up with her one day with heart problems and disease.... it scares me :(.

No, there's a much more prosaic reason than that, and you very well know it: it's no longer available to them. If it were still available to them, they'd be lapping it up with abandon! :dance:

Take any cat or dog and put ANY food in front of it and report back to me what happens. Good thing cows don't lie around milking themselves so that dogs and cats can drink the milk every day.

Edited by CheyCheyenne

Yeah? Full-grown cats and dogs have also been known to gobble up their own fresh shit, among other things. What's your point?

Poor wording on my part. Glad you had fun with it. The milking stops either way, and it stops for a reason.

Edited by King Rat