Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Becster

Can I scale-back on the fish oil?

Hello all,

I've been takeing x3 capsules of fish oil three times a day now. However, I only just discovered that the package of this particular brand says to only take a maximum of three daily. Maybe the concentration of Omega-3 is higher?

Anyway, will I be risking a mass breakout if I were to reduce how much I take in?

scale way back, to none.

this stuff is not necessary read all of the existing science first, then you will never touch it.

for example it depresses natural killer cells, this is your best defense against cancer, im specifically refering to preformed epa and possibly dha. omega 3's are useful to the body when they are consumed from plants, fish oil isnt anything to get excited about, i believe its unhealthy.

i can see drinking a beer or wine over taking fish oil, one of the oldest documented people to ever live drank lots of wine, there also otehr stories of people drinking lots of beer as well living unusually long.

and krill oil?

the only reason i remember krill oil being better choice then fish oil is because it is way less likely to be contaminated, plus some beta carotenes are derived from krill, but thats only to memory of course, otherwise is has preformed epa and dha, so same advice applies.

scale way back, to none.

this stuff is not necessary read all of the existing science first, then you will never touch it.

for example it depresses natural killer cells, this is your best defense against cancer, im specifically refering to preformed epa and possibly dha. omega 3's are useful to the body when they are consumed from plants, fish oil isnt anything to get excited about, i believe its unhealthy.

i can see drinking a beer or wine over taking fish oil, one of the oldest documented people to ever live drank lots of wine, there also otehr stories of people drinking lots of beer as well living unusually long.

I have NEVER heard this before.

Please post studies confirming your statements as well as your reasons as to why omega 3s are "unhealthy"

scale way back, to none.

I have NEVER heard this before.

Please post studies confirming your statements as well as your reasons as to why omega 3s are "unhealthy"

Why i thought you'd never ask!

and again natural killer cells are your best defense against cancer, but you can look for info on that on your own im sure. There are many ways the bodys protects it self from cancer of course, but this is a very important one.

so let your body make its own epa and dha from plant derived polyunsatured acids, no need to take any fish oil, in fact, you can probably due away with the fish and be better for it as well, but generally speaking fish may not necessarily give you cancer or anything, but it may make you more susceptable.

2008 May 14. Links

Leukocyte numbers and function in subjects eating n-3 enriched foods: selective depression of natural killer cell levels

INTRODUCTION: While consumption of omega-3 long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids (n-3 LCPUFA) has been recommended for those at risk of inflammatory disease such as rheumatoid arthritis, the mechanism of their anti-inflammatory effect remains to be clearly defined, particularly in relation to the dose and type of n-3 LCPUFA. The objective of this study was to determine whether varying the levels of n-3 LCPUFA in erythrocyte membrane lipids, following dietary supplementation, is associated with altered numbers and function of circulating leukocytes conducive to protection against inflammation. METHODS: In a double-blind and placebo-controlled study, 44 healthy subjects aged 23 to 63 years consumed either standard or n-3 LCPUFA-enriched versions of typical processed foods, the latter allowing a target daily consumption of 1 gram n-3 LCPUFA. After six months, peripheral blood leukocyte and subpopulation proportions and numbers were assessed by flow cytometry. Leukocytes were also examined for lymphoproliferation and cytokine production, neutrophil chemotaxis, chemokinesis, bactericidal, adherence and iodination activity. Erythrocytes were analyzed for fatty-acid content. RESULTS: Erythrocyte n-3 LCPUFA levels were higher and absolute leukocyte and lymphocyte numbers were lower in subjects consuming n-3 enriched foods than in controls. There were no changes in the number of neutrophils, monocytes, T cells (CD3+), T-cell subsets (CD4+, CD8+) and B cells (CD19+). However, natural killer (NK) (CD3-CD16+CD56+) cell numbers were lower in n-3 supplemented subjects than in controls and were inversely related to the amount of eicosapentaenoic acid or docosahexaenoic acid in erythrocytes. No significant correlations were found with respect to lymphocyte lymphoproliferation and production of IFN-gamma and IL-2, but lymphotoxin production was higher with greater n-3 LCPUFA membrane content. Similarly, neutrophil chemotaxis, chemokinesis, bactericidal activity and adherence did not vary with changes in erythrocyte n-3 LCPUFA levels, but the iodination reaction was reduced with higher n-3 LCPUFA content. CONCLUSION: The data show that regular long-term consumption of n-3 enriched foods leads to lower numbers of NK cells and neutrophil iodination activity but higher lymphotoxin production by lymphocytes. These changes are consistent with decreased inflammatory reaction and tissue damage seen in patients with inflammatory disorders receiving n-3 LCPUFA supplementation.

Edited by AutonomousOne1980

Blargh. This is the thing about dietary supplements.. everyone's so sure they're life saving one decade, and the next decade they're the plague.

Examples:

margarine - transfats

unfermented soy - isoflavones and thyroid depression

whole grains - phytates

and lots of others.

:wall:

What's a consumer attempting to be informed supposed to do?

I wanna give up and go with Michael Pollans rules: Eat real food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Blargh. This is the thing about dietary supplements.. everyone's so sure they're life saving one decade, and the next decade they're the plague.

Examples:

margarine - transfats

unfermented soy - isoflavones and thyroid depression

whole grains - phytates

and lots of others.

:wall:

What's a consumer attempting to be informed supposed to do?

I wanna give up and go with Michael Pollans rules: Eat real food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

thats pretty much the direction i have gone in.

No meat dairy or eggs-because no fiber+excess hormones.

beans, grains, nuts, fruits, herbs, spices. ANd possibly some supplements, mercola multiple i find to be possibly the best because it uses albion chelates. vitamin d in the winter possibly.

of course excercise.

then, emotional well being= acne journey DONE.

the biggest barrier to health is the mineral content of foods and current farming techniques, organic is the way to go.

another possibility is that we may really benefit from certain bacteria in the digestive tract, the study of probiotics and gut flora will yeild very interesting discoveries over then the decades.

I almost have come to the idea that eating feces of another human being, may have some health benefits!!! radical idea, but not entirely new.

The lessons here is that even science and its methods arent perfect, there are absolutely limits to our ability to understand things fully, we must not be dogmatic to the methods and products of science, its just a another tool, but damn near one of the best we have.

I actually saw for the first time a commercial by SCHIFF vitamins on televisions advertising their krill oil pills, i do not recall vitamin manufacters spending big bucks on advertising campaigns, but this fish oil craze is so getting out of hand.

Edited by AutonomousOne1980

Didnt they look at the omega 6 fatty acid intake at all? If we assume that a balance between the acids is the way to go. They might have gotten the inbalance at the other side. However I dont really think this because they would have to eat a pretty extreme diet if they ate less then 2g of omega 6