Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've had acne since I was 14, I'm now 21. I always got a lot of whiteheads and pastules on me upper cheeks and on my forehead. They would all leave behind deep, dark brown marks and some would causes scarring indentation. My mom has absolutely flawless skin and my dad has a lot of marks and scarring left over from acne when he was a teen. I knew it was genetic but I always fought the problem topically. I've tried DKR, Proactiv, Murad, sallicyllic acid, AHA, Azelaic acid, BP, aloe vera; I have literally tried just about everything. While I used Dan's regimen, I did see very positive results and my acne did clear up after about two months, but it just took a painstakingly long time to perform the routine. I had to avoid the sun because of the BP and AHA, which was a real negative for me. I have brown skin and when I'm out in the sun for too long, I turn as dark as a crisp and it made my acne look much much worse. So after years and years of this routine, I realized acne's major culprit is internal. Everyone knows what causes acne; bacteria, overacting oil glands, blockage, but why do these things happen? I discovered hormones are a huge part in where and how often acne occurs. Excess amounts of testerone in the body can get converted by an enzyme to a different form of testerone called DHT. Excess levels of DHT leads to an overproduction of sebum from the oil glands. Shutting this system off would lead to calm matte looking skin and help reduce acne by stopping it at its source. Saw palmetto is an inhibitor of the enzyme which converts testosterone to DHT. Taking saw palmetto will also help males for baldness as DHT is a large factor in hair loss for men.

After about 3 weeks of taking a pure saw palmetto extract (GNC brand), using Cerave cleanser, Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Toner, and Proactiv BP lotion, my skin became 90% clear. I used the toner for the Niacinamide which helps reduce hyperpigmentation and because it contains no BHA's or AHA's making it sun friendly. I liked the lotion because it always made my skin look matte. If I ever go outdoors, I use Neutrogena SPF 55 with Helioplex. My biggest concern then became the dark marks and scarring left over. After some research on these boards, I came across emu oil. I apply it overnight if I'm not going anywhere because it is very oily and appears that way on your skin. No matter how long I tried to rub it in, it was always just sit as a layer on my face. This greatly reduced the hyperpigmentation in about 3 weeks and it is also helping with the scarring. Some of the indentations are starting to fill in and the redness of any rare acne which appears is quickly diminished by a few nights. There are some concerns that the oleic acid in emu oil may be comedogenic, but I decided to give it a go anyway.

I also take oral omega-3 fish oil tablets, a multivitamin (Nutralite Men's Energy with probiotics) along with the saw palmetto. I also want to add that I take this in the recommended doses. Taking an excess amount of pills will likely do no more good and will most likely cause harm. There is a reason there are recommended doses: time, money, resources have been put in to make sure what they are saying is safe. For example, taking excess omega-3 can lead to liver ulcers. Please make sure you are AT LEAST 19 before you try this because messing up your DHT levels during puberty can lead to some very unpleasant things. I haven't experienced any negative side effects yet but some have reported to lose their sex drive. Also, I don't think this would work for women as women really only have an uptake of DHT in their system before their period, which is why women tend to have more breakouts during that time of the month. In about 2 months my skin texture, brightness, glow and just overall quality have increased dramatically. I would say that I'm about 1 month away from completely flawless skin and I don't think I have ever felt a betting feeling in the world. =)

So how much (mg) of Saw Palmetto are you taking? I'm gonna buy this - I keep hearing rave reviews about it. And I know my acne is hormonal.

Edited by Alex_09

Ok so I bought a bottle. Its says "saw palmetto (fruit/berry) - 450 mg. is this fine? I saw some other bottles say "saw palmetto extract". I just got the one I got because it was cheaper than the other ones and I didnt have enough money on me at the time. Is there a difference between the whole herb and the extract?

Edited by Alex_09

This sounds very promising, but i was wondering what are the side affects for someone under 19? I mean I'm not 14, but i was wondering since us teenagers already have excess levels of test., would using a DHT inhibitor really mess with our systems. Cause well my acne is hormonal, and i have tried everything as you have, and was just wondering if this could potentially work for me?