Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jason12676

Jason's Accutane/Claravis Log

Hi all!!

I figured since I started this yesterday and am totally terrified of the side effects I would start a journal/log and hopefully get some words of advice or encouragement along the way.

I am 33yrs old and never had an issue with breakouts until about 4-5yrs ago.

I was recommended to try accutane 3yrs ago by 2 different derms but after reading about the side effects I was reluctant.

Needless to say I have tried everything under the sun from the derm as well as some VERY unorthodox methods to rid myself of the breakouts to no avail.

I finally decided to surrender to the accutane and give it a go.

I took my 1st pill yesterday (20mg once per day) felt dizzy and couldn't sleep with a bit of a headache. I think this was mostly from the anxiety and sheer terror of being on this medication.

Any questions or comments are welcome :)

Edited by Jason12676

hey just wanted to say best of luck with your course.there's a lot of poeple here that just started accutane.im just past the two week mark & the side affects our not that bad.

with your headache be sure to take your pill with food our plenty of water hope this helps

good luck

Edited by onelittleone

Good luck! I also turned down Accutane before deciding to take it. It's totally changed my life. I hope it does the same for you.

Thank you both!!!

I drink a lot of water - prob more than 99% of people haha

Hopefully the headache and dizziness fade soon and I am also feeling a bit lethargic.

Face is a lil flush as well.

Again this may be my nerves haha

Went to the gym this morning and barley made it through a mild workout.

I am going to start taking the meds about an hr before bed.

I still need to get the labs done...oh the joys!!

Hey. I just started Claravis a few days ago too!

Hopefully the side effects aren't as bad as we think they'll be.

Good luck!

Thanks - all the best to you as well!!!

Our dosages are similar...Def keep in touch :)

Day 2

Had a bit of a headache earlier but took a few Advil and it calmed down until I just took the 2nd pill.

I think a lot of the current side effects are brought about by my own anxiety. ugrhh

On a side note - I am a member of another board where the primary focus is HRT (hormone replacement therapy)

I posted there about starting accutane and all was well until I just read a recent reply.

Here is what the reply was to me:

" Accutane is one of the most harshest drugs on liver and combined with TRT is a ticking time bomb waiting to go off. It works on the same pathways as propecia and finasteride does. So if you want to mess your self up even more then be my guest. I have a few patient messed up on accutane and it makes working with them more of a challenge because you are dealin with altered liver pathwyas affecting hormone metaboilism mainlt estrogens "

This reply has just sent my headache into overdrive...urghhh..

I know this prob isn't the best place to ask but I am curious if anyone is currently on any type of HRT in conjunction with accutane.

I spoke with a pharmacist and my dermatologist and they said it wasn't an issue.

Hey,

I don't know anything about HRT - sorry. But what I DO know is that I've been off of Accutane for over 2 months and I'm sooo happy I decided to start treatment. It's ridiculous how much my skin improved. I never thought I would have skin like this.

I hope it all works out for you!

Day 3

Well last night was hellish - I woke up in the middle of the night sweating like no ones business with an overwhelming sense of anxiety. It was like my heart was racing!!

When I finally went back to sleep I woke exhausted and am kind of dizzy/out of it today.

I emailed the derm to see if this is normal.

Urghhh so far this sucks!!

Just got an email back from the Derm to stop the meds for the next week.

This sucks!! not sure what I will do now.

A nice waste of $400 :)

Quick question before I throw in the towel as accutane is truly my last hope as I see it.

Have any of you experienced anything similar - Anxiety, sweating, fast heart rate, headache, insomnia?

It may be very possible I brought this about through my own mind, reading to much into the bad press if you will on side effects etc.

I should also mention that I took a shot of NyQuill to get to sleep last night - I prob should have mentioned that to the Derm but I was in a bit of a haze..

Edited by Jason12676

The first week I was extremely anxious as well.

I was throwing up and very dizzy and my parents were quick to say it was the Accutane. I decided to stick with it and the second week I was fine. Since then I have had none of the same symptoms. I figured I just had the flu or my body just had to get used to a new medication.

Nevertheless if your derm is telling you to stop, perhaps you should. Just thought I would share my experience and to let you know not to lose hope!

Good luck!

The first week I was extremely anxious as well.

I was throwing up and very dizzy and my parents were quick to say it was the Accutane. I decided to stick with it and the second week I was fine. Since then I have had none of the same symptoms. I figured I just had the flu or my body just had to get used to a new medication.

Nevertheless if your derm is telling you to stop, perhaps you should. Just thought I would share my experience and to let you know not to lose hope!

Good luck!

Thank you so much for sharing your expierence!!! :)

I had my GP order a battery of blood work exams and also completed the labs for the derm this morning.

I called the derm this morning and advised I got the lab work done and wanted to give it another go.

If he gives me the green light I will just make sure my will is current haha :)

Just got off the phone with the Derm - he said if I am feeling ok to go ahead and start back up.

If I can only stear clear of the bad press and negitive comments I may have a chance not to mind screw myself into a frenzy.

Thinking happy thoughts here!! haha

Just got off the phone with the Derm - he said if I am feeling ok to go ahead and start back up.

If I can only stear clear of the bad press and negitive comments I may have a chance not to mind screw myself into a frenzy.

Thinking happy thoughts here!! haha

Cool...Hope everything goes well for you & best of luck

After my initial anxiety all is well. It's amazing how much my mind can send my body into a frenzy...

I went back on and have had no other real side effects other that feeling a bit nauseous and a slight headache. Nothing unbearable at all.

Let the clearing begin!!! :dance:

Hey,

I don't know anything about HRT - sorry. But what I DO know is that I've been off of Accutane for over 2 months and I'm sooo happy I decided to start treatment. It's ridiculous how much my skin improved. I never thought I would have skin like this.

I hope it all works out for you!

Hi, I read your story and I think its great that Claravis worked out for you :) I just started on it myself 3 weeks ago, 30mg twice a day. So far just real dry lips and a few pimples on my chin :( but otherwise nothing major. I'm hoping this works for me also, so we will see :)

Well, the good news is that my plethora of blood work I had done all came back favorable.

The bad news is I think my skin, primarily my forehead looks like a papa johns pizza. I can say without reservation it has never looked so bad.

I have this huge bump above my eyebrow that hurts like hell. I am in debate on weather to stick it with a syringe and see if it will drain!!

I think some of you refer to this as the initial breakout...any idea of how long it will last? It appears as though its only affecting my major problem areas...

I have become a hermit and feel like Quasimodo saying look away, I'm hideous!!

Made it to Day 30

Went to the derm today and spent about 5 min with him...

He is upping my dose to 40mg/day

The initial break out was horrible but quickly passed, currently I am fairly clear & crossing my fingers it wont happen when I start taking the 40mg.

As far as side effects:

I have had slightly dry lips but nothing terrible as I apply carmex and aquphor on a reg basis.

Nose is peeling a bit but again not unmanageable.

Oh the dreams I have been experiencing, craziness!!

I must say the constant headaches & being light headed is annoying.

Anyone have anything to battle the headaches? I have just been taking ibuprofen but as much of an oxymoron as it is...I don't like popping pills haha

I have been drinking about 2 gallons of water/day(not a typo) it may be closer to 3..but this is not abnormal for me.

Only 3 more months of this joyous cornucopia of misery!!

Hi! I'm glad you decided to go ahead with the Accutane. Try not to discourage yourself or worry hard about side effects. The only ones I've had are dryness/the occasional back pains. Of course, everyone is different but I think it's worth it. For me, anyway. I have severe acne!

Good luck with your treatment, I'll be stopping by again to see how you are. :)

Made it to Day 30

Went to the derm today and spent about 5 min with him...

He is upping my dose to 40mg/day

The initial break out was horrible but quickly passed, currently I am fairly clear & crossing my fingers it wont happen when I start taking the 40mg.

As far as side effects:

I have had slightly dry lips but nothing terrible as I apply carmex and aquphor on a reg basis.

Nose is peeling a bit but again not unmanageable.

Oh the dreams I have been experiencing, craziness!!

I must say the constant headaches & being light headed is annoying.

Anyone have anything to battle the headaches? I have just been taking ibuprofen but as much of an oxymoron as it is...I don't like popping pills haha

I have been drinking about 2 gallons of water/day(not a typo) it may be closer to 3..but this is not abnormal for me.

Only 3 more months of this joyous cornucopia of misery!!

The dreams? Oh, I get you on that one. I'v had some of the trippiest dreams ever since starting Accutane. I can't decide if I like them or not. Sure, they're entertaining, but they always seem to wake me up because they're so vivid.

Good luck with your course! I know it's discouraging at times, but just think: in a couple of months your skin will be well on it's way to being awesome!

Keep in touch!

Amy

Here I am at day 30 something or other...losing count and have decided to take it month to month 2 more to go after this one!!

Has anyone got any ideas for the headaches & being lethargic?

The newest addition to the side effects is becoming easily frustrated and cranky. No real depression to speak of just aggravation. So out of character for me....Oh and I am turning a nice shade of red..grrr

The only supps I am on is Zinc @ 50mg/day.

2nd Month down - only 1 more to go after this one!!

Anyone else get the 5min in and out visit at the derm?

How about the cost of this stuff

$80 for the derm visit

$488 for Claravis 40mg 2x/day for 30days

$30 for lab work

nearly $600/month - But I have finally hit the deductible on my insurance and now will pay only 20% of that going fwd.

At any rate - I haven't seen all that much improvement but after reading through the posts on here the 3rd month is supposed to be the defining moment of clarity. I HOPE SO!!

The only side effects I have been experiencing are dry lips, more irritable, and lethargy.

Maybe since he doubled my does for this month I will see more...

1st month was 20mg 1x/day

2nd month was 40mg 1x/day

Now will be 40mg 2x/day = 80mg/day

I see a lot of others who weigh much less than I do taking a higher does...go figure..Im 6ft 210ish

Come on with the clear skin already!!!!

Hey--

Just a quick note to wish you well and tell you not to give up or get discouraged. I am 32 and this is my second time around on accutane. I didn't start breaking out until I was in my early 20s and in law school (talk about embarassing!!!) I went on a first round of name brand Roche Accutane and it worked wonders. I was on 80 mg/day for about 22 weeks and I cleared up after the first month or six weeks. Anyway, that treatment of Accutane kept me clear for about 8 years.

I started breaking out again early this summer and realized that it was probably going to require a second round of treatment. A lot had changed since the last time I was on Accutane and I found it was more difficult to get a dermatologist to prescribe it. I finally started Claravis in early July after learning that Roche no longer makes brand Accutane. It has been almost 7 weeks and I am only beginning to see some clearing. For the first few weeks, I had a bad initial breakout and going to work everyday was a miserable experience. My derm said this was perfectly normal. She said that as you get older, your body reacts differently to the Accutane. I notice that my skin is far more dry during this course of treatment and Aquaphor has been a God-send.

I am hoping that this course of treatment produces results similar to the last. I'm also sorry to hear how much the Claravis is costing you! That is insane. At least you have hit your deductable and the insurance will start kicking in.

Alright, take care and best of luck!

Jay

Hey--

Just a quick note to wish you well and tell you not to give up or get discouraged. I am 32 and this is my second time around on accutane. I didn't start breaking out until I was in my early 20s and in law school (talk about embarassing!!!) I went on a first round of name brand Roche Accutane and it worked wonders. I was on 80 mg/day for about 22 weeks and I cleared up after the first month or six weeks. Anyway, that treatment of Accutane kept me clear for about 8 years.

I started breaking out again early this summer and realized that it was probably going to require a second round of treatment. A lot had changed since the last time I was on Accutane and I found it was more difficult to get a dermatologist to prescribe it. I finally started Claravis in early July after learning that Roche no longer makes brand Accutane. It has been almost 7 weeks and I am only beginning to see some clearing. For the first few weeks, I had a bad initial breakout and going to work everyday was a miserable experience. My derm said this was perfectly normal. She said that as you get older, your body reacts differently to the Accutane. I notice that my skin is far more dry during this course of treatment and Aquaphor has been a God-send.

I am hoping that this course of treatment produces results similar to the last. I'm also sorry to hear how much the Claravis is costing you! That is insane. At least you have hit your deductable and the insurance will start kicking in.

Alright, take care and best of luck!

Jay

Hey Jay!! Thanks for the words of encouragement :)

I never had issues with any sort of break outs until I was in my late 20's. My break outs are not acne per say but some sort of folliculitis and due to the abundance of failed attempts with a plethora of antibiotics I developed pityrosporum folliculitis as an added bonus.

Funny thing is that when I started eating clean, working out and even quit drinking it all started..

I would pay double if this works - thus far I have my doubts but will stay the course with hope that it does.

All the best,

Jason