Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rocket2010

spior is a corticosteroid??

I looked up Sprio and its listed as a synthetic corticosteroid - one of the main side effects of corticosteroids is acne.

WTF my doc said it wont increase acne. Why do some studies only note improvement in 33% of participants?

Spironolactone (Spiro) is not a corticosteroid. It is a potassium sparing diuretic. It also has anti-androgenic effects.

Thanks for the reply, here is why I ask:

Definition of Spironolactone

1. Noun. A synthetic corticosteroid (trade name Aldactone) used to treat hypertension

Spiro is listed as a steroid/corticosteroid when looking up the definition, I always thought

that caused increases in acne. Im trying to get information on the difference between Accutane and Sprio as they both are shown to reduce sebum production.

When I was on Accutane it thinned out my hair and reduced oil, the same side effects

as Sprio.

Thanks for the reply, here is why I ask:

Definition of Spironolactone

1. Noun. A synthetic corticosteroid (trade name Aldactone) used to treat hypertension

Spiro is listed as a steroid/corticosteroid when looking up the definition, I always thought

that caused increases in acne. Im trying to get information on the difference between Accutane and Sprio as they both are shown to reduce sebum production.

When I was on Accutane it thinned out my hair and reduced oil, the same side effects

as Sprio.

Where did you find that definition? Link?

a synthetic corticosteroid (trade name Aldactone) used to treat hypertension

wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spironolactone

It is a synthetic 17-lactone...I think Lactone is a steroid..

Pharmacokinetics

Spironolactone is a synthetic steroid that acts as a competitive antagonist to aldosterone. Its onset and duration of action are determined by the kinetics of the aldosterone response in the target tissue. Substantial inactivation of spironolactone occurs in the liver and hepatitis or cirrhosis can lead to secondary aldosteronism, which is one indication for treatment. Overall, spironolactone has a rather slow onset of action, requiring several days before full therapeutic effect is achieved.

sure enough it's listed as a synthetic steroid.

Edited by rocket2010

a synthetic corticosteroid (trade name Aldactone) used to treat hypertension

wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

It is a synthetic 17-lactone...I think Lactone is a steroid..

Now that's interesting; it hasn't the side effects associated with a corticosteroid. Of course it has its own, but not those associated with a steroid.

I'm going to do some more research on this, I would like to know what the diff is between this, a steroid and what Accutane does. I think Accutane and Sprio have similar side effects on hair and oil production but Accutane is not a steroid.

I don't think you can go by wikipedia. Anyone can write them. None of my drug reference books list it as a steroid. In fact, I believe they say it's a non-steroid.

Either way, it doesn't cause acne.

Edited by Anti - Em

Yea it looks the Wikepedia link you attached has changed I dont see cortesteriod or steroid or whatever was there, anymore. You cannot go by it Anti-em is right, And like she said either way it doesn't cause Acne. I think a LOT of us are living proof!! Best of luck on your search tho keep us updated!