Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
singingfool

Which probiotics help acne?

I know there is yogurt, buttermilk, miso, and kefir.

I'd also like to know what works for people...

Edited by singingfool

Lactobacillus species might be of use. They're already part of the intestinal flora but the bad diets and antibiotic usage of so many people tends to destroy the helpful lactobacillus (and others, too, of course).

I know there are some supplements people take but I don't know what they're called...

Just gave you the name of one. Lactobacillus species.

Does your body build an immunity to probiotics?

I think I'm going to use an Acidophilus supplement.

Edited by singingfool

I doubt they will have a direct effect on your acne, some people find it doesn't even help with the digestion, so how could it's benefits work its way to the very pores of our skin?

Probiotic yoghurts are quite expensive as well they recommend you eat/drink 2-3 a day on going :( All the best though

Gosh why not just take them for your health? They will help keep your digestive system healthy which is very important and when your body is healthy it might help with your acne. I would buy culturelle because it's pretty decent but that's just my opinion. I a lot of probiotics are all dead by the time you swallow the pill so make sure to buy a decent brand and refridgerate after opening. Probiotic yogurts aren't worth it especially if it's activia or yoplait yo plus because they all have a ton of added sugar. If you want to have your probiotics in yogurt, you might as well culture your own milk. Heck, you can culture anything if you want to go dairy-free. Coconut milk, almond milk, hemp milk, soy milk, rice milk, etc.

The small print always gets me it says (as part of a healthy/varied diet). Isn't the whole point of taking these things is to correct that problem?

Yeah I know. It's more junk food with a plastic gold star that says "buy me I'm low in calories!!!". The worst yogurt as of lately is probably yoplait delights as of the way they advertise them "omg 100 calories in that little cup!?!?!?!". You forgot to list the two teaspoons of sugar and ALSO the artificial sweeteners. cool

I doubt they will have a direct effect on your acne, some people find it doesn't even help with the digestion, so how could it's benefits work its way to the very pores of our skin?

Probiotic yoghurts are quite expensive as well they recommend you eat/drink 2-3 a day on going :( All the best though

Actually there is scientific research showing that people with acne have altered microflora (more unfriendly bacteria and less friendly bacteria). There are also quite a few studies which show that acne sufferers show improvement with a probiotic supplement.

That being said, many probiotic supplements aren't very high quality and probably don't contain the quantity of bacteria listed on their bottles.

Actually there is scientific research showing that people with acne have altered microflora (more unfriendly bacteria and less friendly bacteria). There are also quite a few studies which show that acne sufferers show improvement with a probiotic supplement.

That being said, many probiotic supplements aren't very high quality and probably don't contain the quantity of bacteria listed on their bottles.

I use a probiotic from NOW. Its a a 4x6 probiotic, meaning 6 strands totaling 4 Billion bacteria. I bought my from a health shoppe that i grabbed from their refrigerator section so i am thinking that this is the best kind to get since most will be live, rather than others that set on room temperture shelves.

The studies would need to be convincing, as I am still skeptical that it would help, I'll have a look though.

There are a BUNCH of different strains of bacteria that are sold as probiotics... they are all part of a healthy system, but in varying amounts. I have a greens supplement that contains probiotics - Its called Green Vibrance. I take this maybe twice a week now. I buy the 30 day supply, but it lasts forever since I don't take it every day. I also have femdophilus made by jarrow, which contains 2 strains of bacteria important for female health (helps get rid of and prevent yeast infections! yay!) When I buy yogurts I always buy cultured (probiotic-containg) ones. I guess my point is, that there are a bunch of different strains of probiotics. You might want to do some research on the various types. I personally get a variety of strains since I take probiotics in all those different forms. It did wonders for my achey stomach..

Some more helpful info on probiotics, I've done a lot of research on them.

Store bought yogurt is NOT a good source to replenish good bacteria in the gut; almost all store bought yogurt is heated which kills the good bacteria. They can talk about all the live bacteria all they want, but its dead by the time it gets to the store.

Probiotic supplements can help in cases of dysbiosis, but probiotics DO NOT implant new bacteria in the gut. Meaning once you stop taking them, their effect is lost. Obviously if you take them for the rest of you life then you have a solution and if you notice it helps your acne then I say why not.

Best form of probiotics in my opinion is cultured veggies; kim-chi, sauekraut, cabbage rejuvelac.

Best bet is to combine a good probiotic from cultured veggies, with a strong anti-inflammatory diet, supplements and exercise to build up the immune system.

PANIC

Ive tried probiotics a couple of times (cant remember which one but it is fairly common) and everytime I go on it, it leaves me feeling sick throughout the entire day, I think the longest I was on it for was about 2 weeks, but the sickness didnt get any better so I stopped using em.

Im taking Glutamine nowadays, do you guys reckon that will be enough to help out the digestive system a little?