Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fraz_2010

How can you tell how bad they are?

Is it even possible for you to ever tell just how deep/shallow your scars are?

I mean... you look in some mirrors and you have no scars what so ever, and you look in other mirrors and see big massive deep holes, then you look in other mirrors that show them, but they arent deep or invisible, but somewhere inbetween...

I was just messing around with a video camera (800,000 pixels) not the best quality, but decent enough....

Anyway... I couldn't believe how quickly my skin changed when I stepped in and out of different lighting.

In brightly lit rooms with lights coming from all angles (kind of like a studio) I had no scars at all, and my skin actually looked fantastic (not just good, but just about flawless) (warm and soft looking)

In dimly lit rooms with just 1 white/fluorescent light coming from an angle, my skin was like "wow.... wtf, i look like s**t!"(Red, blotchy, wrinkly looking) (Every possible fault exposed) (The clear patches of my skin were so god damn pale).

I'm maybe losing my mind about all this lighting and how it can have such a huge impact on how you appear to yourself, but if lighting has such a big effect on your physical appearence, then how do we not notice other people changing under different lighting? We don't even notice them looking better or worse when they walk into different rooms with different lighting.

Do acne scars really curse us and make us look bad to other people in different places.... or are we all a bunch of prima-donnas? :lol:

Sometimes I wonder if physical appearance is nothing more than an optical ollusion emitted by light....

theres no way of ever getting a measurement on that kind of thing, lighting is everything, depending where its coming from and where your scars are.

Link 1

Link 2

as examples, yeah these are pretty old now but, one of my major scars on my left cheek, easily visible in the first link with lighting from the side, and in the second picture its hardly there at all, when in fact it still is, just the lighting is coming from a different angle.

Edited by o_Adam_o

I know what you mean about different lightings and such. I always say, "I wish I could have the lighting I look best in over my head at all times." haha

But about "not noticing other people changing under different lighting" isn't true - for me at least. Like I go shopping with my mom to all kinds of different places all the time. Being 52, she has some fine lines and a couple of wrinkles here and there. In certain lights they look horrible than they really are, and in other lights she looks way younger than she really is.

I know what you mean about different lightings and such. I always say, "I wish I could have the lighting I look best in over my head at all times." haha

But about "not noticing other people changing under different lighting" isn't true - for me at least. Like I go shopping with my mom to all kinds of different places all the time. Being 52, she has some fine lines and a couple of wrinkles here and there. In certain lights they look horrible than they really are, and in other lights she looks way younger than she really is.

Do you think you would notice these changes on other people if you never had acne scarring?

Before I had any scarring, I don't think I ever took notice to this sort of thing.

theres no way of ever getting a measurement on that kind of thing, lighting is everything, depending where its coming from and where your scars are.

Link 1

Link 2

as examples, yeah these are pretty old now but, one of my major scars on my left cheek, easily visible in the first link with lighting from the side, and in the second picture its hardly there at all, when in fact it still is, just the lighting is coming from a different angle.

Hey Adam, you're looking good mate and I reckon that scar is probably fairly shallow, but because of the length of the scar it makes it appear far worse in certain light than it really is.

I notice a huge change based on lighting.

Scars - http://i48.tinypic.com/2h2gol0.jpg

No scars - http://i45.tinypic.com/23w9v0n.jpg

My face also appears red in some lighting and normal in others.

fraz I don't think your scarring is that bad honestly. I think in the worse lighting you can see it but it is not that bad. Just my opnion though.

fraz I don't think your scarring is that bad honestly. I think in the worse lighting you can see it but it is not that bad. Just my opnion though.

Thanks.

I understand that compared to some others on here, my scarring isn't something I should really be moaning about.

Its just that when it comes to anybody with any level of acne scarring, seeing yourself in the wrong lighting can really hit you hard.

My scarrings almost invisible in the right lighting and angles. But its "sooo" noticable in the wrong lighting and angles".

I just don't know how others view me =/

Thanks.

I understand that compared to some others on here, my scarring isn't something I should really be moaning about.

Its just that when it comes to anybody with any level of acne scarring, seeing yourself in the wrong lighting can really hit you hard.

My scarrings almost invisible in the right lighting and angles. But its "sooo" noticable in the wrong lighting and angles".

I know what you mean in my bedroom lighting my skin looks fine but in the bathroom lighting well lets just say I've cried many times. I wonder if others see me like the bathroom lighting or bedroom lighting? :/

Thanks.

I know what you mean in my bedroom lighting my skin looks fine but in the bathroom lighting well lets just say I've cried many times. I wonder if others see me like the bathroom lighting or bedroom lighting? :/

Hehe yeah...

If you have cheap fluorescent lighting in your bathroom, change it to the lovely yellow builbs that fill your face with colour.

I think fluorescent lighting is so nasty because as well as showing scars, it sucks the life right out of your skin! :shock:

Hi,

Your post brings up some interesting points about how other people view you....

If you view yourself as inferior or unattractive then that rubs off on other people and thats how they will view you.

However,

If you view yourself as confident and powerful then that rubs off on people, no matter what you look like.

I thought it was only just me that thought about this stuff.

Some mirrors, and some lighting I can actually look at myself in a mirror and think that "it's actually not bad". However, in other different lighting (like fluorescent already mentioned) I can see and it get's me truly depressed. I want to know how people view me too...in "fluorescent" lighting where you can see everything..or in a way where it's hardly visible.

guys is simple .if you look like crap in a certain lighting than thats how you look.if you look nice in onther than thats how you look.now was that really hard to firgure out?

I think its more the fact that as people with acne scars we are more paranoid and what not of how we look in different lighting. To be honest up until a couple of months ago when I developed some bad scars of my own I had never noticed scars on anyone else. It was just not something I picked up on or noticed, or even cared about, but now after having scars of my own and being hypersensitive about them I can see acne scars on a ton of people, I'm sure because I am looking for it on other people now to see that I'm not alone.