Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey guys,

I've been delaying going to the dermatologist for quite a while until I became completely depressed upon seeing my face in a Target mirror ;) I went on Accutane about 2 years ago and it completely cleared me but left me with a ton of red marks. I also believe I have some "broken/dilated" blood vessels on both sides of my cheeks that will not fade in the least. I have tried every cream known to man, but to no avail. My acne has also come back, but I believe mildly/maybe moderately. Anyways, I scheduled an appointment with my dermatologist and emailed him discussing the option of IPL laser treatment. From what I heard, this is my best bet. Even if my acne stays, I will be extremely happy without my redness. Without the redness, I can deal with it. Easily.

Anyways, I was wondering what any of you guys thought about this. Any past IPL users with a similar situation?

Also, I have quite a few "undeveloped" pimples (they just look like little bumps, though definitely aren't whiteheads). I'm curious on what these ACTUALLY are. It seems that if they all developed into actual pimples, I'd have severe acne. Fortunately, I don't touch my skin anymore. For the few of these bumps that I have messed around with, they have developed into pimples. I also ice these "undeveloped" pimples consistently because I believe they keep them at bay.

i'm booked into the derm next wednesday for possible IPL... anyone got any advice?

i also have those white bumps i think they are called closed comedones. things like Alpha Hydroxy Acids are meant to help clear them up..

can get products with AHA from chemist but i use egg white and lemon juice masks. (careful not too much lemon or you'll irritate your skin) you'll likely battle with this problem even when your acne is clearing.. they also have lavender and rosehip oil masks and tea tree oil ones.. you can get recipes online to make your own or but from a distributor. i did buy one from a place in sydney (i live in australia) from a place called pure botanicals, they do have an online store i believe. the point is though, that this form of acne, the closed comedones tends to persist even when you hit it with really harsh stuff (benzo etc.) and i've found that using natural products respects the Ph of your skin and you'll notice that these can clear and cease to come back...

swimming in the ocean or salt water is amazing for this, if you live near a lake or an ocean..

oh good to hear i've been somewhat panicking after reading some preeettty awful stories there was one girl who now has rectangular burns on her face. like stripes an inch wide!! SCARY

but then other people are all like yeh its great..

i have sensitive skin, its uneven and i'm pale... if lasers were an option i think i'd give it a go... but i'm really scared after what i've seen.

can you share your experience?

oh good to hear i've been somewhat panicking after reading some preeettty awful stories there was one girl who now has rectangular burns on her face. like stripes an inch wide!! SCARY

i have sensitive skin, its uneven and i'm pale... if lasers were an option i think i'd give it a go... but i'm really scared after what i've seen.

That sounds terrible :(

Well. You are lucky because pale skin is optimal for this treatment. So that is good. As for the sensitivity, your doc should be starting you on a low strength and building you up.

I went to my new dermatologist and we discussed treatment. The same appointment :) she put me under blue/red light. Then I came back the next month for my first laser treatment. Her assistant put numbing cream on me and I sat with that for like 10 minutes. Then they gave me goggles and had me lie down. She started out with a pretty low laser level to test my tolerance. It wasn't really painful. It was like a little rubber band snapping. The only one that hurt a lot was a fresh popped pimple from the morning. FACK! Haha, but it was on my cheek and my cheek takes SO LONG to heal and the mark went away so much faster than usual. Hella good! Then she put me under the blue light again. Next appointment, same things except stronger laser levels.

This procedure has really helped my skin. Scabs and marks fade and fall off at an astonishing rate compared to how they usually heal. Compare a few weeks to a year or two! Amazing. And she told me that the area the laser hits is kind of like killed (the pores or something?) so the acne shouldn't come back there. Which is amazing too. Just make sure to mention you have sensitive skin and they should treat you accordingly. I am very satisfied and I hope it works out well for you too :)

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Well. You are lucky because pale skin is optimal for this treatment. So that is good. As for the sensitivity, your doc should be starting you on a low strength and building you up.

I went to my new dermatologist and we discussed treatment. The same appointment :) she put me under blue/red light. Then I came back the next month for my first laser treatment. Her assistant put numbing cream on me and I sat with that for like 10 minutes. Then they gave me goggles and had me lie down. She started out with a pretty low laser level to test my tolerance. It wasn't really painful. It was like a little rubber band snapping. The only one that hurt a lot was a fresh popped pimple from the morning. FACK! Haha, but it was on my cheek and my cheek takes SO LONG to heal and the mark went away so much faster than usual. Hella good! Then she put me under the blue light again. Next appointment, same things except stronger laser levels.

This procedure has really helped my skin. Scabs and marks fade and fall off at an astonishing rate compared to how they usually heal. Compare a few weeks to a year or two! Amazing. And she told me that the area the laser hits is kind of like killed (the pores or something?) so the acne shouldn't come back there. Which is amazing too. Just make sure to mention you have sensitive skin and they should treat you accordingly. I am very satisfied and I hope it works out well for you too :)

I want IPL now!! How did your face look after treatment aka was there any down time? Thanks Bek!!

I want IPL now!! How did your face look after treatment aka was there any down time? Thanks Bek!!

Haha! Honestly it didn't even look that bad!! I do it at like 5pm and then all she says is not to apply anything to my face that night and the next day I'm all good!! Anytime :)