Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mikesmith1

Vstar laser treatment ruined my face

I had facial redness, some very small boxcar scars on my cheeks, and large pores. I also had a few pimples on my chin. My face was redder than usual because it was summer. I went to a clinic to get consulted for Fraxel for some old acne scars. Instead the derm suggested VStar laser treatment for the redness and also said it might help a little with collagen production and tightening pores. It's a non-invasive treatment, similar to VBeam. It's supposed to target blood vessels to get rid of red marks.

I was told it was a harmless, gentle procedure. No side effects, and no risk of any damage. WHAT A HUGE LIE.

-Very painful. The nurses had it on a low setting and it was still a very PAINFUL procedure. Kind of like getting a tattoo. That's not what I would consider "gentle"!!!

-Facial twitching. Thank god it finally stopped after a year and a half. For that year and a half, my face would randomly twitch on it's own, or when I squinted or made a certain facial expression!! This was extremely uncomfortable. They never warned me about this prior to the procedures. Later when I called the office to ask if it would go away, the nurse said it was "normal". So obviously they knew about this, but just never told me about it.

-The laser caused NEW scars in places that were perfectly clear before!

-The places where I had pimples, the laser left REALLY noticeable and weird marks. In some places, they look like normal indents on my chin. This is horrible to me because I've had hundreds of pimples on my chin before but they never left scars in that area! Now after the treatment, I have a bunch of indents around my mouth/chin area. Under certain lighting it looks very bad. Its full of scar tissue now.

-In other places on my chin, there are raised marks. It's hard to describe, but it looks slightly elevated and patchy now. Under certain lighting, it looks like there is patch of new skin while the rest is normal. These places all used to be smooth with only a few small pimples. It's as if the laser caused collagen production in small patches, while the rest of my skin is normal.

-These small patches are also slightly lighter than the rest of my skin. As if the areas where I had pimples during the procedure turned white, while the other 95% of my skin that didnt have pimples are still a natural color.

It's been 1.5 year and I thought these would go away by now but they haven't. I never had ANY indent scars before so this is all new to me. Doing Vstar for some slight redness was the worst decision of my life. I shouldn't have trusted that dermatologist. I cant even begin to describe how bad my confidence has been since this happened.

Edited by mikesmith1

SUE that son of a b!t*h. That's what I would do. Did you get your money back? I'm very sorry this has happened to you! :( I will say a little prayer for you.

Mike, I don't think V Star was ever intended for scars. I believe I either had this, or something very similar, for a touch of Rosacea I had on the nose and it worked fine. They basically zapped the blood vessels with a hand held gadget. They would put numbing cream on for about 20 minutes and it was $70 a treatment.

http://www.cosmeticlaserandsurgery.com/services/vasbirth.htm

Edited by DudleyDoRight

Mike, I don't think V Star was ever intended for scars. I believe I either had this, or something very similar, for a touch of Rosacea I had on the nose and it worked fine. They basically zapped the blood vessels with a hand held gadget. They would put numbing cream on for about 20 minutes and it was $70 a treatment.

http://www.cosmeticlaserandsurgery.com/services/vasbirth.htm

i think its so interesting a cheap procedure in the scheme of things can cause so much damage. i think a lot of people, including myself trick ourselves into a false sense of security that a cheaper professional treatment would be weak and thus safer. we must exercise caution no matter what treatments we undertake. i hope your skin improves mikesmith.

So sorry man. Same shit happened to me with the VBeam. They said there are no risks, nothing. It was the worst decision of my life. It fucking ruined my skin. It gave me hair loss on my cheeks (I can't even grow a beard without it looking retarded) and new scars. It also gave me the biggest breakout of my life in areas that I NEVER get pimples. Biggest waste of money. I also have a big scar on my arm from the vbeam test spot. My friends ask me what happened to my arm, what can i say? Fucking retarded Derm. I had bought 3 vbeams, but they could not give me a refund. I fucking swore the shit outta the manager, told her fuck you, fuck the derm, fuck your incompetent staff and fuck ICLS (the skin clinic).

Where did you get ur laser?

So sorry man. Same shit happened to me with the VBeam. They said there are no risks, nothing. It was the worst decision of my life. It fucking ruined my skin. It gave me hair loss on my cheeks (I can't even grow a beard without it looking retarded) and new scars. It also gave me the biggest breakout of my life in areas that I NEVER get pimples. Biggest waste of money. I also have a big scar on my arm from the vbeam test spot. My friends ask me what happened to my arm, what can i say? Fucking retarded Derm. I had bought 3 vbeams, but they could not give me a refund. I fucking swore the shit outta the manager, told her fuck you, fuck the derm, fuck your incompetent staff and fuck ICLS (the skin clinic).

ICLS? In Oakville Canada correct?

That's the same place I went to!!!

Okay this is what is freaking me out.

There is a large PATCH of raised skin. Almost a hypotrophic looking scar, but it's not red or anything and there is hair growing there so i dont think its a hypotrophic scar. You can barely see it unless I am standing under a light, but when you notice it, it looks terrible. Like theres a air bubble stuck under my skin or something. It looks so unnatural. I can deal with minor acne scarring, but THIS? *sigh* I dont even know what this thing is. If I touch it or massage it, it get irritated and more visible.

EDIT: FYI - this area of my skin also feels tougher than the rest of my skin.

Anything I can do about this?

Edited by mikesmith1

ICLS? In Oakville Canada correct?

That's the same place I went to!!!

lmfao yeah!! The staff at ICLS are so fucked up, they were calling me at the odd times like when I am at school. I told them repeatedly that I do not want these calls. But one of the staff persisted to call me once a month. That's when I left a nasty message to the manager. Told the manager your on my do not call list. lol

soundss like they dont know how to operate the lasers correctly, i would report them to state where u live and threathen to sue for negiglence.

This sounds like some sort of shady medical center. Are the derms board certified? Check the place out for reviews online and with business bureaus. Look into reporting them and/or sueing them.

That's part A.

Part B is go see at least 2-3 REPUTABLE dermatologists to get an accurate diagnosis of your issues before doing anything to your skin.

Did the treatmenet help in any way or form? have symptoms gotten better with time?

If not it is time to seek proper medical care but always do research before doing anything.

I learend it the hard way as well. Good luck and rest easy.

All my scarring are from lasers procedures (mal practice),I went to a dermatological clinic to get rid of my red marks that I used to have for over 3 years and I was told that my red marks will go away with two different laser together. The first laser (zino) for red marks that target the specific red vessel or red marks and then 2nd laser plasma followed by zino the 1st laser, she never told me that I can get scars from the laser for the red marks(zino) and she never gave to me a release or mentioned that I can have scarring as a side effect. After the 3rd (zino) procedure and the last one when she finished the procedure she told me that I will have scars and I really don't understood what she was trying to say because she never told me anything about that I will get scarring from the laser at the beginning and I also don't saw the scarring right away I start to notice the scars after the scab fell off. Then afterward I figure out that she is not a dermatologist and she only work in the dermatologist office. I went back to claim and I asked her why I get those scars and she told me that I had those scars before from acne and I never treat my acne on time which is totally false, she really pissed me off cause I never had those scarring I only had red marks for over 3 years and never left no indented or deep scars like I do now and neither I never suffer a bad acne, which is totally two different things red mark and scarring. I knew that I wasn't going to get any scars after 3 years, if I would get a scar, is not going to pass away that long (3 years). So I was going to sue her, but then she promise to me that those scarring that she made with the laser was going to fade away with 3 plasma treatment, it never happened but everything she wanted was let pass the lengh of time to not sue her. I talked with the owner the (dermatologist) and at first we start arguing and he said that I was with this scarring and he never saw me before I had the laser(zino) as my face was with a few red marks and with no scar but obviously he was on her side, so I was trying to talk to him and I told him that all I want is to solve my situation and I want my skin back, then he recommended to me others treatment and even that they messed with my face in top of that I also had to pay for the other treatments. In overall I already spent around $20,000 to try fix the malpractice that they did to me. So I talked with a lawyer and the lawyer told me that the period to sue is over due after a year, but if I go back and they touch my face again and I had another treatment with them in the original dermatological clinic that I had the malpractice so the malpractice will get renew and I can sue but it can't pass longer than 1 year to sue.

I haven't go back after 2 year and I don't know how I'm going to react, I need to be very patience to not kill her because if I do it then things are going to flip and then I might go to jail instead them and everything is going to get very complicated, but is not easy act like nothing happen in front with the person that disfigured my face.They ruined my life I was a model and actor from latin novelas and tv programs I use to work and depend on my look and now I just waste all my talent , Since the malpractice I use to get very depress and they keep having a normal life like nothing happened is not fear.

Edited by badkitty

Hey Mike and Adam.. I've also been to the ICLS. To whoever asked, the derm there is boarded. I've had two rounds of Cynergy laser (that's the VStar).. and had really good results. It does hurt like hell, but it helped clear up my vascular redmarks and helped my skin texture. My second course I actually did whilst on Accutane.. which is why I'm surprised you guys have had such negative effects, as it is noninvasive enough to use while on Accutane without risk of scarring. Anyways, did the clinic offer any suggestions to address your concerns? Might be something to ask them about.

Hey Mike and Adam.. I've also been to the ICLS. To whoever asked, the derm there is boarded. I've had two rounds of Cynergy laser (that's the VStar).. and had really good results. It does hurt like hell, but it helped clear up my vascular redmarks and helped my skin texture. My second course I actually did whilst on Accutane.. which is why I'm surprised you guys have had such negative effects, as it is noninvasive enough to use while on Accutane without risk of scarring. Anyways, did the clinic offer any suggestions to address your concerns? Might be something to ask them about.

everyone has different skin.

This laser is NOT suitable for mine obviously.

Mike, I agree. Sorry, I wasn't trying to sound contrary. I am just very surprised, especially since I too was skeptical of the laser as my skin is extremely sensitive and reactive, and somehow I managed to get decent results. Anyways, I'm sorry that you've had such an adverse reaction.. between the facial twitching and texture changes, etc, that's a nightmare. Maybe you can try something topical, like a retinoid or AHA, to help with the texture issues? Even chemical peels might help.. I imagine you aren't interested in doing any more laser of any kind, but there a tonne of laser treatments out there too. All the best..

L

3 years later... ICLS was a huge disappointment!

Hypopigmentation. You can clearly see where the laser was used as there are white spots that stick out on my tanned skin.

Hypertrophic scars. There are 2 really bad ones. I've NEVER had these before the laser, and they suddenly appeared a few months after treatment. When I went to speak to the doctor at ICLS, he completely denied the laser could've done this and was very rude.

Indentations that were clearly caused by the laser. Again, I never had these before the laser and they appeared almost immediately after. On active acne that was hit with the laser, it cause big indents as the acne never went through a normal healing process.

Oh, and did I mention that I still get redness? The laser improved my redness maybe 20% but damaged my skin more than I ever imagined it could. I wish I could have my old face back. How it was before I went to this stupid clinic.

So much for being a "harmless treatment" like the doctor said.

So here's a warning to anyone who thinks about going to ICLS in Oakville... STOP. Do not trust these doctors. Especially Dr. Sheetal Sapra

The reason I am bumping this post is to warn future clients of ICLS. I wish somebody had posted something like this before I had decided to go through with the VStar treatment at ICLS.

Edited by mikesmith1

...I also heard some negative things about this clinic before...sorry this happened to you...its really hard to find a good derm...many of them are just interested in your money...and won't follow up or offer you anything when their treatment failed...

hope your skin will get better...

Edited by myskin2012