Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I wanted to tell you about my journey of follicitus.

I went on a cruise in march and laid out in the sun for 1 week 2-3 hours per day. One week after returning I broke out in a rash that i thought was acne. For 4 months I went to dermatologist trying to find a cure. I tried sulfur wash, triaz, evoclin, and differin. I was frustrated and decided to get a second opinion. At this point i found out i was allergic to benzoyl peroxide. my skin was all red and burned on my chest back and arms. The dermatologist told me to stop using all acne products and gave me a prescription antibiotic ointment. during this time i had about 100-150 small red inflammed lesions on my chest and neck. I put the ointment on that night stopped using acne products and woke up the next day with completely clear skin. I was so happy i could wear tank tops again in this hot florida weather. two weeks went by and i was clear. then suddenly my skin started to itch badly and appeared dry. the next day i woke up with 200 lesions on my chest again. i was devastated that this acne came back again. i went to a third dermatologist for some help. she said it looks like follicitus. i asked for a biopsy because i needed to know what it was to cure the damn thing. I am awaiting results. the dermatologist prescribed the same antibiotic that the previous dermatologist prescribed. 5 days later i am sitting here as my rash slowly fades away. i am anxiously awaiting results because i need to know what this is so they can give me the right medication. i know that like before it will come back unless i get some antibiotic or anti-fungal medication. i am frustrated and upset about this stupid thing. it is summer i can not even go swimming and have to wear t shirts in 90 degree weather. i am embarrassed to have sex with my fiance. i am scared he can contract this thing and i feel unattractive at the moment. i feel slightly better that it is not acne. for some reason acne effects my self esteem more than follicitus does. i also have minor acne on my back and face. but it is not that noticeable with makeup. i am wondering if any one else has had follicitus come back on and off before. how do you cure this thing? it is so frustrating and i feel ugly even though i know i am not ugly. strange i know. thanks for reading and any advice is greatly appreciated

I heard head&shoulders shampoo can help because of the zinc in it. I think I have a combination of the two because H&S has been working for me.

Edited by Alex_09

I used head and shoulders for a while and it helped my skin though I do think my acne is acne.... not a while I wasn't sure.. I'm still not :S but the small bumps went away when I used head and shoulders as a bodywash. Using it everyday caused problems though so maybe every other day?

Check out my blog. I went on Ketokonazole and it worked for me, but the antifungal your doc prescribed might work for you too. Just give it atleast a month!!! It will go away eventually don't worry!

I heard head&shoulders shampoo can help because of the zinc in it. I think I have a combination of the two because H&S has been working for me.

hello all. i got some disappointing news. i have grover's disease. There is no cure and it can last up to 14 months. It is caused by over sun exposure and sweating alot. i work out five time per week and recently went on a vacation where i laid out in the sun for 4 hours. i am going to get flareups. i am upset because i am getting married. i dread walking down the isle with 200-300 bumps on my neck and chest. i was just be devasted. i am on a vitamin a regime. the doctor thinks it will help but there is no guarantee. grover's disease looks like acne. eruptions usually last 12 months without topical antibiotics. if you think you have follicutis and it does not go away you probably have grover's disease. Look it up. I am really disappointed. i cant get married with this acne like rash on over my body. please respond i need some comfort right now.

hello all. i got some disappointing news. i have grover's disease. There is no cure and it can last up to 14 months. It is caused by over sun exposure and sweating alot. i work out five time per week and recently went on a vacation where i laid out in the sun for 4 hours. i am going to get flareups. i am upset because i am getting married. i dread walking down the isle with 200-300 bumps on my neck and chest. i was just be devasted. i am on a vitamin a regime. the doctor thinks it will help but there is no guarantee. grover's disease looks like acne. eruptions usually last 12 months without topical antibiotics. if you think you have follicutis and it does not go away you probably have grover's disease. Look it up. I am really disappointed. i cant get married with this acne like rash on over my body. please respond i need some comfort right now.

sweetie *hugs*

are you still getting married on the same date or are you pushing it back?

at least you know its likely that this is a temporary situation and that one day your skin will be as it used to be. I hope the answers you got went some way to reassuring you although it is obviously no fun having grover's disease.

topicals and the vitamin a programme will probably really improve things in the meantime.

do you and your betrothed have anything fun planned in the near future to look forward to like day trips etc? having something to look forward to always helps me.

hope you are feeling better when you read this xxx