Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
girlwithissues

This is just a little more than frustrating.

OK so for a while, I had been doing OK with my acne. It had gone down and I'd only get a few tiny spots here and there, and I was fine with that because most of the time I could just pop them really easily with a tissue, put on some BP and be done with it the next day. This was because I was on 100mg of Doxy twice daily for about a month. Then... I ran out of doxy. I can't get another perscription for it because I'm no longer insured.

Anyway, I finished my period on June 7, and I knew I'd break out because I ALWAYS break out horrifically (or what I thought was horriffic anyways..) after my periods. Usually, I got like one or two angry cysts on my chin and it'd drive me nuts and I'd slather it with BP and it would stop being so painfully obnoxious after about 3-5 days.

Welll.... now I've got a whole new issue to deal with. Both sides of my face have broken out COMPLETELY... From right under my ears all the way down my jaw line. And they are cysts. Some are big, some are small, but they are all cysts. My cheeks are relatively unaffected, but my jawline area is just awful. It's been like this for a few days already.

They started out small, and I thought they would be the kind of pimples I'd be able to pop and forget about, but now they're just.... painful. Swollen.

I've heard that this could be hormonal, and I'm betting that's what it is... especially since I have a tendency to break out after my periods and all.

Any of you have suggestions for dealing with this? I've already done the icing and it helped, and I've done my best to make it go down without drying my face out or aggravating it.

I think another thing that might be adding to my acne is I tried something called a Sulfur facial mask by Proactiv? I dunno, but as soon as I used it the first time (a few days ago after my period) my face felt better for a bit but then I started getting those cysts.

Any opinions? I'd post pictures, alas, I have no camera. :(

Well first and foremost, do NOT bother them. As tempting as it is, it will only make them deeper and swell harder and become inflammed, then they'll scar and it's just a fuggin' ordeal that you don't want. But I'm sure you know that already! I just thought it was worth saying.

Since this is hormonal, even though you're uninsured is there any way you could get birth control at an affordable rate? Birth control is really what cleared me up. I'm struggling at the moment, but I think I'll get back on track soon. But after taking ortho tri cyclen I didn't get a spot on my face for a very long time. If you can it's really something you should look into.

It sounds like the sulfur mask just irritated your skin. Surprisingly, facials really aren't the best for people who are acne prone because it just aggravates the skin and traps a LOT of crap in your pores causing you to breakout. So I would avoid that. Proactiv is the devil by the way. It's designed to basically addict your skin so the moment you stop using it you break out. Not a good system.

Other than that, give it time. This could be a one time thing. I'm going through something fairly similar at the moment, my breakout is not as severe, but it could be a freak accident.

Hey!

I had this exact problem a few days ago when I had my typical period break out. Mine was also along both sides of my jaw and face, lots of painful cysts. I'm on Accutane (recently) so it's been even worse with the IB.

I can't offer much advice except patience. They will get less painful in a few days, and slowly heal. Just keep your hands OFF YOUR FACE and whatever you do, don't try to bring them to the surface with your fingers or any other instrument :naughty: . They will simply get pushed farther into your skin and in turn become harder to get rid of.

In another post, there was the idea of icing the pimples (ice wrapped in a cloth) lightly for 5-10 minutes, followed by neosporin or polysporin. I haven't tried this but I am going to tonight. Just a thought.

Hang in there, I know how it feels. I've had many a day where I literally want to rip off my face because it's so painful and frustrating :cry: .

Good luck <3

Please promise you won't pick at those cysts! :o It only sucks a lot more later.

Icing does give some relief because ice helps swelling and inflammation, which is what has happened to your pore. It feels good too. Just try to be good to your skin while the cysts heal and hopefully you can find a new regimen that works well for you.

I CANT HELP YOU SORRY BUT YOUR NOT ALONE IN MORE WAYS THAN ONE I BREAK OUT AFTER MY PERIODS TOO AND TODAY I PUT THAT PROACTIV SULFUR MASK ON A CYST CRAZY HUH ANYWAYS I MANAGE TO POP IT THERE WAS A SMALL HEAD BUT MORE BLOOD THAN PUSS :( IDK WHY I USED THAT MASK PROACTIV GOT RID OF MY ACNE FOR A WHILE N THEN IT CAME BACK ALMOST WORSE THAN BEFOR I HOPE I DIDNT FUK MY FACE UP