I have for a while being eating basically a caveman diet

fruit

vege

meat

eggs

fish

thats it.....Occasional treat but not often

however, I have 2 problems.

1. I notice as my carbs are low my libido and mood is somewhat poor. When i experiment and say eat loads carbs like rice for 1-2 days my libido and mood shoots up but I break out in sore spots.

2. My bodyfat levels are too low. DUe to lack of carbs and hard to eat 2000-2500+ calories, regardless the lack of carbs in general my bodyfat is real low like 8%..I do workout and lift weights and do some cardio. Youd think this would not be a problem but Im naturally very thin and thin faced..I weighed 5'10 120lbs naturally but bulked up. i was 140-150lbs whilst eating carbs but more bodyfat. Now I am like 130lbs. Problem is my face looks very drawn in and I look very frail and skinny.

So, I need more bodyfat and I need more carbs for energy /libido

I have tried variosu things eatign 200g carbs worht of fruit..but that didnt help. Also, tried tubers like sweet potato but they upset my stomach.

It seems I need 100-200g rice, pasta, wheat etc...to function better and to help me gain some bodyfat.

But this results in acne.

I am fine with keeping the caveman diet but also eating 1-200g basmati rice per day.

I dont know how unhealhy this is or how much worse it will make my acne long term. I belive my acne was due to insulin resistance, hormonal imbalance, and food allergies, milk and gluten?

I think rice is the safest grain type carb as wheat and oats break me out much worse.

ANy other ideas on how I can have a diet that is ok but makes me feel better and increase my weight but not effect my skin/health to badly

I think key is keeping blood sugar low I dont know how bad 1-200g rice per day is?

I have tried high calorie 3000 diet with only cavemen foods but it didnt help libido/mood or weight gain even eating 2000cals but with loads of carbs like rice makes me feel better...I dont know why?

I had this too, I had low energy for about two weeks when I went low carb, it wasn't so bad but I noticed I couldn't run as far, but it shot back up ten fold and I didn't change anything. Never any mood swings though, but maybe I got lucky. I think it's hormones balancing or something. Either way, it was temporary so there's some encouragement for ya.

Edited by uncle buck

Maybe you should try some other options on the grains?? Ever try Kamut? Buckwheat, quinoa, spelt, barley. I've heard good things about all of this stuff. You could try a little bit of each grain maybe. You do sound like you have Celiac disease though so you should keep avoiding the wheat. Also have you tried any beans or nuts? Almonds are great but I've heard they have broken people out. I don't have any trouble with them though and all nut butters are great caloric loads. It sounds like you do need to try eating something with carbs though or at least some other varieties to your diet. This seems like a diet that is very restrictive and not very realistic in the long run but if you are that devoted and you can find a way to get more energy from it then it will probably work out. It might benefit you to make non-dairy yogurt from coconut milk also just for some variety and calories

thanks for replies

- I definatley do have IBS or celiac IMO..Iget bloated and stomach pains from most wheat, oats and milk etc...

- 8% bodyfat looks good for a bodybuilder. I do have muscles but Its just my face looks not so good. though I dont have enough muscle so look skinny.

- i get spots from nuts also and coconut makes me out of breathe/wheeze when I eat it for some reason? allergy

- those other grains bukcwheat etc..are all quite expensive

- I tried eatign 200g fat per day but didnt make much difference

- I have been eating like this nealry a year now so its not temporary

- I think my body works better with 100-200g rice every other day or so...isnt rice least allergenic and easily digestible? though can raise blood sugar to cause acne?

If you keep overall carbs around 100-150 grams it shouldn't really cause too bad blood sugar spikes escpecially if you exercise. And yes rice usually considered hypoallergenic.

I have no idea what could be causing those problems but I have heard that some people don't do well with really low carbs.

yeh apart from wheat and oats I think rice problem must just be blood sugar as I doubt any other reason it could cause acne.

I try to get 100g carbs from fruit

I dont know if canned fruit is ok? I drain the juice and only eat the fruit...expcet pineapple as it says the juice is natural not concentrate

I get

canned pinneaple 25g carbs

banana 25g

canned grapefruit, peaches or pear about 40g

then I try eat maybe kiwi, orange, apple 20g

Plus some vege and carrots 20-40g

maybe about 100-150g total

then I guess I could eat 60-100g rice= 50-80g carbs shjouldnt be too bad?

If you keep overall carbs around 100-150 grams it shouldn't really cause too bad blood sugar spikes escpecially if you exercise. And yes rice usually considered hypoallergenic.

I have no idea what could be causing those problems but I have heard that some people don't do well with really low carbs.

yeh apart from wheat and oats I think rice problem must just be blood sugar as I doubt any other reason it could cause acne.

I try to get 100g carbs from fruit

I dont know if canned fruit is ok? I drain the juice and only eat the fruit...expcet pineapple as it says the juice is natural not concentrate

I get

canned pinneaple 25g carbs

banana 25g

canned grapefruit, peaches or pear about 40g

then I try eat maybe kiwi, orange, apple 20g

Plus some vege and carrots 20-40g

maybe about 100-150g total

then I guess I could eat 60-100g rice= 50-80g carbs shjouldnt be too bad?

Your doing some conflicting stuff if your theory is all related to blood sugar. Fruit if eaten by itself causes a quick surge in blood sugar just like complex or refined carbs would. Canned fruit is dead food IMHO, its preserved and drowned in syrup.

As someone else mentioned it sounds like you might be gluten intolerant or perhaps even Celiac. However rice does not have gluten in it, so in small amounts it should not give you any problems.

Go over to celiac.com and read up and see if you fit the profile. And if you can fork up a couple hundred bucks you can get a stool test for gluten sensitivity from www.enterolab.com

PANIC

You probably went from eating carbs to not eating any (grains, not fruit/veg carbs) in a short space of time. In this case this is normal and is the reason its advised to slowly reduce carb intake.

It can take as little as a few days upto a month or more to adapt to a diet that lacks alot of carbs.

Keep at it for a while and it should begin to get better.

na I been eating like this for months. I defo funciton better with more carbs.

As for fruit your wrong. It dont raise blood sugar much nor insulin. Plus 1/2sugars are fructose gets stored in liver as glycogen.

Canned fruit? As far as i am aware its fine. I just dont drink the juice. I dont need canned fruit its just fresh fruit goes off quick so I buy in bulk have maybe 1 a day if at all.

As for fruit your wrong. It dont raise blood sugar much nor insulin. Plus 1/2sugars are fructose gets stored in liver as glycogen.

Canned fruit? As far as i am aware its fine. I just dont drink the juice. I dont need canned fruit its just fresh fruit goes off quick so I buy in bulk have maybe 1 a day if at all.

Most people should of adpated in that time, perhaps you have some sort of B vit deficiency, try taking a multi vit at breakfast and also fish oil caps throughout the day. Since upping my omega 3 intake I can wake up on 4 hours sleep (did the other day) and still felt good, also went to the gym and felt energetic all the way through which rarely happens (on the same day :))

Edited by ben90

Most people should of adpated in that time, perhaps you have some sort of B vit deficiency, try taking a multi vit at breakfast and also fish oil caps throughout the day. Since upping my omega 3 intake I can wake up on 4 hours sleep (did the other day) and still felt good, also went to the gym and felt energetic all the way through which rarely happens (on the same day :))

lol I take so many vits, multi vits, ZMA, b complex, fish oil

I dont know, I just seem to feel better when I eat some carbs. Makes me feel more sedated and relaxed too...guess thats bad really but I quite like it...without carbs I often feel like Im on edge all the time...If I eat some carbs I can relax.

Also the libido thing...with adding carbs it comes back but maybe cause I feel more relaxed thats why?

bloody hell, I dont know what to do with you! :P:D

your best bet will be to add back in low gi carbs and then slowly lower the amount you eat every day, some people just prefer carbs and get on with them, but IMO everyone should feel great without grains in our diet unless there is some sort of problem with your system.

Or failing that, just stick with healthy carbs.

Edited by ben90

bloody hell, I dont know what to do with you! :P:D

your best bet will be to add back in low gi carbs and then slowly lower the amount you eat every day, some people just prefer carbs and get on with them, but IMO everyone should feel great without grains in our diet unless there is some sort of problem with your system.

Or failing that, just stick with healthy carbs.

yeh well im just gonna eat fruit, vege and basmati rice....thats all....no other grains etc..

Cant get much stricter than that....

i will adjust rice to see how much I need to feel better

Where are you getting your protein? And you're working out too? If you're literally eating just basmati rice, fruits and vegetables.. I can't see how you could be getting everything you need.

Not to mention, white basmati rice isn't a particular low glycemic-index food.. though brown basmati rice wouldn't be too far behind either :(

Please eat something else! Just reading about this diet worries me.

Where are you getting your protein? And you're working out too? If you're literally eating just basmati rice, fruits and vegetables.. I can't see how you could be getting everything you need.

Not to mention, white basmati rice isn't a particular low glycemic-index food.. though brown basmati rice wouldn't be too far behind either :(

Please eat something else! Just reading about this diet worries me.

lol NOOO

that is how i will get my carbs

I eat eggs, tuna, beef or turkey or chicken or lamb every day, plus sometimes whey protein shakes

for fat olive oil, fish oil mainly

I read white basmati is like 55 GI

I tired sweet potatos but they upset my stomach