Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Thanat0s

Huge question regarding exercise

So I used Dan's Regimen in 2009 from...I dunno, July to, I wanna say, November. It was tough to stay so determined because I was always in such a hurry in the mornings. It always seemed like I wasn't being as gentle as possible, and sometimes I had to apply moisturizer on the way to the bus stop (I rode a city bus to college -- no car). Well, after about 3 or 4 full months of using it...and mind you, I used On the Spot and a Neutrogena Moisturizer for a few months beforehand, I just give up. All in all I'd say I was using large doses of BP for 6 months or so.

Fast forward to right now. I tried a "Caveman Regimen" back in December, and my face EXPLODED with acne. I'm talking the worst acne I've ever seen under my lip. It was crusty and painful, and I was really worried. I immediately started back on Metrogel in the morning, and Epiduo at night. It's now June (duh) and I'm still using this regimen. My skin isn't bad, and medium sized cysts come along once or twice a month but get smaller within a few days and then vanish probably within two weeks. But I'm not CLEAR!

Now that the introduction is over, my question: I exercise at about 3PM three times a week, and generally go for walks on Tues/Thurs when I'm not at the weight room. In addition, it's summer and I enjoy swimming here at my apartment pool. The Metrogel fits my schedule because it's a water-based gel, and it's so light and easy to sweat with. I come home around 4:30PM each day, quickly shower (no soap or anything, just a quick rinse-off) then wait 30 minutes and apply Epiduo.

Can I exercise with Dan's Regimen? I was VERY much into this site in 2009, and I remember him preaching 12 hours in between applications. Every day. Without fail. Or I will be killed. No, but really, I get up and put it on at ~7:00AM (once school starts up, at least in the Fall) and exercise about 8 hours later at 3PM. Then what? Does this ruin the entire regimen?

I still have leftover BP, Moisterizer, AHA, and Cleanser (which I still use twice a week to shave)...and Epiduo IS a BP-based prescription, so my face is already used to BP. So I'm pretty much ready to go back to the regimen, I'm just not sure how it'd work with me sweating off the BP every day after only 8 hours instead of 12.

Sorry for all the extra reading, I just wanted to make it clear that I have tried Dan's BP, and it didn't work. But I do admit I was usually in a hurry and probably a bit irritant to my skin and such.

Thanks!

I work out a lot on the regimen as well dude and if you're exercising about 8 hours after you apply the bp, you should be fine. if you were exercising right afterwards, i'd say you gotta problem but... i pretty much do the same thing man and all you really have to do is just blot your face with some tissue or tp and you'll be fine. i worked out yesterday and blotted about 3 times during my workout. afterwards i got home and my skin looked fine. i waited till that night to wash off and stuff and i had no problem, the bp was still there, protecting my skin.

so to summarize, you should be fine working out with that schedule and being on the regimen. the bp doesn't really clump up but it may show white a little when your perspire (it doesn't with me but everyone is different) so just blot your skin lightly with some tissue and you should be fine.

lemme know

So you don't go home and shower (or shower at the gym) just to wipe off the sweat or anything? I should just wait until 7PM that night and wash/BP/moisturize as usual?

Bump please.

I'm just wondering if I should shower with water just to wash-off after working out, or if I should perhaps wait until the 12 hour mark and do it at night when I get home.

Also, while this topic is up, I had a question: it's summer in Texas and it gets to be about 105 here. I enjoy swimming and stuff, but if I started using BP in the morning and afternoon times, even with a SPF, would I be safe from flakiness or crusting? If I had to choose between using Dan's BP in the morning, or using Metrogel but being able to go out for hours, I'd choose the Metrogel!

Thanks!

I'm not saying that this is what you should do (Dan would probably have my head!), but I only "do Dan's regimen" once a day. BUT I have been on the regimen for almost two years and for the first 6 months I did do it twice a day.

I think that you can and should exercise while on Dan's regimen. I believe that exercising is too important to leave out even though it may mess up your schedule (as far as applying the BP). Right now, I exercise at night, so it works out well to wash my face and apply the BP right afterwards. I agree with the person who posted before me... you are probably fine to just blot the sweat or air-dry after exercising rather than washing again. While Dan does say that you should apply the BP every 12 hours, he also stresses that irritation is a major cause of acne. I think that over washing your face or applying the BP too often or too soon may cause more harm than just being a little sweaty.

When I swim, I try to not rub my face a lot while I'm in the water. Once I get out, most of the BP is still on my face. I always carry around some face cream with sunscreen and apply that to my face after the BP dries again. This way I'm not adding more BP, but my face isn't crusty and dry. There isn't really a perfect system... Unfortunately, it's just not a very convenient regimen (especially in the summer), but it really worked for me!

I'm not saying that this is what you should do (Dan would probably have my head!), but I only "do Dan's regimen" once a day. BUT I have been on the regimen for almost two years and for the first 6 months I did do it twice a day.

I think that you can and should exercise while on Dan's regimen. I believe that exercising is too important to leave out even though it may mess up your schedule (as far as applying the BP). Right now, I exercise at night, so it works out well to wash my face and apply the BP right afterwards. I agree with the person who posted before me... you are probably fine to just blot the sweat or air-dry after exercising rather than washing again. While Dan does say that you should apply the BP every 12 hours, he also stresses that irritation is a major cause of acne. I think that over washing your face or applying the BP too often or too soon may cause more harm than just being a little sweaty.

When I swim, I try to not rub my face a lot while I'm in the water. Once I get out, most of the BP is still on my face. I always carry around some face cream with sunscreen and apply that to my face after the BP dries again. This way I'm not adding more BP, but my face isn't crusty and dry. There isn't really a perfect system... Unfortunately, it's just not a very convenient regimen (especially in the summer), but it really worked for me!

Alright, cool thanks. So I'll just pat dry my face with a clean towel after workout, and go about my business until the 12-hour mark. And then go swimming during the day and do the same thing.

I agree, it can be inconvenient...stupid acne.

Yeah like i said, it's really best to just try and blot your face to dry up the running bp if any on your face after a workout. You can also try doing the regimen around your workout. what i mean is, it's considered best to workout in the mornings so say if you apply the bp at night time before you go to bed, don't take a shower immediately after waking up and go straight to the gym, then when you get home from your workout, shower and do regimen, or you can do the same thing for at night. what i typically do is shower and apply bp and then go workout in the afternoons, blot, come home and relax and then before i go to bed, apply the bp. this is what i've done for years.