Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey everyone, i'm a 21 year old male with mild/moderate acne.

After doing a bit of research, it came to my attention i had a lot of the symptoms of hormonal acne.

Id never had acne in my teenage years, but now i have constant papules and pustules that leave nasty red marks, on the lower half of the face i.e around the mouth/chin/jaw line area. This apparently starts at around age 19-20, exactly when my acne started and exactly describes my acne.

I thought hormonal acne was mainly in women so its a little embarassing, but im struggling to find what treatment can level hormones for a male? For a woman birth control seems to work for a lot of people, but what is there for a guy? I work out regularly, and eat a not perfect - yet relatively healthy diet. I drink A TONNE of water.

So my question is has anybody else found a cure for this or know of any male treatments?

Any advice or information is helpful! Thanks in advance =)

It is difficult. But first guess is to have a girlfriend and kiss her a lot. Estrogen can help a bit ... but that may be a myth.

Have you read about saw palmetto?

Edited by Corsair

Saw Palmetto is supposed to pretty helpful isn't it? I've always been under the impression though that reducing level's of testosterone would be a bad idea because its part of natural male development. I've also read that Saw Palmetto can cause Breast development in males?

Hey everyone, i'm a 21 year old male with mild/moderate acne.

After doing a bit of research, it came to my attention i had a lot of the symptoms of hormonal acne.

Id never had acne in my teenage years, but now i have constant papules and pustules that leave nasty red marks, on the lower half of the face i.e around the mouth/chin/jaw line area. This apparently starts at around age 19-20, exactly when my acne started and exactly describes my acne.

I thought hormonal acne was mainly in women so its a little embarassing, but im struggling to find what treatment can level hormones for a male? For a woman birth control seems to work for a lot of people, but what is there for a guy? I work out regularly, and eat a not perfect - yet relatively healthy diet. I drink A TONNE of water.

So my question is has anybody else found a cure for this or know of any male treatments?

Any advice or information is helpful! Thanks in advance =)

I'd suggest going to a derm. ALL acne is hormonal to a certain extent, mediated by inflammation, sebum production and all the other factors of acne pathogenesis. The location of the acne isn't a determining factor in whether or not the acne is hormonal or not. Some people claim that chin/jawline acne is hormonal in nature but I have not seen any studies backing this up.

Other very interesting information for men (and women, actually) to consider:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/579326_2 Specifically:

The low glycemic-load theory postulates that a state of elevated insulin is prevented, which is also noted to inhibit the initiation of a cascade that increases androgens. More specifically, foods with high glycemic loads are known to give rise to hyperinsulinemia, which can then lead to an increase in plasma concentrations of insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-1.[18] Free IGF-1 may promote acne by inducing hyperkeratosis and epidermal hyperplasia,[19,20] which is an initial step in the formation of a follicular obstruction. IGF-1, in addition to insulin, can also stimulate androgens, which are known to cause an increase in sebum production.[21] Clinically, there is evidence that patients with acne have higher serum levels of IGF-1, as seen in the Cappel et al. study evaluating postadolescent women aged 20-25 years.[18]

Young men with acne have also been studied with respect to dietary glycemic load and hormonal concentrations.[5] A total of 43 men aged 15-25 years with acne, were divided into either control or low glycemic-load diet groups and followed their respective diets for 12 weeks. Those in the low glycemic-load group not only lost weight and had a greater decrease in total lesion count,[6] but also had a reduced free androgen index and an increase in IGF-binding protein (IGFBP)-1,[5] probably indicating an increase in insulin sensitivity. Individuals with insulin resistance have been observed previously to have low IGFBP-1 concentrations.[22]

So, alter your diet!

You could also try the Regimen.

But for some people with acne for years, even in adulthood and hormone related, you can try saw palmetto (gently). I don't understand why your breast will grow since for that you need Estrogen (female hormone) in big quantities.

I did read a little on saw palmetto. Not sure exactly what it is to be honest, but i may ask my derm about it next visit.

Im currently on the differin/duac regimen, nearly week 8. no improvement of yet.