Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
olive14

Cyst, nodule, what the hell is this thing?

Okay, this is going to seem like a really stupid question and I apologize in advance for wasting all of your sweet time with this BURNING question that just can't wait.

Anyways, I haven't had a breakout in months but two or so days ago this bump reappeared on my chin (in the same area that it always has), and I am as determined as ever to make it go away. I haven't bothered it whatsoever. Which is a huge thing for me. So it only hurts a bit when you press on it.

I have a history of inflammatory acne. And this thing on my chin is about the size of a pea and rock hard. I can't decide what it is, cyst, nodule, are they the same THING?! It's a bit red when I don't have makeup on, but only the bump itself, not the surrounding area because I haven't bothered it.

I read up on nodules and the interwebz says that they are solid deep seated masses, that cause an elevation in the skin. It's not protruding a WHOLE lot, but I guess it's a bit noticeable. But it's completely solid, I'll tell you that. Like a marble sort of.

I know you can't diagnose me just by reading my post, you'd need to look at it, but is this what it SOUNDS like? What's the difference between a cyst and a nodule?

And can I get this removed by my derm?

in my experience of cysts, which ive had an awful lot of, i find them to be alot larger then what your describing, i would really not rush into anything, just give it some time to work its way out.

I would classify it as a nodule. It doesn't have a watery, pus and blood filled top layer like cysts usually have and the size fits the description as well. It's good that you're not messing with it. I know it's confusing, but many times the terms are interchangeable because they correlate. Check this link out and you'll see what I mean: http://www.skincarephysicians.com/acnenet/...ne4types.html#4

Sounds like a nodule to me too. They can be on the small side - I once had one like that on my jawline for a long time.

If it doesn't go away on its own, your derm may be able to inject it with cortisone and possibly even extract the core of the lesion. That's what my doctor did with the one I had, and it worked well. No scarring, just a temporary indent from the cortisone and the spot never came back.

I had one of these last week, and I got rid of it before it got too bad. Highly recommend following these steps, especially the ibuprofen and icing...

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/cyst-pimp...it-t166343.html

Those are good tips, I'll definitely try that. The one thing I'm worried about is the ibuprofen, because I know from my experience with ovarian cysts that the anti inflammatory properties of the medicine don't kick in unless you take four, and I'm not sure what a great idea that would be on a 100 pound girl with an already damaged liver.

The other day while I was soaking my newest piercing with a warm water/sea salt compress, I was thinking about the thing on my chin and if it would do anything for that as well so I made a new compress the same way and held it on there for about 5 or so minutes and it did a lot for the redness.

I've been using my sodium sulfacetamide and I think it's gotten a bit smaller since. It sure hasn't gotten any bigger.

But I'll try all of those suggestions for sure.

I had one of these last week, and I got rid of it before it got too bad. Highly recommend following these steps, especially the ibuprofen and icing...

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/cyst-pimp...it-t166343.html

Those are good tips, I'll definitely try that. The one thing I'm worried about is the ibuprofen, because I know from my experience with ovarian cysts that the anti inflammatory properties of the medicine don't kick in unless you take four, and I'm not sure what a great idea that would be on a 100 pound girl with an already damaged liver.

The other day while I was soaking my newest piercing with a warm water/sea salt compress, I was thinking about the thing on my chin and if it would do anything for that as well so I made a new compress the same way and held it on there for about 5 or so minutes and it did a lot for the redness.

I've been using my sodium sulfacetamide and I think it's gotten a bit smaller since. It sure hasn't gotten any bigger.

But I'll try all of those suggestions for sure.

Yeah, especially if you can catch it somewhat early, I think you should be fine. For me, Ibuprofen really does help with the redness, but more than understand your concerns with it.