Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dotty1

The 1-food diet - To find that trigger food

Has anyone tried it?

I'm so tired to trying elimination diets because it seems I have multiple sensitivities. I finally decided to devote one day to a certain food. For example, I'll have a "tomato" day or an "onion" day. The day before, I eat a food that I know won't give me a reaction, such as bananas. This helps me pinpoint at least 1-2 trigger foods per week. Then I take a break from this diet and eat normally.

I keep a notebook close by and record the food I eat and the reaction that occurs over the next 24 hours. I watch how my stool looks the next day. Does it float? Is it diarrhea?

A few weeks ago, I ate 4 raw tomatoes. I had diarrhea that evening and severe cramps. I noticed my skin became inflamed. (Note: To test tomatoes, they must be eaten raw). My best friends can eat 6 raw tomatoes and be fine. Not so for me.

Today I ate only onions. I ate 4 sauteed onions and 1/4th of a raw onion (the Polish used to eat raw onions without any problems). I felt a little bit sleepy afterward, a few hours later I developed slight diarrhea, light cramps, gas and by nightfall my skin has begun to peel as if I have sunburn. I think I found one(?) of the trigger foods that cause my face to always have dead skin. I found that some people have "onion" intolerance" and I am exhibiting the symptoms.

Onion Intolerance or Onion Sensitivity symptoms:

Diarrhea, Stomach Cramps, Bloating, Migraines, Fatigue, Sleep Disturbances, Numb or burning mouth, Skin bumps or blisters.

Has anyone tried doing this sort of "elimination" diet?

Edited by Dotty1

This sounds healthy.

Well, I would not advice eating like this long term. But it certainly helps when you just can't find the annoying food triggers.

It might make more sense to figure out why you have these food sensitivities in the first place.

It might make more sense to figure out why you have these food sensitivities in the first place.

I agree, but I don't know how to do that. :think:

My mom ate 1/2 sauteed onion and had a more severe reaction than me -- her lips and fingers became numb. It was the first time for both of us to eat that many onions. She then fell asleep for an hour and felt too tired to operate. I realize this is quite a severe reaction. But, she has delt with unexplainable fatigue for years and I always tried to tell her that her fatigue occurs after eating bits of onions.

Edited by Dotty1

I'm just throwing this out there - but maybe the reaction is not because its a "trigger food" but simply because you ate so much of it.

Like if I decided to eat nothing but cherries or yoghurt all day, I'm sure something negative would happen, even though neither of those things present issues when eaten in normal amounts.

Onions are very high in sulfur and other antifungal/antibacterial components similar to garlic. It also contains FOS or another prebiotic like it (can't remember exactly) that feeds bacteria. Anyone would react to such a large amount like that- any kind of rashes, fatigue, diarrhea, and gas are all common side-effects of killing off large amounts of these organisms, and feeding others at the same time.

Just for the record, I don't think the floating stool test is all that accurate because you might judge that you didn't absorb the nutrients and that there is fat in it so it is floating when it really might just be gas in the stool that makes it float. Plus if you were going to test your reaction to certain foods, I would consider eating one serving of that food along with other foods that day that you know you aren't sensitive to.

My mom only ate half of a sauteed onion and she isn't on a 1-food diet for acne :sleep:.

1/2 sauteed onion is the size of a serving of onion rings. If 1/2 sauteed onion is too much for our bodies, everyone would know that a serving of onion rings causes horrible symptoms.

I did some research and our symptoms match "sulfur" sensitivity. Interestingly, she was diagnosed with a sulphite sensitivity when younger -- she can't drink wine because she has a similar reaction -- immediately falling asleep after a few sips of wine and feeling drugged for the rest of the day.

I don't think either of us ate too many onions, especially my mom. I think we have a sensitivity.

Edited by Dotty1

Just for the record, I don't think the floating stool test is all that accurate because you might judge that you didn't absorb the nutrients and that there is fat in it so it is floating when it really might just be gas in the stool that makes it float. Plus if you were going to test your reaction to certain foods, I would consider eating one serving of that food along with other foods that day that you know you aren't sensitive to.

As for the floating stool test...

If you have never eaten a certain food before, ignore the floating stool. But if your diet revolves around the same foods like the majority of Americans and your stools float occasionally, then a particular food is causing digestive issues.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003128.htm

Edited by Dotty1

I talked to a doctor today (a friend of the family) and he said that if my mom experienced a numb mouth and numb fingers after eating 1/2 onion, she is allergic to onions and that she is on the verge of anaphylaxis. He said I should stay away from onions too if I had cramps and diarrhea after eating sauteed onions.

Edited by Dotty1

I don't understand why everyone keeps mentioning that eating 1 food for a day or even 2 foods for two days is so unhealthy.

Haven't we all been camping once or twice in our lives when the food was sparse and we could only eat a certain food for 1 day? Have we ever had a broken car and not been able to go shopping and therefore find something in the cupboard to fill us for a day?

Or has everyone eaten 3 perfect meals each and everyday of their short lifespan?

:dance:

Edited by Dotty1

one day isn't long enough, and I doubt any doctor or health practitioner would recommend it

I'd just take it back to the most basic food groups and work your way up i.e. greens and vegetables with moderate fat intake - you were doing raw already right?

i'm on phase 1 of gabriel cousens rainbow live which is no fruit at all and my skin has cleared. i think my acne may be candida based. so now i'm eating veggies, greens, nuts, seeds, sea vegetables and superfoods. in a month or so i will experiment with berries and take it from there...

i'd recommend that before the approach you're suggesting..