Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ziko

Redness on the cheeks caused by fractional laser

I'm 3 months post my 2nd Total FX treatment and my cheeks are still pretty damn RED. I'm getting pissed off. Everywhere online it says fractional lasers only give residual redness for up to 6 weeks, how can my skin still be so red? I am skintype I-II.

Anyone else experienced this? I'm so frustrated, because my scars havn't really improved and my skin looks way worse because its blotchy red.

Is this kind of redness suppose to fade or is there a possibility that this redness still stay on the skin? It looks like my skin is taking the same time to recover as from a normal Co2 laser.

Edited by Ziko

I'm 3 months post my 2nd Total FX treatment and my cheeks are still pretty damn RED. I'm getting pissed off. Everywhere online it says fractional lasers only give residual redness for up to 6 weeks, how can my skin still be so red? I am skintype I-II.

Anyone else experienced this? I'm so frustrated, because my scars havn't really improved and my skin looks way worse because its blotchy red.

Is this kind of redness suppose to fade or is there a possibility that this redness still stay on the skin? It looks like my skin is taking the same time to recover as from a normal Co2 laser.

Ziko, What are you using on your skin at this point?

Yes I have experienced the same thing, and also I started getting frustrated. So I know exactly how you feel. I'm also skintype I-II. I had TotalFX, and it took me about 5-6 months for my skin colour get back to normal. The doc said that this can be the problem with fair skin - 6 months recovery time is quite common. I wish he had told me that before the treatment.

The results I got from TotalFX were quite moderate, so I don't think I want to experience it again. Having a red skin for 5-6 months was awful, even if I could cover it by make-up.

One more thing: there are creams that can take the redness away. There is a strong cortisone (clobetasol 0,05%) that does it. The only problem with it is that it can be harmful for collagen production IF used for long time (more than several weeks). So I would wait before going to that. I'm sure your skin will get to normal, you just have to be patient.

Did you get any improvement from TotalFX?

Ziko, What are you using on your skin at this point?

Nothing at all. I keep my skin moist and avoid the sun.

Yes I have experienced the same thing, and also I started getting frustrated. So I know exactly how you feel. I'm also skintype I-II. I had TotalFX, and it took me about 5-6 months for my skin colour get back to normal. The doc said that this can be the problem with fair skin - 6 months recovery time is quite common. I wish he had told me that before the treatment.

The results I got from TotalFX were quite moderate, so I don't think I want to experience it again. Having a red skin for 5-6 months was awful, even if I could cover it by make-up.

One more thing: there are creams that can take the redness away. There is a strong cortisone (clobetasol 0,05%) that does it. The only problem with it is that it can be harmful for collagen production IF used for long time (more than several weeks). So I would wait before going to that. I'm sure your skin will get to normal, you just have to be patient.

Did you get any improvement from TotalFX?

I'm glad im not the only one. The redness has been a real problem for me. I'm a guy so I can't use makeup. It gets alot worse when im in the gym or just a hot place (flushing), did you get this too? It's kinda weird because it's not my entire cheek that is red. It's just certain areas that are which makes my skin look kinda blotchy. Perhaps he went more aggressive on the laser at these parts or the skin was just more sensitive, I dont know.

Did your skin color completely return to normal? That's great to hear.. I was starting to fear this was permanent.

I've searched around for these "bleaching" creams before. I read stuff about it being bad for the skin and that its mainly used on people with darker skin colour. So if the redness will fade, I rather not use anything that could harm my skin.

About the results... I'm not really sure. Its been such a long time that I cant compare it when I look at myself in the mirror. From pictures my skin isn't really changed much, perhaps the scars are a little shallower, but I'm not really sure about this. If there is improvement, it's no more than 10%. Which is not even close to what the doc's promise after 2 treatments. So yeah, NOT worth it for me. The redness is worse for me than my actual scarring right now. I'll stay away from invasive treatments for now untill there is something that actually gives results. For now I might try fillers, but I think most my scars arent deep enough for this.

Edited by Ziko

I'm a guy so I can't use makeup. It gets alot worse when im in the gym or just a hot place (flushing), did you get this too?

Did your skin color completely return to normal? That's great to hear.. I was starting to fear this was permanent.

I've searched around for these "bleaching" creams before. I read stuff about it being bad for the skin and that its mainly used on people with darker skin colour. So if the redness will fade, I rather not use anything that could harm my skin.

I'll stay away from invasive treatments for now untill there is something that actually gives results. For now I might try fillers, but I think most my scars arent deep enough for this.

Probably I had the same thing (redness gets worse in the gym), I don't remember too well anymore. Besides as I'm using make-up all the time, I didn't see color changes that well. By the way, there are some very good make-ups that even a guy can use, and no one can tell you have it... But I understand if you don't want to go in to that.

Yes my skin got back to it's normal color, at least as far I can remember. The thing is that I started new treatments after 5 or 6 months. I've got better results from fraxel+prp (5 days recovery time) than from totalfx (5 months recovery time). So at the moment, there is some slight pinkness left around one scar, but I had my last fraxel treatment couple weeks ago, so I think it is mainly from that.

I'm going to do couple more fraxel and prp combos, and I'm also thinking of having fat transfers. I'm very committed improving my scars and I want to find something that really works.

The cortisone I meantioned is not a bleaching cream, but I understand if don't want use it yet. I just wanted to let you know that there are options if your skin color is not back to normal, let's say after 6 months.

Yes my skin got back to it's normal color, at least as far I can remember. The thing is that I started new treatments after 5 or 6 months. I've got better results from fraxel+prp (5 days recovery time) than from totalfx (5 months recovery time). So at the moment, there is some slight pinkness left around one scar, but I had my last fraxel treatment couple weeks ago, so I think it is mainly from that.

I'm going to do couple more fraxel and prp combos, and I'm also thinking of having fat transfers. I'm very committed improving my scars and I want to find something that really works.

Hmm, I'll look into PRP and Recell after the summer, but I'm kinda scared of invasive treatments right now. Btw, total fx also left me with a few minor scars (poresize) and every pimple i get right now (like one every 2 weeks) becomes a scar.

Was your redness blotchy aswell? Some parts of my cheek have my normal skin colour, but some parts are red, very weird.

Hmm, I'll look into PRP and Recell after the summer, but I'm kinda scared of invasive treatments right now. Btw, total fx also left me with a few minor scars (poresize) and every pimple i get right now (like one every 2 weeks) becomes a scar.

Was your redness blotchy aswell? Some parts of my cheek have my normal skin colour, but some parts are red, very weird.

Never had laser surgery myself...

But I assume that the red blotchiness is a temporary side effect caused by over collagen production after laser treatment.

It should go away with time, but if some redness or blothchiness still remains after 6 months, then a series of chemical peels or microdermabrasion treatments should sort things out.

I'm no professional though. So you should talk with your Doctor or Dermatologist if you have any concerns.

But I assume that the red blotchiness is a temporary side effect caused by over collagen production after laser treatment.

No. This kind of redness is apparent straight after the laser treatment (the patches just becomes clearer after a few months because certain parts get their colour back faster). Collagen doesnt grow this fast.

No. This kind of redness is apparent straight after the laser treatment (the patches just becomes clearer after a few months because certain parts get their colour back faster). Collagen doesnt grow this fast.

ziko, you could always try bioskinrepair. i had some bad ongoing redness after a strong tca peel. i was testing it on a large portion of my tummy and applied a strength that was too strong, and too much of it. i went to the dr and they said it would likely take a few years for the colour to fade. i have to admit they were probably right, cause i looked like a burn victim. the redness was still pretty significant, even 4 months later.

anyhoo when i used the bioskinrepair, the colour started disappearing after the first day. by the forth day it was gone and never returned. it has snail serum and some other things in it. either way, it worked and i was pretty darn impressed. this was the only thing i found the cream worked on, but when it did, the results were pretty staggering.

all the best mate.

Edited by sydney_fellow

ziko, you could always try bioskinrepair. i had some bad ongoing redness after a strong tca peel. i was testing it on a large portion of my tummy and applied a strength that was too strong, and too much of it. i went to the dr and they said it would likely take a few years for the colour to fade. i have to admit they were probably right, cause i looked like a burn victim. the redness was still pretty significant, even 4 months later.

anyhoo when i used the bioskinrepair, the colour started disappearing after the first day. by the forth day it was gone and never returned. it has snail serum and some other things in it. either way, it worked and i was pretty darn impressed. this was the only thing i found the cream worked on, but when it did, the results were pretty staggering.

all the best mate.

Dude,

Does it seem, that your face has "lost weight"?

Ziko,

How is everything going?

Well I never got any laser treatment but I did have a Dermabrasion treatment about 7 months ago and I will give you some advice.

First off, doctors for the most part, will not tell you how long the redness may last. It is either because they think they can help you and in the long term it will help or because of monetary reasons or a combination of both.

Bottom line I think the rule of thumb with dermabrasion, CO2 and other lasers (not sure which ones) will cause you to be blotchy and red and have flushing issues for....a while...Let's leave it at that.

Now...you are 3 months out.

I was experiencing redness for the most part...which faded in different areas of the dermabraded area...until about 6 months. Now at around 4-5 months the skin was more pinkish and some of the area had healed back to skin color...

(FYI I am type 1 skin...very fair skin)

At around 6 months skin was slightly better.

Now here is the problem...in those areas where you are most blotchy and experiencing flushing...that could be with you for up to a year...who knows maybe longer...

First off, I wouldn't do anything to your skin besides protect from sun with a gentle suncare lotion for at least 6-8 months.

I was told that after 8 months is when your skin really starts improving.

As far as flushing...at 7 months I don't get flushed as much...I can go to gym and relatively be okay.

However, I didn't realize my skin was still sensitive as it was...but I applied benzaclin to the area i got dermabrasion aggressively last week and I woke up very red in that area and that lasted for a few days....so be very careful up to about 8-12 months with applying any types of acne creams to that area....if you have a pimple in the area and need to treat it I would spot treat very very lightly.

Use a gentle face wash like cetaphil extra gentle.

Overall it is a waiting game and it sucks.

I would experience flushing: at gym, when out a bar or club, or when in a hot room...for the most part it is better now...

At around 7-8 months you will probably be light pinkish in the area for a bit still... and hopefully after a year you'll be fully healed as I am hoping I will.

I'd get a coverup creme from dillards or macys in the mean time for when you go out...

What sucks is I still have to use a little bit to coverup the pinkness when I go out.

This IS a waiting game and will be for a while...stay out of the sun and keep up your regimen and acne regimen and hopefully a years time will pass soon and you will be better.

Follow up with the doc ar around 5-6 months and maybe even a second doc to see how you are doing.

And I wouldn't do any scarring treatments til at least 1-1.5 years after, but if you are lik eme you will want to stay away from aggressive treatments after this experience.

Good luck, PM me if you have any q's.

btw at around 6-7.5 months about 70-85% of the redness should be gone...and you should be left with resisdual pinkness in 20% of the area and experience flushing LESS often...

That is what I would say at least.

Good luck.

Dude,

Does it seem, that your face has "lost weight"?

Mm, not really. Dont think so anyway.

btw at around 6-7.5 months about 70-85% of the redness should be gone...and you should be left with resisdual pinkness in 20% of the area and experience flushing LESS often...

That is what I would say at least.

Good luck.

Thanks for the post, gives me some hope. Allthough dermabrasion shouldnt even be close to a fractional laser in terms of downtime (atleast thats how they advertise it) I guess people with fair skin will experience redness/flushing/sensitive skin anyway.

Time will tell how it'll end up. I just wish the doctors told me about this before. What pisses me off even more is after going through all the trouble, the money and now the redness, the scars havnt really improved. Perhaps they will in the next couple of months, but I doubt it. Most people say they had most result in the first 2-3 months.

Its a tough road isn't it. Maybe it's best to just accept it and go on with life rather than trying to fix it for years only to come out worse.

Dermabrasion probably would be pretty close if not more in down time IMO.

IF what you are saying is true then expect too have downtime for while but I would imagine they are fairly close. Dermabrasion is probably more intensive in my opinion, but a doctor would know better...as I am not sure about lasers.

Anyways,

Yea that is basically where I am at I still have some residual pinkness in that area... (it pisses me off)...and I have some areas the skin looks "newer" and therefore slightly whiter than surrounding skin (I only had right cheek done and part of the cheek in center)...hopefully will all blend in eventually. Will keep you posted.

btw I would say the same thing about my scars...they have been widened and maybe less deep but haven't improved really...and have blotchy uneven skin which makes everything look worse anyway.

Believe me I feel your pain and it SUCKS and just take it easy and keep your head level is the best I can say to do.

Dermabrasion probably would be pretty close if not more in down time IMO.

IF what you are saying is true then expect too have downtime for while but I would imagine they are fairly close. Dermabrasion is probably more intensive in my opinion, but a doctor would know better...as I am not sure about lasers.

Anyways,

Yea that is basically where I am at I still have some residual pinkness in that area... (it pisses me off)...and I have some areas the skin looks "newer" and therefore slightly whiter than surrounding skin (I only had right cheek done and part of the cheek in center)...hopefully will all blend in eventually. Will keep you posted.

Thats what I meant, dermabrasion is suppose to be alot more invasive than fractional laser, but comparable to fully ablative co2.

I have the same thing with the "white skin" where the laser has been. The skin is lighter on the treated area. It has me worried a little bit, could we have lost pigment there or will it return to the same colour when it gets some sun exposure?

I have a feeling the white skin for both of us will appear less apparent as time goes on. I'd continue staying out of the sun. Don't apply too many products to the area too if you can avoid it. I am going to only really apply suncare products if I know I will be in the sun and other things. I am going to keep it very simple as far as skin care goes but I am guessing you had this laser all over whereas I can keep doing my acne product regimen of tazorac to surrounding areas to prevent acne.

Anyways, try and keep it as simple as possible. This is a waiting game. So far I went to an experienced doc today and he says he can't tell that I have had dermabrasion and that the area that is pink and sensitive to flushing etc is probably more of an area of hypervascular which means blood vessels are more present in that area and it will become less apparent in time and sometimes returns back but sometimes could be permanent (that sucks) but overall it will get better in time....time time time is what it's all about it seems. So I am going to wait and be patient.

Hypopigmentation is permanent they say but I would imagine that both ours will get better and I only have one area where it seems slightly whiter than the skin but overall it may blend better as time goes on as well.

Stay in touch.

I have a feeling the whiteness isn't too bad. However, 1,5 month later I am still pretty red.

Also, I still flush badly when it gets hot (just like people with rosacea). I'm wondering if I have developed rosacea from Co2 laser or if it's part of the healing process I have to go through right now.

Does anyone know if there's any medication to speed up the healing? Or perhaps V-Beam laser?

I'm gonna give the bioskinrepair creme a go but I have my doubts.

Edited by Ziko

Does anyone know if there's any medication to speed up the healing? Or perhaps V-Beam laser?

I've heard some really positive things about this cream...

indeed. i very much recommend bioskinrepair for red marks. i had a big patch of redness from a massive tca burn on my tummy that doctor said would take years to heal. i applied bioskinrepair for about a week and my skin was perfect again. never had a problem since. worth every cent. i used it for pitted scarring as well, but it didnt help at all for those.

Edited by mr_sunshine

indeed. i very much recommend bioskinrepair for red marks. i had a big patch of redness from a massive tca burn on my tummy that doctor said would take years to heal. i applied bioskinrepair for about a week and my skin was perfect again. never had a problem since. worth every cent. i used it for pitted scarring as well, but it didnt help at all for those.

The thing is benny, most those positive reviews were made by the company itself. And we all know the best products dont need that much advertising.

However, I believe cartweeling so I'll definitely try it. It's expensive, but I'll feel better having tried it.

The thing is benny, most those positive reviews were made by the company itself. And we all know the best products dont need that much advertising.

However, I believe cartweeling so I'll definitely try it. It's expensive, but I'll feel better having tried it.

how much do they ask for it?

how much do they ask for it?

its not too much. i placed and order for another one on wednesday. its about $75 US + shipping. id give u the exact amount but im too lazy. it came to a lot when converted into aussie dollars.

if you use it carefully, e.g dont use too much and apply it say twice a day, it should last for 3 or so weeks. i hope it works for you as well as it did for me. it was fantastic when i absolutely needed it but i do wonder if it would work for everyone.

Edited by mr_sunshine