Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm thinking of taking this as it has a higher dose of estrogen than my current pill (Diane 35). But I've read conflicting info on whether or not higher doses of this hormone will help with acne. No other birth control pills really work for me and the only time I have ever been clear is during pregnancy (when estrogen is really high). Can anyone help?

I'm not sure whether or not higher estrogen effects acne. However, I went through a couple years of trial and error with birth control pills, basically trading one side effect for another with each different pill. Without bothering to get into the reasons why, Demulen was the last one I tried specifically because of it's higher estrogen. It worked the best for me...UNTIL I started to develop migraines for the first time in my life. Several days of some of the worst pain and nausea I've ever experienced. I eventually discontinued use, but even after months of being off the pill, I'm still getting them...although, they're finally lessening in severity.

Just my personal experience that sometimes too much estrogen is definitely a bad thing.

I'm not sure whether or not higher estrogen effects acne. However, I went through a couple years of trial and error with birth control pills, basically trading one side effect for another with each different pill. Without bothering to get into the reasons why, Demulen was the last one I tried specifically because of it's higher estrogen. It worked the best for me...UNTIL I started to develop migraines for the first time in my life. Several days of some of the worst pain and nausea I've ever experienced. I eventually discontinued use, but even after months of being off the pill, I'm still getting them...although, they're finally lessening in severity.

Just my personal experience that sometimes too much estrogen is definitely a bad thing.

So it did work well for your acne though?

Sorry, wish I could tell you it did, but I'm just not sure if it really had any beneficial effect on my skin. I had already had success keeping my skin in check with previous birth control pills. My skin broke out for the first 3 months with the first pill I ever tried, but after that it remained pretty clear, regardless of all the swapping of pills I did.

So all I can really say is it did not make my skin take a turn for the worse.

I'm just thinking the higher estrogen in demulen 1/50 (50 mg) might help my acne because I was clear when I was pregnant (when your estrogen levels skyrocket). Maybe 35 mg of estrogen in diane 35 isn't enough, maybe I need more. I read somewhere that your estrogen levels can multiply to nearly 100 times their normal levels during pregnancy. This has to be why my acne cleared. It was the only time in my life I've had clear skin using no meds.

Please read my log on Demulen before you start taking that shit.......it's not even prescribed in my country......I was on Demulen 1/30.....and it has left lasting side effects that are destroying my life. It's a very low androgen potency pill.........so will it clear your acne? Likely............but will it super mess up your hormones........also likely. My blood pressure on Demulen 1/30 was 155/118......that's heart attack/stroke level..........and I'm 25, 5'9, 135lbs, non-smoker, regular gym user.....seriously please PLEASE re-consider the Demulen. If you have any questions send me a mesage..........I don't come on the hormone part of this website too often as I'm no longer on the pill.