Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lucyleigh

apple cider vinegar

I know that there are several posts on here about apple cider vinegar, but many are old. I was wondering if anyone had any experience drinking this stuff. I'm about to start my 3rd day of taking 2 tablespoons of this mixed with water. I feel like my skin has got worse since drinking ACV, but hopefully this is the purging/initial breakout process that happens to some people. Fingers crossed!

everytime i tried taking acv, my face got worse and i didnt want to this to continue so i stopped

I think it does get worse before it gets better! I actually have the same question and no one was able to answer it (or no one wanted to). I've been using it topically and it gave me more active pimples yes, but I think it reallly helps with scarring and I think it does bring the gross stuff in your skin up and out. Give it time, though (I know it's really frustrating), I've read that so many people have had amazing results with it! And my face is starting to look better with it topically, too! How's it working for you now?

Hi there! Thanks for the responses. Well it's only been one more day since my original post, but things are still looking worse than when I started. There's no doubt about that. I got some bigger pimples that seemed to come from out of nowhere! Like I didn't even see them coming and I woke up with them. But they pretty much instantly got heads, which is quicker than what normally happens for me. And a couple of the tiny under the skin kind of pimples/lesions that had been just chillin on my face for a few weeks got tiny heads on them now. So I think that is promising. I really hope this is part of the purging process because I don't want to deal with this much longer! Regardless of what happens I'm going to continue drinking apple cider vinegar for a minimum of two weeks. If things have not improved, I'll stop then. Lillith, please keep me updated on how things work for you! I applaud you for putting it on topically. I'm too much of a chicken to do that. I'll try to update this thread as well. Have a good day everyone!

Well it's day 5 and not much to report except things are still not looking good. I know it takes about 2 to 3 weeks to see results, but just a glimmer of hope would be nice (or at least if things would stop getting worse!)

Stay strong! The same thing happened to me; one night I went to bed with my face relatively the way it had been (lots of dark marks, a few clumps of active zits) and the next morning I woke up with like five new active zits that came out of NOWHERE. I think it's just part of the process, because they went away pretty quickly.

My face is looking a LOT better, and I'm just beginning week three! One side looks a lot better than the other though, which is strange. And it's funny that you say you're too much of a chicken to put it on topically, I'm too much of a chicken to swallow it! One thing about putting it on topically though, if you use too strong of a concentration it'll pop it open and make it bleed.. or maybe that's just me being too vigorous with my application.

Do you have any like chest/back acne? Have you seen any improvements with that?

If things don't get any better, maybe you need to heal your gut first, and then try it again if you feel like you need the extra acidity.

Hey lillith I don't really have a problem with body acne, but I do usually have about two zits on my back at any given time, but since starting acv my back has been clear!

imnot sure people have ever talked about any of the scientific reasons why this may help acne, which is why i was always hesitant to try it, but from learning alot about the intestinal bacteria, the healthy human flora actually makes acetic acid from fermented carbohydrates/fiber. How it seems to help the human body is by inhibiting the growth of unhealthy bacteria, as well as being used as fuel by the intestinal muscles for enhancing peristalsis, in other words, contractions are stronger and the relaxation phase is more relaxed, making it more effecient at moving the food contents throuogh the intestinal tract. This is as much science as i know so far, if acne is somehow related to intestinal bacteria, then their may be some benefit to drinking acv, otherwise, theretically of course, it should help support a healthy bowel.

If you react badly to it, then take it out, but be sure that that is the sole reason, you wouldnt want to falsy accuse something that may be beneficial in the l;ong term.

Wow that is interesting. Thanks AnonymousOne! I'm going to keep on trucking through at least the next week to see if this is going to benefit me in the long run. Still too early to tell!

It's day 8 and I think I'm going to hold off with results till I hit the two week mark! Then it'll be more accurate. Hope everyone is having a good day<3

ACV, along with some other consumable acids found in nature, can help many different problems including acne simply because the individual is lacking stomach acids. There are many different causes of acne, although all are related to some extent. If you particularly have problems with digestion, you most likely have a deficiency of stomach acids. For those who are getting negative results and may have noticed sensitivities to acidic fruits, you probably have leaky gut and need to take care of that. Once leaky gut is addressed properly and your digestive issues still occur, give the ACV another try.

I feel like if i had a leaky gut it would have been fixed or improved though because i have been on a strict no wheat/dairy/gluten diet for 2 months. But I'm not sure. Like I said only time will tell with the ACV.

As of right now i'm on day 17 of drinking 2 tablespoons of acv a day. I am happy and upset with the results all at the same time. I feel like my skin has cleared up...sort of. I had what I believe was an initial breakout the first week and that was very bad. After that healed I saw my skin improving slowly. But right now my skin is not that great. I have about 20 tiny papules on my left cheek. They aren't noticeable unless your really looking. In fact, they may only be noticeable to me, I have no idea. And I have some small ones on my chin too....not too bad there. My right cheek has some papules too but those almost completely cover with makeup so it's not a big deal. I just wish my left cheek would clear up but it's being so stubborn! I feel like even if it does clear up, some other part of my face will break out, because that is usually what happens. It's like a never ending cycle. The papules on my left cheek were there before I started taking ACV, but laid pretty much flat...so maybe this needed to happen before they healed. They don't really have a head, their just more raised. I have head many mixed things about ACV...some say they were healed in a few days and some say they almost gave up a few weeks in, but were glad they stuck with it. I feel like it's not hurting anything, and may be helping. I just really want it to CLEAR me. I'm wondering if it is enough though. I guess a couple more weeks are necessary to make that assumption. Continuing (and sticking to) my healthy diet and working out (I have been slacking a bit here this week) will be important. I may start a multivitamin this week and am thinking of taking zinc as well. Sorry for the novel, but wanted to give a through update. :)

Day 19, Status: Miserable.

Ugh, today was the 4th of july and instead of enjoying the day I just felt so self conscious about my skin. I wanted to drink with all my friends, but due to the fact that I'm afraid it will make my breakouts worse, I didn't. My skin is not doing very well and when i got home and washed my face I felt like it looked even worse than it did earlier today. Why is this happening to me? I am so frustrated I could cry...in fact yesterday I did. It seems like ACV is not going to be my miracle cure, but I have not completely given up hope. I'm giving it the full 1 month. After that I think I'm going to see a naturopath because I am at a loss. At this point i don't even care how expensive it is. I have tried topicals and diet. I am not willing to take antibiotics or the birth control pill because that will just mask the problem. What to do what to do. Sorry I'm just rambling at this point but i am so sad. It's affecting my friendships and relationship. I'm constantly sad. I need to find a solution, and seeing even just a step in the right direction would make me feel amazing at this point.

I'm sorry Lucyleigh! Don't give up hope! I think that if you really do stick with ACV it'll help you, I've just heard so many good things about it. Maybe you should keep taking it for more than a month, but add other stuff too? I would give it the month at least though.

Good luck with everything!

lucyleigh im hoping this will help you.

i do believe you may need to drop this idea of cure as a single substance from your mind, our bodies run on many substances for optimal performance, vitamins minerals, proteins fats. just doing one thing like taking acv may not do too much for your health, if you ignore everything else it also needs, but im not suggesting thatis what you are doing, because i dont know what else you are doing.

why people still think that cures are single substances, i dont know, but sometimes they can be, but i think accutane's effects on the skin have effected peoples minds a bit, even that is no miracle. tHey also tend to think of disease states as linear causative events, when actually they are multifactoral and consist of multiple contributers. for just one skin cell to grow normally probably requires every single vitamin and mineral along the way, and the same for every other cell in the body, if you are low on any one of them it could affect any process.

acv is actually acetic acid and a byproduct of bacterial fermentation, in this case its apples. Acetic acid can kill lots of bad bacteria, so it is healthy to drink it as the bacteria in our bodys make it naturally to help our intestines run smoothly. so there are many benefits from acv, but it doesnt mean you can ignore the rest of your bodys needs.

Edited by AutonomousOne1980

I totally agree with you about not ignoring the body's other needs but I feel like I'm doing everything right. I'm eating perfectly (no gluten, wheat, dairy, sugar). I get minimal sun exposure, but have been making sure to get at least a little. I get about 8 hours of sleep a day. I wash my face with good quality products. I drink enough water. And now i am taking the ACV. I mean what else could I even do? I suppose taking supplements or changing topicals (or both) are the only things I can possibly think of. I got allergy tested a few months ago and I was not allergic to anything I was tested for, but then again they only tested me for like 30 foods and 30 enviromental factors. Well I guess it's time to keep on trucking with the ACV/diet combo for the next 10 or 11 days and if there is no sign of improvement then it's back to the drawing board.

I totally agree with you about not ignoring the body's other needs but I feel like I'm doing everything right. I'm eating perfectly (no gluten, wheat, dairy, sugar). I get minimal sun exposure, but have been making sure to get at least a little. I get about 8 hours of sleep a day. I wash my face with good quality products. I drink enough water. And now i am taking the ACV. I mean what else could I even do? I suppose taking supplements or changing topicals (or both) are the only things I can possibly think of. I got allergy tested a few months ago and I was not allergic to anything I was tested for, but then again they only tested me for like 30 foods and 30 enviromental factors. Well I guess it's time to keep on trucking with the ACV/diet combo for the next 10 or 11 days and if there is no sign of improvement then it's back to the drawing board.

of course this is just my opinion, but i do not think any facial products are necessary for healthy skin, all i ever use now is warm water, no soap ever. contrasted with previous use of salicylic acid, and benzoyl peroxide, thats stuff has nothing to do with your skins health, you would very likely be better off ditching all topical anything on your face. i see it as just complicating matters.

if you cut all dairy out, you most likely will need a calcium supplement, depending on what other foods you eat that may have calcium in it.

What about a moisturizer?

And I would give the only water thing a shot, but I wear makeup so I need something to take that off. :/

What about a moisturizer?

And I would give the only water thing a shot, but I wear makeup so I need something to take that off. :/

its your decision of course, but still my opinion is nothing on the face, or maybe in your case,just less on the face. you may not agree and thats perfectly fine. its your face, ha.

When I was mineral-deficient and took ACV it made my acne worse. But after taking minerals for several months, ACV seems to clear my skin.

Try taking an ionic trace mineral supplement and a bit of baking soda in water (away from meals).

Hey all,

Just stumbled across this forum :)

I'm also just starting the ACV regimen yesterday - drinking 2T in water in the morning and at night, and wiping down my face with a 50/50 solution of it in the evening before bed.

My acne didn't appear at ALL until I was about 19, and because birth control pills were the only thing that ever seemed to help at all, I know it's probably hormonal. (and believe me, I've tried just about everything except Accutane. The stuff terrifies me... and I'm not about to start it now, I heard it can make things worse for awhile and I have a whole season of med school interviews around the corner). My acne is almost entirely huge nodules/cysts on my chin (and rarely I'll get one around my nose). I usually only have one or two at a time, but they take MONTHS to go away. It's so painful that it's impossible not to touch, even though I know it's terrible for me! When I feel one coming on, my entire chin will be swollen and tender and the lymph nodes under and around the sides of my chin will swell up. It's not a fun experience.

Anyway, I will keep posting about my experiences with ACV, but I'm having a weird reaction so far. My muscles and joints are extremely sore, almost like I have the flu, but slightly differently. I had these symptoms once before a few years ago with a medication I took, and I'm wondering if (1) I could be allergic to apple cider vinegar and (2) If perhaps this is what they call a "healing crisis" that occurs once you start a detox program. I'm not inclined to believe that a day of a few spoonfuls of ACV can do this, but you never know...

Has anybody else had any weird reactions'?

Hmm...I didn't experience any of the symptoms you described. But I have been dealing with getting lightheaded especially when standing up quickly. Kinda random, but it hasn't been too big of a deal.

BTW I am approaching the beginning of my 24th day drinking ACV!

Ok guys today is day 28. So I have been drinking ACV for exactly 4 weeks. What I have come to realize is that ACV is not going to be my miracle cure. But I do feel like it keeps my acne a bit more "controlled" so I will continue to drink it. I feel like I am on the right track by drinking ACV, but that there are other pieces to the puzzle. Like maybe I need vitamins or something. So I will break down the journey I have had so far with ACV for those who are interested: I had a terrible initial breakout. Then things got better for a couple days and I broke out again. After that subsided I was left with a few pimples but lots of tiny bumps. These bumps are mostly on my cheeks. It seems like for the past 2 weeks I have only had to deal with maybe 3 to 4 pimples on a given day but these tiny bumps are almost worse. They make my skin texture look terrible. So that's what I have going on right now. Anyone know something good to use on the bumps to get them to go away? Maybe I should actually try the ACV externally, but I dunno. I think I'm going to start taking evening primrose oil this week. Anyone have any experience with this? One other thing I just started 2 days ago is taking cold showers. I heard the hot water and steam can irritate acne prone skin. I doubt that the showers alone are going to clear me, but anything to help solve the puzzle.