Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
checkerz982

stupid cysts WILL NOT go away?!

I've seriously had these cysts all over my chin for maybe a year or more now. They pop up whenever they feel like it, and I can't get rid of them to save my own life. They don't really show much.. just get kinda red, although the stupid monster ones show a giant red bump. Anyways, help?! I can't really go to a Derm. for a while though... :cry:

Hey Checkerz!

Hope things are going well. Cystic acne is severe acne as you must already know. I've had cystic acne for many years now. I started an Isotretinoin treatment 3 months ago. You might know about Accutane, it's isotretinoin. It diminishes excess sebum production. I've seen dramatic results just in the three months I've been on it.

You might be able to explore other options, like antibiotics like erythromycin, which is usually available by prescription from your family doctor. Here in Canada, it is possible to get antibiotics for acne through a family doctor. I'd start by going to see your doctor.

Other points:

Cleansers are an important part of taking control of your acne, or at least minimizing irritation. Here are a few tips based on my personal experience.

-Rarely exfoliate: Do not exfoliate areas that are already red or irritated. Acne prone skin IS irritated skin. You do not need to exfoliate everyday. I do it once a week, and do it ever so gently with bead based exfoliants. Do not use scratching exfoliators like St.Ives or something like that.

-Moisturize with non comedogenic products. I personally use Cetaphil. It works great on my skin, and is easy on the wallet. I use Cetaphil gentle face cleanser and Cetaphil gentle moisturiser for oily skin.

It's super soft on your skin and is probably something you need.

I hope this helps. BTW, my advice is not medical, it's personal. It shouldn't be taken as medical advice. A real doctor, family or derm would be able to help you with medical issues.

Take care! Good luck!

Jizan.

thanks for the tips Jizan! :) when i went to the derm. a while back he kept saying Accutane was the only way to go.. I just didn't want to take it because of the requirements of blood and pregnancy tests every month, and all the scary side-effects. (:

thanks for the tips Jizan! :) when i went to the derm. a while back he kept saying Accutane was the only way to go.. I just didn't want to take it because of the requirements of blood and pregnancy tests every month, and all the scary side-effects. (:

Suggest an anti androgen pill like Spironolactone or Aldactone. Some dermatologists prescribe these off label to treat acne. They work by controlling your androgen levels and reducing your oil production. While anti-biotics and crazy creams and butters treat, this stuff is used to PREVENT. I am going to the doctor tomorrow to get a prescription for myself. If you have cystic acne you need something to regulate your hormones and this stuff is made just fr that. :) good luck friend

thanks, i'll try and remember those at my appointment :)

Let me know how it works for you! I'm talking to my derma about them too for my appointment.