Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bblah

Is the treatment I've been using for almost a year causing my acne?

Alright. I "developed" a regimen at least 10 months ago and have been using it ever since. I saw Dan's treatment on this site, and decided to make a variation of it. My acne is pretty mild, but still noticeable, and it's only on my chin and around my lips, so I put the treatment there only.

Every morning and every night, I wash my face with regular bar soap. (Was using Lever 2000 for a long time, but just recently switched to the clear Neutrogena Facial bar.) I dry it, and apply a layer of Benzoyl Peroxide, but I use the Clean and Clear 10% vanishing acne formula. I let it dry for about 3 minutes, and then I apply jojoba oil, which moisturizes and makes the dry skin and B.P. unnoticeable, and pat with a kleenex to get rid of the excess oil and shininess. That's really all I do.

I still get pimples here and there, but the treatment has worked well. BUT my face is very, very dry when I don't have jojoba oil on it, and I mean really flaky and stuff, and that cant be good. My chin is covered in little clogged pores - little blackheads all over. I feel like maybe the B.P. is doing this. I started using baking soda, and I really like it, so I'm thinking about stopping everything and using that on its own, but I really don't want to stop something that is working decently well. For some reason, I have been breaking out a little more lately, and it's frustrating, and it really just makes me want to do something.

I'm afraid that if I stop the B.P., all those little blackheads will have to turn into full-blown zits before they get better. Is this the case? Or can I exfoliate to get rid of them?

Neither of my parents had acne when they were my age, and that leads me to think that this treatment I've been using is causing all my frustration over my skin. I eat fairly well, a lot better than most. I almost never eat fast food, and I drink a LOT of water every day.

So what should I do to restore my skin from all this B.P. use? It's really flaky and dry, and has clogged pores all over. My acne really isn't too bad, but I just graduated from high school and am going to be moving out sometime within the next 6 months, and I don't want to have to do anything about my acne if it's not necessary.

Any help would be very greatly appreciated.

Edited by bblah

Do you smoke? or what. clogged pores might be there because either you have oily skin, your environment is not very clean or you apply too much jojoba oil. BP @ 10% for mild acne, in my view, is too much ... 2,5% is OK.

I think the bar is ok but you need to moisturize with something else mixed with a little bit of jojoba oil. My moisturizer contain jojoba seed oil in the ingredients (avene clean ac). I use just a little.

Also, you can use a toner with Salicylic Acid or a moisturizer for the night with a little bit of SA (apply this only in your chin).