Staring at a comput...

Notifications
Clear all

Staring at a computer screen alot? Look in here.

MemberMember
(@ben90)

Posted : 06/17/2010 6:40 am

Right, so first off il say i've had acne for a long time, all through my teens so its not a recent thing. I've always played alot of computer games, starting off with consoles and moving onto the PC when I got upto like 16, and this is when my acne started getting worse.

Now im assuming that if most people here are like me, they spend hours inside on the PC staring at a bright monitor because their too ashamed to go out. I also realise that oil production is the main reason for acne, after all without the excess oil you dont get spots, hence accutanes effectiveness most of the time.

The reason I started this thread is because for me, there is a CLEAR correlation between looking at a computer screen and oil production. The longer I look at one, the more oily my skin becomes, and the pores around the side my nose become noticeably larger. I've spoken to a couple others who also found this to be the case, but for some reason never connected the two.

Now though, i've barely touched my computer that I play CSS on for almost 2 weeks, and only used the laptops for 30 mins max without a break and I have to say the difference in oil production is actually INSANE! Its more than halved, without being generous. As a result, my skin is becoming a fair amount better, and I am only recovering from my 2 week binge on the computer since I left it. Since I have had only one new spot, ONE!

I honestly urge people to keep an eye on this and post any feedback they find, as I feel its a real big cause for most without realising, and is obviously something that can be quite easily sorted out, Its a painfully boring first two weeks, but it makes such a difference and is definately worth it.

(p.s) I really had no idea where to put this so sorry if its in the wrong section.

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 06/17/2010 7:08 am

Moved to Oily Skin Issues as it seems to fit there the best. :)

MemberMember
(@ben90)

Posted : 06/17/2010 8:32 am

hehe whoops!

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 06/17/2010 8:42 am

hehe whoops!

It's no problem at all. :) Many people seem to mistakenly post in acne research. Take a look at all the moved posts in there!

MemberMember
(@q_p)

Posted : 06/17/2010 4:48 pm

Have you stopped playing video games? Playing video games can increase testosterone levels, and I'd bank on that being the cause of your excess oil rather than the screen.

MemberMember
(@alex_09)

Posted : 06/17/2010 7:09 pm

I never spent much time with computers until about 1.5 years ago when I got my laptop. My skin has remained the same. Well better actually since I now have a proper regimen to follow...

MemberMember
(@ben90)

Posted : 06/18/2010 6:53 am

Have you stopped playing video games? Playing video games can increase testosterone levels, and I'd bank on that being the cause of your excess oil rather than the screen.

Yes, but even since i've only been browsing the web on the laptop, I still see more oil than if I was reading a book for an hour, and im sure I dont get excited from reading forums!

MemberMember
(@demaguil)

Posted : 06/18/2010 9:36 am

Right, so first off il say i've had acne for a long time, all through my teens so its not a recent thing. I've always played alot of computer games, starting off with consoles and moving onto the PC when I got upto like 16, and this is when my acne started getting worse.

Now im assuming that if most people here are like me, they spend hours inside on the PC staring at a bright monitor because their too ashamed to go out. I also realise that oil production is the main reason for acne, after all without the excess oil you dont get spots, hence accutanes effectiveness most of the time.

The reason I started this thread is because for me, there is a CLEAR correlation between looking at a computer screen and oil production. The longer I look at one, the more oily my skin becomes, and the pores around the side my nose become noticeably larger. I've spoken to a couple others who also found this to be the case, but for some reason never connected the two.

Now though, i've barely touched my computer that I play CSS on for almost 2 weeks, and only used the laptops for 30 mins max without a break and I have to say the difference in oil production is actually INSANE! Its more than halved, without being generous. As a result, my skin is becoming a fair amount better, and I am only recovering from my 2 week binge on the computer since I left it. Since I have had only one new spot, ONE!

I honestly urge people to keep an eye on this and post any feedback they find, as I feel its a real big cause for most without realising, and is obviously something that can be quite easily sorted out, Its a painfully boring first two weeks, but it makes such a difference and is definately worth it.

(p.s) I really had no idea where to put this so sorry if its in the wrong section.

is this for real?because im using my computer from 10:am to 11:00pm at midnight.

MemberMember
(@jayq)

Posted : 06/18/2010 9:50 am

is this for real?because im using my computer from 10:am to 11:00pm at midnight.

Wondering the same, because i have to do a lot of office work at work on the computer and when i get home i am usually on it for the most part. I also play video games here and there, either on PC or on Console. Usually though its just browsing these forums and always researching for answers to this freakin disease.

MemberMember
(@jay326)

Posted : 06/18/2010 12:50 pm

People come up with the craziest things.

MemberMember
(@ben90)

Posted : 06/18/2010 4:06 pm

Absolutely, do you suffer from oily skin at all?

Wondering the same, because i have to do a lot of office work at work on the computer and when i get home i am usually on it for the most part. I also play video games here and there, either on PC or on Console. Usually though its just browsing these forums and always researching for answers to this freakin disease.

People come up with the craziest things.

Fact of the matter is, when I look at a screen my skins become oily, when I dont, it stays fine. Cant really argue with that so I dont see why its crazy :)

MemberMember
(@alex_09)

Posted : 06/19/2010 8:54 pm

It could be a reverse placebo effect. If you tell yourself you WILL get more oily by looking at a screen that that is exactly what your brain will tell your body to do. I used to think that masturbating broke me out (and it did) but then I decided to test it so I told myself- When i do this my skin will NOT get worse. And it didnt. Now I hear you can tell it to get better. havent tried that one yet. Dot underestimate the powers of psychology!

MemberMember
(@crystal_willow)

Posted : 06/20/2010 1:52 pm

I think this connects to several things:

things which can improve skin:

exersizing, daylight and skin/lung exposure to fresher air (more oxygen)

things which are decreased the longer you spend on a computer:

exersizing, daylight and skin/lung exposure to fresher air

I think sedentary lifestyles exacerbate acne symptoms, even if you dont go outside you will get more exersize doing most things which dont involve staring at a screan cause usually when you are staring at a screen you are sitting in the dark doing... not much.

being at all active also decreases stress levels which have been connected to skin and overall health.

MemberMember
(@skin-matters)

Posted : 06/27/2010 10:28 pm

I thought this was crazy too, not when i read this, but when i think back in my situation.

I started getting oily skin too when i first started using computers at school, and when i got a computer for home, this was when i was noticing i was getting oily skin.

This was one major change in my life i had to think back to.

Not sure if it isn't, not really sure what to think.

Though i do think there may be like some chemicals or radiation (i don't know) something that may be coming out from the computer?? You never know some people who are sensitive to certain things.

MemberMember
(@soosyv)

Posted : 06/28/2010 11:59 am

"Though i do think there may be like some chemicals or radiation (i don't know) something that may be coming out from the computer?? You never know some people who are sensitive to certain things."

no... if anything, this is related to the diurnal behavior

MemberMember
(@gs3)

Posted : 07/01/2010 5:10 pm

I'm not sure whether It's staring at a screen which increases oil production. My acne was worse when I used to play video games, all I did was shout at my console when the slightest thing went wrong, this caused me to get all hot, stressed and agitated, and being so involved in the game i didn't notice how oily my face was getting! So I just cut out video games all together, took up reading :D

MemberMember
(@sanam_b)

Posted : 07/15/2010 12:28 pm

You might have a point there! My acne has got worse in the pas few days, and I've been using my laptop a lot. something about the LCD screens, I guess. . . Or it could be just an unhealthy lifestyle.

MemberMember
(@mr-pineapple)

Posted : 07/15/2010 12:49 pm

Counterstrike: Source is tha BEST! I don't think it's related to my acne though I never played games or looked at pc monitors a lot in college and I broke out insanely there.

MemberMember
(@cheycheyenne)

Posted : 07/23/2010 8:44 pm

I got my worst acne while using the computer a lot. However, I used the computer all the time my freshman year of high school and didn't break out as bad. I had mild acne even in grade school when I never used the computer. Plus, I get oily skin anywhere I go...especially at school. I don't think I produce more oil while sitting in front of the computer.

MemberMember
(@jvkea2)

Posted : 07/26/2010 11:45 am

It sounds crazy, but very possible. Think about it: certain types of light DEFINITELY affect acne. Sunlight, obviously. Red and blue light supposedly destroy acne bacteria. Lasers are used to slow sebaceous glands. Maybe the light from a computer screen does in fact exacerbate acne/oily skin. I research on the computer at least a few hours a day, and my skin is very oily. I need to find out what type of light a computer screen produces.

MemberMember
(@denialz)

Posted : 07/29/2010 6:41 pm

I think this connects to several things:

things which can improve skin:

exersizing, daylight and skin/lung exposure to fresher air (more oxygen)

things which are decreased the longer you spend on a computer:

exersizing, daylight and skin/lung exposure to fresher air

I think sedentary lifestyles exacerbate acne symptoms, even if you dont go outside you will get more exersize doing most things which dont involve staring at a screan cause usually when you are staring at a screen you are sitting in the dark doing... not much.

being at all active also decreases stress levels which have been connected to skin and overall health.

Ive noticed the complete opposite. I lost my job about two months back and have become quite sedentary to what im used too. (no car i walked to work took about 75 minutes.) and my acne has pretty much vanished. I think the sunlight made my skin break out.

MemberMember
(@ben90)

Posted : 08/01/2010 1:59 pm

Im not even THINKING that it makes my skin oilier now, im 100% sure it does and im sure its the same for other people. Once again, little computer use for a week and things have improved.

Its worth mentioning I always exercised, went to the gym 3 times a week and spent atleast 30 mins outside most days and I never ever 'told' myself I would get oiler using the computer. Its just how it is.

MemberMember
(@soosyv)

Posted : 08/01/2010 5:38 pm

oily skin has nothing to do with staring at the screen, in fact, it gets to the core of all skin related illnesses

MemberMember
(@forevermore)

Posted : 08/02/2010 5:53 pm

I can truly say that staring at a computer screen DOES NOT cause your skin to be oily. Just recently, I was away for a three-week summer program where I only used a computer twice, for less than half an hour, in 21 days. My skin didn't produce less oil either.

MemberMember
(@ben90)

Posted : 08/03/2010 5:36 am

Well I must be special! Wahey!