Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
edt85

Head itches a lot

So I'm about 2 weeks into Accutane, so far I've been lucky and have had minimal side effects (usual lips drying, and a little bit of peeling)

But I've been noticing the past week or so my head has really started to itch a lot. I don't have dandruff or anything.

Any suggestions???

Thanks.

Although it may not seem like you have dandruff right now , your head is starting to dry out ( hence accutane is doing its job ) ... You will start getting dandruff. Save yourself the flakes and go out and buy head n shoulders and start using it now! Trust me ive done tane' four times :)

Although it may not seem like you have dandruff right now , your head is starting to dry out ( hence accutane is doing its job ) ... You will start getting dandruff. Save yourself the flakes and go out and buy head n shoulders and start using it now! Trust me ive done tane' four times :)

Head and Shoulders actually made MY itchy head worse (although I normally don't have a problem with it).

I switched to Johnson&Johnson baby shampoo, and only shampoo my hair when I absolutely have to (every 3 days or so) and it keeps the itchiness down.

drink alot of water and try a deep conditioner for your hair.accutane is extremely drying .i was on it in the winter my hands used to get so dry and cracked they would bleed same with my lips.you have to condition all over.it will all be worth it !!!take care of yourself.

Well regardless which brand ( I just said head and shoulders cause thats what I used ) your going to want to get a dandruff shampoo :)!

Actually, no. Dandruff (not flaking due to dryness, but actual DANDRUFF) is caused by:

1. Skin oil commonly referred to as sebum or sebaceous secretions

2. The metabolic by-products of skin micro-organisms (most specifically Malassezia yeasts)

3. Individual susceptibility

So dandruff shampoos work to a) kill off fungus and b) strip the scalp of the excess oil.

I recommended baby shampoo because it's less drying, which is what's causing the OP's flakes.

Some people on Accutane can use dandruff shampoos, but for me it made my head BURN and ITCH. Even though I'd used it prior to Accutane with no problems.