Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
XianXian

cooking smoke causing acne?

Okay so 2 months ago, i started cooking at home, and when I cook, all the oil smoke goes to my face, and on the bottom of my face where the smoke goes to, i started growing big pimples there, and white little bumps also, so my question is

Does cooking oil smoke cause acne as well?

but just 2 months ago I stated using AHA, and since then I grew white little bumps on the bottom of my face as well, I don't know which one is causing it.

There are many varieties of acne and many different treatment plans. Technically called acne vulgaris, this skin disease affects millions of Americans annually. Nearly 85% of people develop acne at some time between the ages of 12-25 years , Checkout more hints here === ====

between the smoke and aha i would choose the smoke, but thats a complete guess. who knows. i would stop doing both and see if the acne goes away. then start one and see if you develop acne. you know whole process of elimination thing.

i've heard of initial breakout when starting to use an aha andf then it starts working for people.

Ermm... smoking oil in general is not a great thing. Peroxidized lipids and other carcinogenic combustion products result. (Not to mention the fire hazard)

What are you doing that's causing this? If you use oils with the right smoke points for different types of cooking, you shouldn't be getting smoke.

Off the top of my head, try using only refined canola, refined sunflower, or refined safflower for deep frying. Grapeseed/Avocado or any of the previous for pan frying. Olive oil only on top of already cooked foods (like as a topping or salad dressing), or as part of a water based sauce (like pasta sauce).

Google cooking oil "smoke points" for more information. There is some conflicting info, but from across what I've read, canola is safe/cheap choice for frying, and olive oil should only be used at low temperatures. I've been using grapeseed as of late for pan frying, but it is a little expensive.

Sorry, I know all this advice was unsolicited, but I couldn't let it go...

Yes, I have read that standing over hot cooking oil/grease can lead to acne flares. Its possible that the AHA is part of the problem too - sometimes new products cause an initial flareup of acne or clog your pores, depending on what other ingredients are in the product.

You could try stopping the AHA and see if that helps. Can you change your cooking habits? How long are you standing over the cooking oil when you cook?