Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SKguy

Hypertrophic Scar In My Ear

So I got my conch pierced in my right ear in January. Like maybe not even a month later, I noticed a huge bump come up. I thought it was weird because I've never developed an infecting from a piercing, and I always keep it clean, etc. I've been treating it ever since as though it was an infection. Tea tree oil, lemon juice, peroxide, salt water, everything! When I went to the piercer 2 months after having the piercing (about 5 weeks later) she told me it looked like an infection and said to now clean it 3 times a day with very salty (non iodized, of course) warm water. I did that for another month and no improvement. Finally I have cracked the code though - It's not an infection. That is why it hasn't responded to ANYTHING that I have put on it. I still have the hoop in the piercing. So I need help.

Should I take the piercing out and just keep the whole area clean with tea tree oil twice daily again?

Should I take out the piercing and see if my doc will give me a perscription for silicon sheets to help the hypertrophic scar?

What should I do?

Any help would be nice, and ASAP would be even better! xP I've had this too long and I want to get it over it. I know these scars last forever and I'll still have a mark and blah blah blah. But what should I do help this?

I obviously can't move the piercing cause it hurts too much and it looks disgusting. Honestly, if you see it, you'd think it's an infected piercing.

So yah, any help would be nice! :)

That definitely sounds like a keloidal reaction to the piercing. :(

You would probably want to go to a doctor to make sure, though. It will probably be best to take out the piercing as the continued irritation from the piercing may just enlarge the keloid even more.

Silicone sheets (in the USA) are over the counter, non-prescription. It may be the same in Canada, but I don't know. I'd definitely go to a regular doctor or a derm for further advice on what to do.

That definitely sounds like a keloidal reaction to the piercing. :(

You would probably want to go to a doctor to make sure, though. It will probably be best to take out the piercing as the continued irritation from the piercing may just enlarge the keloid even more.

Silicone sheets (in the USA) are over the counter, non-prescription. It may be the same in Canada, but I don't know. I'd definitely go to a regular doctor or a derm for further advice on what to do.

As far as I know, silicone sheets in Canada are prescription only.

Cica-Care is now available on prescription. Ask your doctor or nurse about treatment.

That's off the Canadian website.

So I'd have to visit the doctor for that anyways. And hey, what is a keloid anyways? I've googled around and such and managed to find a picture that looked just my piercing (found here) but I only have the one conch piercing. Along with that picture it stated

although they look like keloids, they are most likely hypertrophic scarring, which is much more common and a lot easier to treat.

The "treatment" was simple tea tree oil on it once a day, which I've done with nothing happening before. So I guess I'll pick up the phone and call the doctor's office and try to make an appointment. Tell them whats going on, and say it's either a keloid or hypertrophic scar, and see if they tell me to take out the piercing or leave it in. Actually, I could even call the health line here and ask them, which would be must faster! Hehe.

Thanks for the advice man!

Excellent, hope you get into see the derm pretty quickly. :)

You could also call a local pharmacy and see if there are over the counter silicone scar sheets available. Talk with your doctor and the pharmacist about which ones might have the best reviews.

Excellent, hope you get into see the derm pretty quickly. :)

You could also call a local pharmacy and see if there are over the counter silicone scar sheets available. Talk with your doctor and the pharmacist about which ones might have the best reviews.

Silicon sheets are only available via prescription in Canada.

I also called the Healthline here and they are useless as f*** and all they told me was to go see my doctor. Anyway, the pharmacist said to get into any London Drugs or anything like that and try a topical scar reducer. Weird advice, I'm aware. So I dunno ... neither would tell me to either take it out or leave it in - because they are "not a doctor, so can't say anything." I'm just gunna take it out and make sure I keep it clean with tea tree oil daily and see what happens.

Thanks man, you were probably more help than the "professionals" today.